Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC streams - 60kbps instead of 320?
28-07-2015, 19:13
BBC streams - 60kbps instead of 320?
I have had a fairly successful day setting up a raspberry pi and have installed minimserver / minimstreamer

All is working fine except for one issue

I have set up the BBC AAC HLS streams using the URLs referred to from the set up page so for example Radio 3 is entered as

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3] BBC Radio 3
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/man...three.m3u8

However, the app for the renderer (Moon MiND) is reporting the stream as 60 kbps and not 320. I have also set up Radio Paradise 320 stream and it is the same

Any ideas why?

Thanks
TreV
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2015, 19:57
RE: BBC streams - 60kbps instead of 320?
It sounds like a renderer display bug. Have you asked the Moon MiND developers about this? Can you try it with a different renderer?
28-07-2015, 20:22
Unfortunately Simaudio is excellent kit but support is a bit lacking - will drop them an email.

However, The streams just don't sound as if they are at 320 which is what made me look in the first place. Tracks ripped as aac 320 in iTunes are showing up as such

I tried to use Kinsky and Bubble but neither would get the streams to play on the MiND - Bubble reported something like "illegal Mime". Any others you would suggest?

TreV
28-07-2015, 20:41 (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 20:43 by simoncn.)
(28-07-2015 20:22)TreVoR 3000 Wrote:  Unfortunately Simaudio is excellent kit but support is a bit lacking - will drop them an email.

However, The streams just don't sound as if they are at 320 which is what made me look in the first place. Tracks ripped as aac 320 in iTunes are showing up as such

I tried to use Kinsky and Bubble but neither would get the streams to play on the MiND - Bubble reported something like "illegal Mime". Any others you would suggest?

TreV

I was suggesting a different renderer, not a different control point. Do you have any other UPnP renderers? (The BubbleUPnP renderer unfortunately can't play AAC ADTS streams.)

You should be able to solve the "illegal MIME" problem by disabling MIME type checking in the BubbleUPnP configuration settings.
28-07-2015, 20:47 (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 21:20 by TreVoR 3000.)
Ah, apologies

unfortunately, just the MiND but will see what I can dig up
04-08-2015, 20:00 (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 20:02 by Cebolla.)
My Pioneer N-50 renderer has a similar issue, causing a miscalculation and shown on the display. If I use a software renderer, like Foobar2000 with the foo_UPnP plugin, the correct 322-323 kbps value is shown.
24-11-2015, 18:35
Just going back to my query in July as I discovered something by fluke at the weekend. I did email the manufacturer (simaudio) a few weeks ago re potential kbps miscalculation in their app but have not had a response.

I needed to make a change to my BBC Radio file (add a station) and edited the list by opening it on the Pi. However, I have since updated the Pi from Wheezy to Jessie which has LibreOffice as standard and the file automatically opened in this, rather than whatever text editor Wheezy previously used. I saved the file which asked for ODF or Text format and chose Text.

However, when I opened the playlist on my MiND App, instead of seeing the list of stations as BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 etc as had been the case previously, it showed the list as the final part of the m3u http web path so, for example, the entry for R1 was shown as "bbc_radio_one.m3u8".

If stations were selected and played, the MiND duly played played them and the App showed the streaming station as being HLS 329 (or thereabouts) kbps.

When I went back and opened the BBC Radio file on the Pi but this time using notepad on a networked Windows PC and re-saved it back in the original ANSI format, the stations were then listed as previously ie BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 etc and the App went back to showing the stream as being AAC 60kbps.

Any idea what is happening here????

Oddly, but I am guessing it was just psychoachoustics at play, the "HLS" stream seemed better (opened up/clearer and wider soundstage).
24-11-2015, 19:12
It sounds like the new editor has changed the formatting of your BBC Radio file and as a result these streams are not being routed via MinimStreamer but are being streamed directly from the BBC server to the MiND for playing.
25-11-2015, 18:06
(24-11-2015 19:12)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the new editor has changed the formatting of your BBC Radio file and as a result these streams are not being routed via MinimStreamer but are being streamed directly from the BBC server to the MiND for playing.

I suspected that might be what was happening but what is happening with the Minimstreamer output that the direct stream shows as HLS 329 and the MinimStreamer stream shows as AAC 60?
25-11-2015, 18:16
(25-11-2015 18:06)TreVoR 3000 Wrote:  I suspected that might be what was happening but what is happening with the Minimstreamer output that the direct stream shows as HLS 329 and the MinimStreamer stream shows as AAC 60?

MinimStreamer transcodes the HLS AAC stream to an ADTS AAC stream. It sounds like the player doesn't show the correct bit rate when it plays an ADTS AAC stream but does show the correct bit rate when it plays an HLS AAC stream.

I suppose the situation might be even worse than this. If the HLS AAC stream is sounding noticeably better on the player, perhaps the player is doing some iinternal processing on the 320 kbps ADTS AAC stream that has the effect of dowsampling it to 60 kbps.