Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC HLS streams outside the UK
09-11-2015, 23:11
RE: BBC HLS streams outside the UK
(09-11-2015 23:02)Cebolla Wrote:  Ok that's certainly unexpected, as I'd assumed that the external decoder was being used by MinimStreamer just to transcode the AAC stream to L16. That is, in addition to the decoding done by MinimStreamer to reconstruct that AAC stream from the BBC HLS AAC source stream in the first place.

From what you're saying, it sort of implies that the external decode is actually dealing with the original BBC HLS AAC source stream directly and at the same time producing the L16 output. Could be wrong, though, on all counts!

MinimStreamer decodes the BBC HLS stream internally and produces an AAC ADTS stream. If *:L16 transcoding is specified, the AAC ADTS stream is passed to ffmpeg for transcoding and the transcoded L16 output is sent to the renderer. If no transcoding is specified, the AAC ADTS stream is sent to the renderer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2015, 23:48
(09-11-2015 23:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-11-2015 23:02)Cebolla Wrote:  Ok that's certainly unexpected, as I'd assumed that the external decoder was being used by MinimStreamer just to transcode the AAC stream to L16. That is, in addition to the decoding done by MinimStreamer to reconstruct that AAC stream from the BBC HLS AAC source stream in the first place.

From what you're saying, it sort of implies that the external decode is actually dealing with the original BBC HLS AAC source stream directly and at the same time producing the L16 output. Could be wrong, though, on all counts!

MinimStreamer decodes the BBC HLS stream internally and produces an AAC ADTS stream. If *:L16 transcoding is specified, the AAC ADTS stream is passed to ffmpeg for transcoding and the transcoded L16 output is sent to the renderer. If no transcoding is specified, the AAC ADTS stream is sent to the renderer.

The Qnap. TS 410 is regularly hitting 99 % when the dropouts occur with the new update installed dropouts very frequent now
10-11-2015, 09:00 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 09:01 by simoncn.)
(09-11-2015 23:48)pwsheridan Wrote:  The Qnap. TS 410 is regularly hitting 99 % when the dropouts occur with the new update installed dropouts very frequent now

I presume this is with *:L16 transcoding enabled. If you remove *:L16, what happens? After making this change, restart everything to make sure it has taken effect.
10-11-2015, 11:27 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 11:28 by Cebolla.)

Ok this is what I originally thought, so it's strange that Paul says he is experiencing a greater frequency of dropouts via the NAS without using *:L16, given that it'll be doing less work. This of course assumes he's correctly set MinimStreamer for no transcoding and that the dropouts are caused by the NAS being overly stressed.
10-11-2015, 13:37 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 13:40 by pwsheridan.)

(10-11-2015 11:27)Cebolla Wrote:  

Ok this is what I originally thought, so it's strange that Paul says he is experiencing a greater frequency of dropouts via the NAS without using *:L16, given that it'll be doing less work. This of course assumes he's correctly set MinimStreamer for no transcoding and that the dropouts are caused by the NAS being overly stressed.

Well thanks to you both streaming has become flawless since morning. When I was testing yesterday and early this morning I had the incorrect syntax in the stream #EXTINF:-1,[*R3:aac] BBC Radio 3 instead of #EXTINF:-1,[*R3;aac] BBC Radio 3 with the *:L16 encoder removed from stream.transcode. Now after putting it right and restarting the server everything is going nicely. I have a screenshot of the Nas resource monitor and it is showing steady using two of my streamers Pioneer N50 , Oppo 103 at the same time. Regards