Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fiddling with Compilations
13-09-2015, 21:23
Fiddling with Compilations
Hi,

I think the problem I have was surely solved by someone here, so I kindly ask for advise.

Short description of the setup:
My iMac does run minim server. The basis is an iTunes Library. Folders and ID Tags are organized by iTunes. In the Living room there is the hardware which connects to the stereo. The Teufel - Raumfeld - connector ( https://www.raumfeld.com/uk/online-shop/...layer.html )

The connector is managed by an iOS application.

The Problem:
Albums with different Artists. You could call it compilations. iTunes does solve this problem with a checkbox "The Album is a compilation of songs from different artists". If this one is check it will sort all songs of the Album accordingly.
The iOS Application of the Raumfeld Connector unfortunately does show me every song as a single album. It does not interpret it as a compilation.

I could rearrange all ID-Tags. If I put the Album Name to the tag "Album Artist" then the iOS app does sort everything correctly but the I hope that minim server does have a solution for this issue...

Could you please tell me if I can solve my problem by adding something to the preferences of minim server?

KR, Martin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2015, 21:49
RE: Fiddling with Compilations
If the songs of the album are in different folders, they will not be merged unless they have a matching AlbumArtist or Artist tag and the mergeFolderAlbums property is set to 'true'.

iTunes organizes songs into folders by artist name (unfortunately) and this is causing the problem you are seeing because the songs of the compilation album are split among different folders.

MinimServer currently doesn't do special processing based on the Compilation tag. The recommended solution is to set the same AlbumArtist tag value on all tracks of the compilation album and set the mergeFolderAlbums property to 'true'.

Many people set the AlbumArtist tag to "Various Artists". Your approach of setting the AlbumArtist tag to be the same as the Album tag will also work.

You can apply your solution automatically by adding AlbumArtist.default={Album} to the tagValue property. This tells MinimServer to use the Album tag value as the AlbumArtist tag value for all album tracks that don't have the AlbumArtist tag set.
14-09-2015, 07:28
Dear Simoncn,

thanks for answering. But there are two issues with your solution.

1) just details....The Compilations this is happening with are not necessarily stored each file in a single folder. Once the "compilation Tag" is applied all files do live in one folder - no matter who the artist is...

2) The more important - I tried to apply your solution:
But once I copied 'AlbumArtist.default={Album}' to the field, I will get an error "incorrect tag 'AlbumArtist' for option 'default' in property 'tagValue'

Do you have an idea what I did wrong? From a theoretical point of view the solution sounds absolutely sufficient to me and would spare me some serious hours of tagging...

KR
15-09-2015, 07:12 (This post was last modified: 15-09-2015 07:14 by Martin.)
Just to show what the problem is - in case my english doesn't make any sense to you ;-)

Screenshoot1: https://sectorbyte.de/owncloud/index.php...msVSFYl2mo

Scrrenshoot2: https://sectorbyte.de/owncloud/index.php...rtB5y48CFp

KR, Martin

(14-09-2015 07:28)Martin Wrote:  Dear Simoncn,

1) just details....The Compilations this is happening with are not necessarily stored each file in a single folder. Once the "compilation Tag" is applied all files do live in one folder - no matter who the artist is...

2) The more important - I tried to apply your solution:
But once I copied 'AlbumArtist.default={Album}' to the field, I will get an error "incorrect tag 'AlbumArtist' for option 'default' in property 'tagValue'

Do you have an idea what I did wrong? From a theoretical point of view the solution sounds absolutely sufficient to me and would spare me some serious hours of tagging...

KR
17-09-2015, 21:37
(14-09-2015 07:28)Martin Wrote:  Dear Simoncn,

I was not suggesting that you remove the Compilation tag. If you do choose to remove the Compilation tag and therefore don't have all the files in the same folder, you can set the mergeFolderAlbums property to 'true' to ensure albums are merged across different folders. This can cause problems if you have multiple albums with the same name, so I think the best approach would be to leave the Compilation tag set and not set the mergeFolderAlbums property.

Quote:2) The more important - I tried to apply your solution:

KR

To prevent this error, you need to add AlbumArtist to either the iitemTags or indexTags property.