Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
19-07-2017, 11:42
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
(19-07-2017 07:49)simoncn Wrote:  The current version of the file is ohnet(linux-x64)-1.10.2315.zip (see this post).

Yes I saw that, but the name of the ohnet file in the most recent Linux download is ohnet(linux-x64)-1.6.1919.zip. So that's the file it looks for. I've tried changing the name on the 1.10 file to the same as the 1.6 file and replacing it but that doesn't work either. I think maybe it's my java install that's the problem. If someone who got it to work could be more specific on how they installed java and the other dependencies that would be great.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2017, 12:40
It is possible that MinimServer has started correctly at some point and has downloaded an update that includes the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.10.2315.zip file. This file is not installed in the same directory as the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.6.1919.zip file. It would have been downloaded to the libext directory under the MinimServer root directory. If it is present there, you need to replace it with the modified version.
19-07-2017, 17:01
(18-07-2017 23:32)lostinsound Wrote:  Yes I replaced the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.6.1919.zip file in the jail with the file of the same name from the link, then I start the server and it crashes. But step 10 says "This is necessary because the update-procedure has yet added another updated but incompatible zip-file with a new, higher version-number. " This doesn't seem to happen for me, because the ohnet file in the jail is still exactly the same as the one I copied to it in step 8.

You might be confused because MinimServer, during these upgrades, changes the directory where it stores the zip-files containing the libraries. I think first it's "lib", then "libext" or similar. If you use the "find"-command like given in the instructions, it should be clear for you and no problem. The old version of the lib stays in its place, like you wrote, which is expected.

Quote:So you installed the dependencies using 'make install clean' in portsnap and not using pkg? And you were able to install java? I couldn't get it to work.

Yes, the compilation of the dependencies in the jail worked fine for me. I recommend using the program "portmaster" for that, but it should work with "make install clean", too. Did you update the ports-tree before you tried?
24-07-2017, 18:16 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2017 21:18 by lostinsound.)
(19-07-2017 12:40)simoncn Wrote:  It is possible that MinimServer has started correctly at some point and has downloaded an update that includes the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.10.2315.zip file. This file is not installed in the same directory as the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.6.1919.zip file. It would have been downloaded to the libext directory under the MinimServer root directory. If it is present there, you need to replace it with the modified version.

(19-07-2017 17:01)airflow Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 23:32)lostinsound Wrote:  Yes I replaced the ohnet(linux-x64)-1.6.1919.zip file in the jail with the file of the same name from the link, then I start the server and it crashes. But step 10 says "This is necessary because the update-procedure has yet added another updated but incompatible zip-file with a new, higher version-number. " This doesn't seem to happen for me, because the ohnet file in the jail is still exactly the same as the one I copied to it in step 8.

You might be confused because MinimServer, during these upgrades, changes the directory where it stores the zip-files containing the libraries. I think first it's "lib", then "libext" or similar. If you use the "find"-command like given in the instructions, it should be clear for you and no problem. The old version of the lib stays in its place, like you wrote, which is expected.

Quote:So you installed the dependencies using 'make install clean' in portsnap and not using pkg? And you were able to install java? I couldn't get it to work.

Yes, the compilation of the dependencies in the jail worked fine for me. I recommend using the program "portmaster" for that, but it should work with "make install clean", too. Did you update the ports-tree before you tried?

Well for some reason my last reply to this has disappeared. In case you didn't see the last one, thank you all so much for helping me with this. You're right, the problem was that I didn't realize the new ohnet file was being put in a different directory. I thought I had done the find command for zip files and didn't see it, but maybe I was in the wrong directory when I did the search. I replaced the ohnet 1.10 file with the one from the link and it's all working perfectly.

As far as installing the dependencies, yes I had updated the ports-tree before installing java but I still couldn't get it to work. I wasn't aware of the program portmaster, I'll keep that in mind in the future. But it looks like the way I installed them using pkg (e.g. pkg install ffmpeg, etc) works so I don't think I'm going to mess with them any further. Which is good, because none of those pkg installs took more than a minute or two.

