Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indexes and Groups query - [Solved]
30-11-2015, 15:47
RE: Indexes and Groups query - [Solved]
Thanks very much! This is very interesting. Does the Qobuz/Tidal/etc. support work when using the LMS-to-UPnP bridge plugin? If so, how do you browse and select music to play when using this combination? Can you do this with a regular UPnP control point that doesn't know anything about Qobuz/Tidal?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2015, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 16:23 by simoncn.)
(30-11-2015 11:53)simoncn Wrote:  Another relevant point is that MinimServer's implementation of UPnP Search examines the tags of the group as a whole and not the tags of individual items within the group. This would cause a rating search to return the complete group, which isn't what the OP wants.

This will be improved in the next update but the new implementation won't solve the OP's problem. At present, the search looks for a match based on the tags of the group. In the next update, if this doesn't produce a match, the search will inspect each item in the group to see if there is a match on the tags of the item. This will enable matching on track titles within groups, which isn't possible currently.

This won't solve the OP's problem because the group's rating tag value is the combination of all rating tag values within the group. If there are different rating values within the group, the group will have a multivalued rating tag with a combination of all these rating values. For example, if one track in the group has a rating of 90 and the other tracks have a rating of 50, the group will have ratings of both 90 and 50 and the whole group will match when searching for a rating of 90.
30-11-2015, 16:27
(30-11-2015 15:47)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks very much! This is very interesting. Does the Qobuz/Tidal/etc. support work when using the LMS-to-UPnP bridge plugin? If so, how do you browse and select music to play when using this combination? Can you do this with a regular UPnP control point that doesn't know anything about Qobuz/Tidal?
I don't use them myself, having an aversion to being dependent on the Internet and being too mean to pay regular subscriptions. However, other uses report both stream Plugins also work with the LMS-to-UPnP plugin. There's also another plugin called ickStream that I tested for a while for such things during a free test period. This attempts to merge access to many different sources.

When using the LMS-to-UPnP bridge the UPnP renderer just appears as an LMS player (as any other Logitech player). No other CP is required.

When testing I used the LMS web GUI with the appropriate stream plugin, to select the music I wanted to play. I didn't need any other UPnP Control Point.
30-11-2015, 16:40
(30-11-2015 16:22)simoncn Wrote:  ... but the new implementation won't solve the OP's problem.
Whenever I see OP I read it as OAP. I will one of the last UK males to offically be an OAP at 65, but not quite yet Smile

Just disabling the Group functionality is working well enough for me when that's what I want (as it happens I'm playing random tracks from that server right now).

More flexible searches are always welcome, on Groups, or individual tracks, but I can't say I'd use them often. I'm usually either interested in something very specific (a Work/Group or track), or in random play of Works or Tracks at an appropriate indextag level (Rating, Composer, Artist or whatever).

Other users no doubt have very different needs.
30-11-2015, 17:06
(30-11-2015 16:27)Pastim Wrote:  I don't use them myself, having an aversion to being dependent on the Internet and being too mean to pay regular subscriptions. However, other uses report both stream Plugins also work with the LMS-to-UPnP plugin. There's also another plugin called ickStream that I tested for a while for such things during a free test period. This attempts to merge access to many different sources.

When using the LMS-to-UPnP bridge the UPnP renderer just appears as an LMS player (as any other Logitech player). No other CP is required.

When testing I used the LMS web GUI with the appropriate stream plugin, to select the music I wanted to play. I didn't need any other UPnP Control Point.

Thanks again! From this, it sounds like the LMS-to-UPnP bridge allows a UPnP renderer to be controlled with the LMS player. Do you happen to know whether the reverse is possible, i.e., for a UPnP control point to access the LMS server as if it were a UPnP server?
30-11-2015, 17:56
(30-11-2015 17:06)simoncn Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 16:27)Pastim Wrote:  I don't use them myself, having an aversion to being dependent on the Internet and being too mean to pay regular subscriptions. However, other uses report both stream Plugins also work with the LMS-to-UPnP plugin. There's also another plugin called ickStream that I tested for a while for such things during a free test period. This attempts to merge access to many different sources.

Thanks again! From this, it sounds like the LMS-to-UPnP bridge allows a UPnP renderer to be controlled with the LMS player. Do you happen to know whether the reverse is possible, i.e., for a UPnP control point to access the LMS server as if it were a UPnP server?
There is a rather basic LMS UPnP media server, as a plugin, which I gave up on some time ago. I used to use it for the small number of movies and photos that I have to show on my TV. I changed to minidlna for that purpose, so as to concentrate LMS solely on music. The plugin also supposedly made Logitech players appear as UPnP renderers, but I never tried that feature.
30-11-2015, 22:50 (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 22:50 by Pastim.)
There's one other benefit of using LMS and the LMS-to-UPnP plugin, which is that it can all on the server, with a browser as the UI. So, if my laptop needs to be doing something else it can do, and the playlist carries on since the playlist is on the server.

If the CP is on the laptop (or whatever) the playlist won't march on without the CP's involvement.

This is only handy when doing system updates/maintenance etc, but there are times when it has been useful, just letting the music server play over wired network to the player without needing anything else.

I have a logitech player, but it plays to my main pre-amp that is also a UPnP renderer. Using UPnP cuts out one extra device in the chain, meaning I have fewer stability problems (in principle!).