Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS and Denon CEOL RCDN9
15-03-2016, 13:24
RE: MS and Denon CEOL RCDN9
(15-03-2016 13:15)bubbleguuum Wrote:  BubbleUPnP Server supports gapless for the wrapped OH renderer, if the underlying UPnP AV renderer supports it. That is, if the SetNextAVTransportURI action is present and working (some renderers have a dummy action or SetNextAVTransportURI is just broken).
Sorry, Bubbleguuum didn't see your post before I posted (was rather long)!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2016, 14:26 (This post was last modified: 15-03-2016 14:40 by Cebolla.)
(14-03-2016 22:33)mightyoakbob Wrote:  
(14-03-2016 20:20)Cebolla Wrote:  As a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer you should also be able to use the BubbleUPnP Server helper software to provide OpenHome emulation for the Denon and therefore use the same OpenHome controller app for the Denon as you are for your Linn Akurate DS (eg the Linn Kazoo app). You should be able to install the BubbleUPnP Server on your Synology NAS:
http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnp...gy_install

Gapless playback, renderer owned current playlist, TIDAL & Qobuz access should then be supported by the Denon as it would be by the Linn Akurate using the Linn Kazoo app.

Wow. I knew nothing of this. Thanks for the heads up.

Can't quite get my head around it if I'm honest.

Cheers,

Bob.
Shouldn't be too difficult to install (it requires the Java runtime, but you should already have this installed on the NAS for MinimServer). Setting up is even simpler, just a couple of tickboxes to select (Create an OpenHome renderer & Gapless playback) on the appropriate configuration screen, using a web browser (the Denon should appear as one of the list of UPnP/DLNA renderers to select from, on the left hand side):
http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnp...figuration
15-03-2016, 19:20
(15-03-2016 13:16)Cebolla Wrote:  Ah, I had a feeling I might get pulled up on this as I don't normally leave things out, though in this case I felt justified as it would have overcomplicated my last post.

Ok, it depends what you mean by "BubbleUPnP Server doesn't support" gapless playback. BubbleUPnP Server certainly does provide its OpenHome renderer emulator with gapless playback support, so long as the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, it's providing the emulator for, supports gapless via the SetNextAVTransporURI UPnP action. This gapless support has been in place since version 0.7 of BubbleUPnP Server, about 2 years. Of course what the BubbleUPnP Server doesn't do is provide gapless when it isn't supported by the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer in the first place.

If the SetNextAVTransporURI action is supported by the UPnP/DLNA renderer, the Gapless playback tickbox in the BubbleUPnP Server's Media Renderers setup page is enabled. The reason why gapless support by the BubbleUPnP Server is designed to be selectable is that not all UPnP/DLNA renderers behave themselves properly when implementing the SetNextAVTransporURI action and so may be better off not using it at all.

The other thing I passed over, was my (hopefully safe) assumption that the Denon CEOL RCD-N9 supports the SetNextAVTransporURI action, based on plenty of reliable evidence that it does. In fact all the Denon & similar Marantz UPnP/DLNA streamers are supposed to have supported SetNextAVTransporURI gapless for some time, going back to the Denon DNP-F109 (which came before the CEOL RCD-N9).

Thanks for this very detailed description of the situation.
15-03-2016, 19:55
(15-03-2016 14:26)Cebolla Wrote:  Shouldn't be too difficult to install (it requires the Java runtime, but you should already have this installed on the NAS for MinimServer). Setting up is even simpler, just a couple of tickboxes to select (Create an OpenHome renderer & Gapless playback) on the appropriate configuration screen, using a web browser (the Denon should appear as one of the list of UPnP/DLNA renderers to select from, on the left hand side):
http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnp...figuration
Thank you. I have managed to install it on my NAS and I've tried it with a chromecast just to see what happens. Seems to work, doesn't even offer gapless option which if the chromecast is the problem then fine.
Surprised to see a volume control in Kinsky which was set to max and value 20. Not sure how that fits in on this test model.

My big question though is how safe am I to buy the Denon. Mrs. Bob will kill me if I spend 270 quid and it doesn't work. Need a shop to allow sale or return but they don't do they?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bob.
16-03-2016, 09:21
I have the N8 (paired with Dali Zensor 1 speakers), and it works very well with MinimServer and Bubble UPnP CP.

I have not used it for a while as I don't have it with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure gapless playback works via Bubble UPnP server.

One particular thing I liked about this system is that the renderer is visible even when it's on standby and playing something on it via Bubble UPnP CP will wake it up automatically, without having to turn it on with its own remote first. And the sound quality is superb in my opinion (although I don't have an Akurate for comparison!).

This thread has a bit more info (winxi was kind enough to answer my query before I bought it):
http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...p?tid=1034
16-03-2016, 09:36
(16-03-2016 09:21)classical11 Wrote:  I have the N8 (paired with Dali Zensor 1 speakers), and it works very well with MinimServer and Bubble UPnP CP.

I have not used it for a while as I don't have it with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure gapless playback works via Bubble UPnP server.

One particular thing I liked about this system is that the renderer is visible even when it's on standby and playing something on it via Bubble UPnP CP will wake it up automatically, without having to turn it on with its own remote first. And the sound quality is superb in my opinion (although I don't have an Akurate for comparison!).

This thread has a bit more info (winxi was kind enough to answer my query before I bought it):
http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...p?tid=1034

That is very helpful and encouraging.

Thank you so much.

Cheers,

Bob.
17-03-2016, 17:34
Ive put my trust in you guys and I've ordered an N9. No pressure.

Bob.
19-03-2016, 00:29
(15-03-2016 19:20)simoncn Wrote:  The other thing I passed over, was my (hopefully safe) assumption that the Denon CEOL RCD-N9 supports the SetNextAVTransporURI action, based on plenty of reliable evidence that it does. In fact all the Denon & similar Marantz UPnP/DLNA streamers are supposed to have supported SetNextAVTransporURI gapless for some time, going back to the Denon DNP-F109 (which came before the CEOL RCD-N9).

Thanks for this very detailed description of the situation.
[/quote]
I can confirm gapless works using MinimServer to Marantz M-CR510 with BubbleUPnPServer and controlled by Kazoo or Lumin...
19-03-2016, 15:11 (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 15:13 by mightyoakbob.)
(19-03-2016 00:29)audio_elf Wrote:  I can confirm gapless works using MinimServer to Marantz M-CR510 with BubbleUPnPServer and controlled by Kazoo or Lumin...

Guys thanks for all the help. The box has arrived and I can now tell give difinitive answers just in case someone else needs to know.

I am using a Synology DS214+ running Minimserver and BubbleUPnP server. I've not even installed the Denon App on my iPad but I do have Kinsky and Kazoo installed.

The Denon RCD-N9 is a mess until you update the firware on the box but after doing that I can confirm that you can use the Linn Apps to play hi-res 192/24 over Wi-Fi and gapless and it does seem stable. You can also move backwards and forwards within tracks (seeking?).

There is an issue though but how serious it is depends on the individual. There is a delay between tapping something on the iPad and the device responding and it is cumulative.

If you play a track it does take longer to kick off than a real Linn player by perhaps 2-3 seconds, no big problem. There is a problem with the volume control, the lag on this makes it virtually unuseable. You hold your finger on the up or down button and wait.... Then the volume very slowly changes and then it carries on going long after you've taken you finger off. 15 seconds after removing finger, volume still changing very slowly.

The same applies to seek but it doesn't seem to bother that quite as much. You can of course use the remote control which is instant.

So there you have it, yes it all works but it is laggy if there is such a word.
Very clever though.

Cheers,

Bob.