Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding questions
09-07-2015, 15:29 (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 15:31 by Scooot.)
Transcoding questions
Hi,
I am new to minimserver(less than a week) and my first post here.
I installed and set up minimserver on my qnap and I am sending transcoded flac > wav files to my naim streamer.I have read in the user manual other options for transcoding and have 2 questions.

Should I hear benefits if I set transcoding to flac:wav24 or will it have a detrimental effect ?.
There is mention in the manual about setting the transcode to alter the sample rate.Ie,44,88,96 etc.
Does this setting improve sq and if so what is the recommended value?.

I have very little knowledge upnp servers,I'm just learning as I go and hope to get the best out of minimserver.
All my music library is ripped in flac with simple tagging that suits my needs.
I have moved to minimserver from twonky.

Thanks,regards scott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2015, 15:37
RE: Transcoding questions
Hi Scott, the benefits of transcoding and sample rates (like everything else audio related) is purely subjective. Some it depends on what you prefer, what you are able to hear, and how your DAC handles the input. Its pretty easy to change those settings in Minimserver so give it try and let us know what you think.
09-07-2015, 17:25
As tboooe has said, the best approach is to compare the sound yourself to see whether you think transcoding to WAV or WAV24 sounds better than FLAC. Many people have noticed an improvement from this.

Changing the sample rate is very unlikely to improve sound quality and is more likely to make it worse. This option is intended for downsampling when a file has a resolution that is higher than the renderer can handle.
09-07-2015, 19:32
tboooe,simoncn,
Thanks for the replys and info.

Regards scott