Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
editing posts not allowed?
20-01-2016, 12:09
editing posts not allowed?
I just wanted to edit my post in this forum to update and correct the information there about MinimServer on FreeBSD.

I'm logged in and it is my own post. Still, each time I try to submit my changes, I only get a "403 forbidden" errormessage. It doesn't matter whether I choose quick or normal edit.

Is this expected behaviour? Or am I missing something here?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2016, 14:29 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2016 14:30 by simoncn.)
RE: editing posts not allowed?
(20-01-2016 12:09)airflow Wrote:  I just wanted to edit my post in this forum to update and correct the information there about MinimServer on FreeBSD.

I'm logged in and it is my own post. Still, each time I try to submit my changes, I only get a "403 forbidden" errormessage. It doesn't matter whether I choose quick or normal edit.

Is this expected behaviour? Or am I missing something here?

This should work. I had the same problem doing this with quick edit a few days ago but it worked with full edit. I will try editing this post now to see what happens.

Quick edit: this worked.

Full edit: this worked.
20-01-2016, 15:18 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2016 15:20 by airflow.)
(20-01-2016 14:29)simoncn Wrote:  This should work. I had the same problem doing this with quick edit a few days ago but it worked with full edit. I will try editing this post now to see what happens.

Quick edit: this worked.

Full edit: this worked.

I tried editing posts with different methods and different browsers, but the result is the same (see screenshot). Perhaps the reason can be spot in the logs of the webserver? Perhaps the post is too old to be edited?

PS: I could edit *this* post, but not the other one! ;-)

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

20-01-2016, 18:57
I was also unable to edit an old post (about 13 months old). The forum is set to allow old posts to be edited with no time limit. Perhaps there is a bug in the forum software.
23-01-2016, 13:06
Lightbulb RE: editing posts not allowed?
(20-01-2016 18:57)simoncn Wrote:  I was also unable to edit an old post (about 13 months old). The forum is set to allow old posts to be edited with no time limit. Perhaps there is a bug in the forum software.

This morning, I wanted to write the tutorial for this forum. But again, I had problems with "403 forbidden" messages from the forum-software. I couldn't create a new topic with my instructions. I tried it in any of the subforums (just testing with the preview-function, the problem already arises when just previewing).

I tested more and more, and found that very short test-messages with gibberish works. But my tutorial doesn't. I did trial-and-error to find out what the problem is, changing the text of my tutorial more and more.

After a while, I now found what the problem is! :-) There is a certain word, which I cannot use right now, which prevents the message from being stored an the server.

The forbidden word is XXXwgetXXX. Remove the XXX on both sides of the words, and try it out yourself. Just reply with this word to my post, for example. You will get the error-message.

I did a quick search on the internet to perhaps find an explanation. I could imagine a form of security feature which prevents using this word? Seems to be a new "feature", as I originally could write the tutorial (now I can't edit it and can't write any new post containing the forbidden word). Perhaps it's a feature which can be turned off somehow? I'd like to use the word in my tutorial! ;-)
23-01-2016, 16:40
(23-01-2016 13:06)airflow Wrote:  This morning, I wanted to write the tutorial for this forum. But again, I had problems with "403 forbidden" messages from the forum-software. I couldn't create a new topic with my instructions. I tried it in any of the subforums (just testing with the preview-function, the problem already arises when just previewing).

I tested more and more, and found that very short test-messages with gibberish works. But my tutorial doesn't. I did trial-and-error to find out what the problem is, changing the text of my tutorial more and more.

After a while, I now found what the problem is! :-) There is a certain word, which I cannot use right now, which prevents the message from being stored an the server.

The forbidden word is XXXwgetXXX. Remove the XXX on both sides of the words, and try it out yourself. Just reply with this word to my post, for example. You will get the error-message.

I did a quick search on the internet to perhaps find an explanation. I could imagine a form of security feature which prevents using this word? Seems to be a new "feature", as I originally could write the tutorial (now I can't edit it and can't write any new post containing the forbidden word). Perhaps it's a feature which can be turned off somehow? I'd like to use the word in my tutorial! ;-)

This is a known issue. It affects XXXcurlXXX as well. These checks are made by the Apache mod_security module on the forum server as a safeguard against spoofing of malicious commands.

You can use w g e t and c u r l instead, or you can put the first character into a different font such as Times New Roman (wget and curl). If you put the first letter into the Verdana font (the default for forum posts), the font change is invisible and the words display as wget and curl.