Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pausing streamed radio
04-07-2015, 18:09
Pausing streamed radio
I have just set up MinimStreamer for the first time and now have playlists to handle all the BBC radio stations, plus Classic FM.

Just out of interest, I tried pressing the Pause button on BubbleUPnP while listening to the Classic FM stream. After waiting a few minutes, I was then able to restart at the point where it had been paused. However, I assume that there must be some restrictions on this facility, such as a maximum pause period.

I failed to find any reference to using Pause in the MinimStreamer documentation. Have I missed something?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2015, 22:07
RE: Pausing streamed radio
(04-07-2015 18:09)haggis999 Wrote:  I have just set up MinimStreamer for the first time and now have playlists to handle all the BBC radio stations, plus Classic FM.

Just out of interest, I tried pressing the Pause button on BubbleUPnP while listening to the Classic FM stream. After waiting a few minutes, I was then able to restart at the point where it had been paused. However, I assume that there must be some restrictions on this facility, such as a maximum pause period.

I failed to find any reference to using Pause in the MinimStreamer documentation. Have I missed something?

David

I am interested to hear this.

There is no support for pausing radio streams in MinimStreamer, so whether or not this works depends on the radio station. You could try looking in the documentation for the radio station, but you probably won't find any. Smile
04-07-2015, 22:29
I've just tried pausing both BBC Radio 3 and 4 and it worked in both cases. However, I haven't listened long enough in any of these tests to establish whether it eventually triggers any problems, such as the stream suddenly reverting to the unpaused real time version.

If pausing is not being handled by MinimStreamer then perhaps, in my case, J River Media Center is playing a part. I run JRMC on my main PC and specify this as my UPnP/DLNA renderer in BubbleUPnP (this enables me to feed the audio from my PC to the async USB input of my Oppo BDP-105, which is the only way I can get gapless playback).
05-07-2015, 12:07 (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 13:10 by haggis999.)
When I closed down my PC last night, and thus lost the services of J River Media Center, I tried streaming radio to the local renderer for BubbleUPnP on my Samsung phone. This obviously requires the audio signal to be routed via Wi-Fi rather than my normal setup where it is sent to my PC via a wired Ethernet network. None of the BBC Radio HLS aac streams worked (perhaps due to Wi-Fi bandwidth limitations) but my Classic FMs 320kbps MP3 stream was OK on the phone.

As I expected, pausing this radio stream did not work. I couldn't find anything in the JRMC documentation about pausing streamed radio but it does claim to offer pause, rewind, fast forward, and record for HD television via Netflix so it seems likely that it would also apply to radio.

David
05-07-2015, 22:20 (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015 22:54 by simoncn.)
(05-07-2015 12:07)haggis999 Wrote:  When I closed down my PC last night, and thus lost the services of J River Media Center, I tried streaming radio to the local renderer for BubbleUPnP on my Samsung phone. This obviously requires the audio signal to be routed via Wi-Fi rather than my normal setup where it is sent to my PC via a wired Ethernet network. None of the BBC Radio HLS aac streams worked (perhaps due to Wi-Fi bandwidth limitations) but my Classic FMs 320kbps MP3 stream was OK on the phone.

The BubbleUPnP local renderer cannot play AAC ADTS streams. It can play MP3 streams. You can work around this problem by transcoding these AAC ADTS streams to WAV. The simplest way to do this is to add aac:wav or *:wav to the stream.transcode property.

Quote:As I expected, pausing this radio stream did not work. I couldn't find anything in the JRMC documentation about pausing streamed radio but it does claim to offer pause, rewind, fast forward, and record for HD television via Netflix so it seems likely that it would also apply to radio.

David

I agree that it seems likely that support for pausing and resuming a radio stream is a feature of JRiver.
05-07-2015, 22:55
Adding *:wav to the stream.transcode property has indeed enabled all the BBC streams to work on my phone. Thanks for that.

Incidentally, while JRMC claims to offer pause, rewind, fast forward, and record for Netflix, only pause (and resume) appears to work for radio streaming.