Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer start error: see system log.
01-04-2016, 11:09
MinimServer start error: see system log.
Dear all,

I am using a Synology 213, with DSM 6.0. In the last few iterations of minimserver, I have been having some kind of restarting issues after the NAS goes to sleep and wake up automatically. I will have to manually restart Minimserver before it can plays more music. With 6.0, now it shows that there is an error, but the restarting issue kind of disappeared. Can anyone make sense of this log (or is it the correct log in the first place)? Thanks!

Attached File(s)
.txt  log.txt (Size: 188.72 KB / Downloads: 3)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2016, 18:39
RE: MinimServer start error: see system log.
(01-04-2016 11:09)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Dear all,

I am using a Synology 213, with DSM 6.0. In the last few iterations of minimserver, I have been having some kind of restarting issues after the NAS goes to sleep and wake up automatically. I will have to manually restart Minimserver before it can plays more music. With 6.0, now it shows that there is an error, but the restarting issue kind of disappeared. Can anyone make sense of this log (or is it the correct log in the first place)? Thanks!

There is a lot in this log and I am not sure what kind of error you are referring to. Please can you say more about the error you are seeing.
02-04-2016, 03:14
Hi Simon what happened is that in recent months when my NAS is waken up at its specified time Minimserver does not start readily. Minimserver status page will indicate that the server has stopped. The Synology page will indicate that "MinimServer needed to be stopped using a forced kill". In the past, minimserver will start and run automatically with no such issues.

Later when the NAS has been updated to DSM 6, it indicates that "MinimServer start error: see system log". I have no idea what the error is, but the minimserver is running with music. It may not be a working issue, but not comfortable that the NAS indicates that there is an error, and if it is related to the above issue. Hope this is clearer. Thanks!
02-04-2016, 05:56
(02-04-2016 03:14)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Later when the NAS has been updated to DSM 6, it indicates that "MinimServer start error: see system log". I have no idea what the error is, but the minimserver is running with music. It may not be a working issue, but not comfortable that the NAS indicates that there is an error, and if it is related to the above issue. Hope this is clearer.
I've also been seeing this complaint from DSM 6.0 when starting MinimServer, but the log shows no error, and MinimServer seems healthy.
02-04-2016, 10:11
(02-04-2016 03:14)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon what happened is that in recent months when my NAS is waken up at its specified time Minimserver does not start readily. Minimserver status page will indicate that the server has stopped. The Synology page will indicate that "MinimServer needed to be stopped using a forced kill". In the past, minimserver will start and run automatically with no such issues.

This indicates a MinimServer crash, probably caused by an ohNet problem.

If it happens again, please use File Station to copy the file MinimServer/appData/minimserver-out.log to another location before you restart MinimServer, then post the contents of this file here. Please also check the MinimServer/appData folder to see if there are any files with names starting hs_err_pid or mnimserver-crash and attach any such files to a post here. Many thanks!

Quote:Later when the NAS has been updated to DSM 6, it indicates that "MinimServer start error: see system log". I have no idea what the error is, but the minimserver is running with music. It may not be a working issue, but not comfortable that the NAS indicates that there is an error, and if it is related to the above issue. Hope this is clearer. Thanks!

You can view the system log by opening Log Center from the DSM main menu. What is the MinimServer error message that was written to the system log?
02-04-2016, 10:13
(02-04-2016 05:56)earnmyturns Wrote:  I've also been seeing this complaint from DSM 6.0 when starting MinimServer, but the log shows no error, and MinimServer seems healthy.

Were you looking at the MinimServer log or the DSM system log? You can view the system log by opening Log Center from the DSM main menu. Is there a MinimServer error message in the system log?
04-04-2016, 16:12 (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 16:20 by Paradox2701.)
Hi Simon, the problem has reared its head again this evening. The NAS error log says Error - System - 2016/04/04 19:32:32 - SYSTEM - MinimServer start error: .
(02-04-2016 10:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-04-2016 03:14)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon what happened is that in recent months when my NAS is waken up at its specified time Minimserver does not start readily. Minimserver status page will indicate that the server has stopped. The Synology page will indicate that "MinimServer needed to be stopped using a forced kill". In the past, minimserver will start and run automatically with no such issues.

This indicates a MinimServer crash, probably caused by an ohNet problem.

If it happens again, please use File Station to copy the file MinimServer/appData/minimserver-out.log to another location before you restart MinimServer, then post the contents of this file here. Please also check the MinimServer/appData folder to see if there are any files with names starting hs_err_pid or mnimserver-crash and attach any such files to a post here. Many thanks!

Quote:Later when the NAS has been updated to DSM 6, it indicates that "MinimServer start error: see system log". I have no idea what the error is, but the minimserver is running with music. It may not be a working issue, but not comfortable that the NAS indicates that there is an error, and if it is related to the above issue. Hope this is clearer. Thanks!

You can view the system log by opening Log Center from the DSM main menu. What is the MinimServer error message that was written to the system log?

Attached File(s)
.txt  errorlog.txt (Size: 25.72 KB / Downloads: 4)
04-04-2016, 17:00
(04-04-2016 16:12)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon, the problem has reared its head again this evening. The NAS error log says Error - System - 2016/04/04 19:32:32 - SYSTEM - MinimServer start error: .

There should normally be more text after this. Can you scroll the system log to the right to see if there is any more?

Thanks for attaching a copy of the minimserver.log file. For a problem like this, I need to see the minimserver-out.log file (see my previous post). You need to copy this file before restarting MinimServer because it is overwritten when MinimServer starts. Many thanks!
05-04-2016, 02:24
Hi Simon,
there is no more 'on the right' of the error log. It just has that full stop.
For the error, the interesting thing is that as I mentioned the music still plays. Apparently the server will restart itself (??my wild guess??) and be able to run. When I reached home at 8 pm I could start the music using the UPnP controller just fine. The only indication of any error I get is that it is an error in the NAS log. So it has kind of bewildered me a bit. As I rescanned the server, I think I lost that minim-out log that you required that has time stamp 19:32, without realizing I erased that particular log. Sad

(04-04-2016 17:00)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 16:12)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon, the problem has reared its head again this evening. The NAS error log says Error - System - 2016/04/04 19:32:32 - SYSTEM - MinimServer start error: .

There should normally be more text after this. Can you scroll the system log to the right to see if there is any more?

Thanks for attaching a copy of the minimserver.log file. For a problem like this, I need to see the minimserver-out.log file (see my previous post). You need to copy this file before restarting MinimServer because it is overwritten when MinimServer starts. Many thanks!
05-04-2016, 09:32
(05-04-2016 02:24)Paradox2701 Wrote:  Hi Simon,
there is no more 'on the right' of the error log. It just has that full stop.
For the error, the interesting thing is that as I mentioned the music still plays. Apparently the server will restart itself (??my wild guess??) and be able to run. When I reached home at 8 pm I could start the music using the UPnP controller just fine. The only indication of any error I get is that it is an error in the NAS log. So it has kind of bewildered me a bit. As I rescanned the server, I think I lost that minim-out log that you required that has time stamp 19:32, without realizing I erased that particular log. Sad

From this, it seems that a stray '.' was somehow written to the minimserver-out.log file and this caused MinimServer to write the '.' to the system log. MinimServer did not fail to start and this is why it was running normally at 8 pm. You can safely ignore any similar occurrences. I will try to find out what caused the '.' to be written.