Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New streamer suggestions?
04-04-2016, 21:17
New streamer suggestions?
Between Synology DS112 and dac I'm using a Pioneer N-30 streamer. I want to upgrade for sound quality and gapless playing. (The N-30 only plays gapless when using it's own ugly remote app.) I'm looking at the Auralic Aries Mini with SBooster PSU. Current alternatives seem to be the Raspberry Pi with digi+ or the Sonore Sonicorbiter. Aries Mini seem to win compared to the Moon 180 MiND. Full size units like the CA CXN are less attractive because they don't fit in my system. I'm not prepared to spend more than about 1000 euro's. Anyone other suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2016, 06:31
RE: New streamer suggestions?
Just one point : you can play gapless by installing bubbleupnp server on top of minimserver

It creates an openHome renderer, which manages the playlist related features : have a whole CD playing, gapless, etc. using lumin app

It is just sometimes slow...
05-04-2016, 17:35
(05-04-2016 06:31)lyapounov Wrote:  Just one point : you can play gapless by installing bubbleupnp server on top of minimserver

I tried that several times. Installing is not a problem. Bubbleupnp sees the NAS and the N-30 streamer. But in the Openhome menu "gapless" is grayed out. It seems the N-30 can't play gapless in Openhome setting. So Openhome works but is of no use.
05-04-2016, 19:28 (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 19:28 by krutsch.)
(05-04-2016 17:35)jaaptina Wrote:  I tried that several times. Installing is not a problem. Bubbleupnp sees the NAS and the N-30 streamer. But in the Openhome menu "gapless" is grayed out. It seems the N-30 can't play gapless in Openhome setting. So Openhome works but is of no use.

Gapless isn't provided by BubbleUPnP Server unless the device already supports gapless playback.

Here's a really inexpensive and great sounding solution: Cubox-i4Pro ($139 US) + iFi Audio iPower 5v PSU ($49.00) + Volumio.org (free).

Works great as an OpenHome renderer with MinimServer, supporting gapless playback and outputs via S/PDIF (TOSLINK) or USB out. I personally use TOSLINK and it works flawlessly up to 192/24.

EDIT: see solid-run.com to buy the Cubox-i.
06-04-2016, 14:37
The Aries Mini is a nice little box, works well and sounds fine. For about $550 it comes with a 1 year subscription to Tidal Hifi.
23-11-2016, 20:22 (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 20:23 by jaaptina.)
After asking for streamer suggestions and getting answers I have upgraded to an Aries Mini. It's a really big upgrade in sound quality. Better staging better sounding highs. I had not thought it would be such a difference.
Now knowing the influence the music server has in the system I decided to upgrade again. Sold the Aries Mini and bought a Sonore microRendu. With quality power supply it makes an even bigger difference (blacker background)Big Grin.