Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support required for radio streaming to Cambridge 851n
10-03-2016, 11:54 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 13:30 by eschreye.)
Support required for radio streaming to Cambridge 851n
Since some time I have been using - and enjoying thoroughly - minimserver on Synology DS214play connected to Cambridge 851n. More recently I did add minimstreamer for transcoding and this is also working very well. I then discovered the minimstreamer radio features and tried to exploit these, alas to no avail.

I have tried several settings for 3 radios (all render well when streaming is triggered by 851n), but did not manage to stream from minimstreamer to 851n. I’m at loss and would highly appreciate any help. Please bear with me as I lack both technical knowledge and native English.

I have attached copies of
- m3u files used for testing
- debug logs
- screenshots of the minimserver system and package tabs

Many thanks in advance for your support

Eric

.zip  radio tests cambridge audio 851n.zip (Size: 185.11 KB / Downloads: 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 14:18
RE: Support required for radio streaming to Cambridge 851n
If you disable debug logging and play a radio station using the 851n, you will see this message in the MinimServer log:

HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied

This means that the 851n is trying to play the radio stream as if it were a disk file by reading portions of the stream instead of reading the stream continuously from start to end. It isn't possible to read portions of a radio stream in this way.

If radio streaming is triggered by the 851n, the 851n knows it is dealing with a radio stream and presumably doesn't attempt to use byte-range requests.
10-03-2016, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 17:41 by eschreye.)
(10-03-2016 14:18)simoncn Wrote:  If you disable debug logging and play a radio station using the 851n, you will see this message in the MinimServer log:

HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied

This means that the 851n is trying to play the radio stream as if it were a disk file by reading portions of the stream instead of reading the stream continuously from start to end. It isn't possible to read portions of a radio stream in this way.

If radio streaming is triggered by the 851n, the 851n knows it is dealing with a radio stream and presumably doesn't attempt to use byte-range requests.

thanks for quick reply

I thus conclude that 851n is engineered to manage incoming streams solely as byte-range requests - that is unless radio stream is triggered by 851n himself
Hence, unless cambridge changes tack and upgrades its software, no cahnce to feed radio streams from minimstreamer into the 851n? Is this deduction correct?

Will also put the request to cambridge support

Has anybody else in the community made attempts to feed radio streams in 851n?
10-03-2016, 19:29 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 19:33 by simoncn.)
(10-03-2016 17:40)eschreye Wrote:  thanks for quick reply

I thus conclude that 851n is engineered to manage incoming streams solely as byte-range requests - that is unless radio stream is triggered by 851n himself
Hence, unless cambridge changes tack and upgrades its software, no cahnce to feed radio streams from minimstreamer into the 851n? Is this deduction correct?

Will also put the request to cambridge support

Has anybody else in the community made attempts to feed radio streams in 851n?

Your conclusion is correct and I believe there have been at least two other people who have had this problem with Cambridge renderers.
10-03-2016, 22:58 (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 23:04 by eschreye.)
Many thanks for the very clear and rapid answers!
Also would like to express my entire satisfaction on the excellent pieces of minimsoftware, user manuals, forum and support.

Will continue to donate