Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with UTF-8 in playlists (.m3u8 files)
11-03-2018, 04:08
RE: Problem with UTF-8 in playlists (.m3u8 files)
(10-03-2018 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  Please do the following from a terminal window on the Armbian machine:

Code:
cd Movits!/
ls -l Ă„ppelknyckarjazz/* >~/lstest.txt

then attach the lstest.txt fle as a file attachment here. Do not copy the contents of this file into a post.

Done.

Quote:Also, please confirm that the Movits!/ folder is a subfolder of the folder containing the party.m3u8 file.

Yes.

Attached File(s)
.txt  lstest.txt (Size: 1.26 KB / Downloads: 4)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2018, 17:09 (This post was last modified: 11-03-2018 17:11 by simoncn.)
Thanks very much! The filenames are in UTF-8 NFD format and this is why you are getting the error message.

Please post your party.m3u8 file as a file attachment so that I can check whether it is using NFC or NFD.
11-03-2018, 22:10
FWIF, the file was created on a Mac and rsync'ed to the Armbian machine (along with the rest of the directory).

I had to change the file extension to "txt" because your forum software would not allow me to upload a file of type "m3u8".

Attached File(s)
.txt  party.txt (Size: 1.17 KB / Downloads: 2)
11-03-2018, 22:33
Thanks for this. It shows that the playlist entries are also NFD. I understand why this is failing on the Armbian machine but I don't yet understand why it is working on the Mac. Can you repeat what I requested in this post on the Mac, please?
12-03-2018, 01:48
Here's what the files look like on the Mac. Since the whole directory was rsync'ed over to the Armbian machine, they should be identical, no?

Attached File(s)
.txt  lstest.txt (Size: 1.19 KB / Downloads: 1)
.txt  party.txt (Size: 1.17 KB / Downloads: 1)
12-03-2018, 07:21 (This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 07:50 by simoncn.)
On the Mac, the folder name is NFC but the filenames are NFD. On the Armbian machine, both the folder name and the filenames are NFD.

The party.m3u8 files are identical with the folder name and the filenames both encoded as NFD.

I will set up a test for this and post back when I have more information. This will take a few days.
13-03-2018, 12:10
Java on the Mac is converting NFD filenames and folder names to NFC, so MinimServer is seeing them as if they were NFC.

You could solve the problem by using the approach described in this post. This will produce NFC filenames on the Armbian machine and these will work with MinimServer.
13-03-2018, 14:59
Thanks!

I'm traveling now; will check this when I get back home. I assume all I need to do is

Code:
touch party.m3u8

and rsync again (with the --iconv=UTF-8-MAC,UTF-8 flag added) and I should be good to go.

Some word in the MinimServer documentation would be good. Unicode Normalization (and the behaviour of tools like rsync, in this regard) is probably a deep dark secret to most users.
13-03-2018, 23:47
There is no need to touch party.m3u8. I hope the resync will update all the directory names and filenames. Please let me know how it goes.

I will think about whether this should be mentioned in the documentation. My reservations are that most users won't understand a word of it and the very few users who encounter this problem will almost certainly need direct personal assistance via the forum.
14-03-2018, 11:42
I have made a change to MinimServer that should enable this to work if the folder name and/or filename is encoded as NFD. This change will be in the next MinimServer update. This means there isn't any need to mention NFC and NFD in the documentation, as all combinations will work without the user needing to take any action.