Anyway, thanks again for being patient with me and helping me get this figured out. I'm really enjoying being able to stream music without needing my PC to be on. Smile
24-07-2017, 19:31 (This post was last modified: 24-07-2017 19:31 by simoncn.)
The forum had a server problem and a few posts were lost. Thanks for reposting.
25-07-2017, 19:09 (This post was last modified: 25-07-2017 19:10 by airflow.)
(24-07-2017 18:16)lostinsound Wrote:  Anyway, thanks again for being patient with me and helping me get this figured out. I'm really enjoying being able to stream music without needing my PC to be on. Smile

Great news, I am happy it works now for you! :-) Just a question out of curiosity: Are you using FreeNAS or FreeBSD? And is it a pre-built out-of-the-box NAS you bought or self-made?
27-07-2017, 01:31
(25-07-2017 19:09)airflow Wrote:  
(24-07-2017 18:16)lostinsound Wrote:  Anyway, thanks again for being patient with me and helping me get this figured out. I'm really enjoying being able to stream music without needing my PC to be on. Smile

Great news, I am happy it works now for you! :-) Just a question out of curiosity: Are you using FreeNAS or FreeBSD? And is it a pre-built out-of-the-box NAS you bought or self-made?

Thanks! I upgraded to a new PC recently and decided to convert my old one into a NAS using FreeNAS. It's just an hp desktop computer I bought in 2009, and I just wiped the 1TB hard drive and installed FreeNAS onto a USB drive that I plugged into it. It's only a single drive right now so I don't have any RAID set up or anything.

I mainly picked FreeNAS because of the built in Subsonic plugin that lets me stream remotely, but I'm really happy I could get MinimServer working as well to stream locally.
24-09-2017, 19:34
Hi,

Any idea why on attemtp of starting service minimserver start I'm getting attached error.

Restarting jail and server didn't help either.

Minimserver is working fine when started manually though.

FreeNAS version is 9.10.2-U6

I followed below steps, but no luck

(23-01-2016 17:52)airflow Wrote:  Want to make MinimServer to start automatically when starting the jail (or starting FreeNAS, that is)? In this case also do the following steps:
  1. Edit the file minimserver/bin/startd and replace the line
    Code:
    mknod -m a=rw "${MINIMPIPE}" p || exit
    with
    Code:
    mkfifo -m a=rw "${MINIMPIPE}" || exit
  2. Create the file /etc/rc.d/minimserver with the following contents:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
    export PATH
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    export LANG
    LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
    export LC_CTYPE
    LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
    export LC_ALL

/usr/local/share/minimserver/bin/startd
  3. Make the file executable with "chmod +x minimserver"
  4. Edit the file /etc/rc.conf and add the line "minimserver_enable="YES""
  5. You can now start the server in the background with "service minimserver start" or by just restarting the jail or FreeNAS itself.
25-09-2017, 17:00
(24-09-2017 19:34)lukeru Wrote:  Any idea why on attemtp of starting service minimserver start I'm getting attached error.

Sorry, I'm a little bit puzzled with the error-message you get. It says "not foundinimserver: #!/bin/sh" - what should "foundinimserver" mean? It seems quite clear that there is something wrong with the file /etc/rc.d/minimserver which you created. But I don't know what. Perhaps try to do it via a proper SSH-shell, and not the GUI-provided shell of FreeNAS. (you can exec into your jail with the "jexec"-command, if you don't want to enable SSH directly in your jail.
26-09-2017, 18:52
Got it sorted with creating minimserver file in notepad++
Saved as Unix script file with EOL Conversion set to Unix (LF)
Inbulit Windows notepad is not good for it.
If you have a minute could you please advise how to create minimserver file in shell with required content.

Thanks