Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Control point for USB port ?
02-07-2015, 15:27
Control point for USB port ?
Dear all

my question looks simple, but I stupidly can't find an answer.

I have installed Minimserver on a friend's Mac Mini, whose music is on an external drive conencted to the Mac; this is fine.

But the music is to be sent on one USB port of the mac mini which is connected to a DAC (DCS Elgar and also a DCS Purcell upsampler) through an external device made by a Hong-Kong geek to allow a USB input to the DCS Elgar (it does not have any).

So far, I have succeeded installing Audirvana but the interface is very low level (same as iTunes, i.e. no possibility to use folder view, remote ipad only through itunes, etc).

But when I use Miniserver, of course all control points are searching a device on the network, which they don't find.

So : is there a possibility to use a control point on an ipad / iphone which connects to the minimserver, but uses the USB port as a renderer ?

Sorry if my question is trite, but I have not found any answer so far.

Best !
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2015, 17:05 (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 17:06 by simoncn.)
RE: Control point for USB port ?
(02-07-2015 15:27)lyapounov Wrote:  Dear all

I have installed Minimserver on a friend's Mac Mini, whose music is on an external drive conencted to the Mac; this is fine.

But the music is to be sent on one USB port of the mac mini which is connected to a DAC (DCS Elgar and also a DCS Purcell upsampler) through an external device made by a Hong-Kong geek to allow a USB input to the DCS Elgar (it does not have any).

So far, I have succeeded installing Audirvana but the interface is very low level (same as iTunes, i.e. no possibility to use folder view, remote ipad only through itunes, etc).

But when I use Miniserver, of course all control points are searching a device on the network, which they don't find.

So : is there a possibility to use a control point on an ipad / iphone which connects to the minimserver, but uses the USB port as a renderer ?

Best !

You need a UPnP renderer running on the Mac Mini to make this work. I believe PlugPlayer can do this. There might be other options.
02-07-2015, 17:55 (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 17:59 by Cebolla.)
Isn't the OP effectively asking for a UPnP renderer that can be installed on a Mac Mini, so playback and output via USB audio to the mentioned DCS Elgar DAC?

The only reliable UPnP renderer for the Mac I know of comes with the JRiver Media Center. It also comes with a built-in UPnP media server and UPnP control point for external UPnP renderers, but its core functions are that of a standard music player with its own media library for the computer itself (like the mentioned Audirvana) - the UPnP components are just ancillary functions. It is an all or nothing approach, as there is no way of unbolting its UPnP components from its main function of a music player and library.
02-07-2015, 19:28
(02-07-2015 17:05)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-07-2015 15:27)lyapounov Wrote:  Dear all

Best !

You need a UPnP renderer running on the Mac Mini to make this work. I believe PlugPlayer can do this. There might be other options.
XBMC might be possible I think, or JPlay, both suitable for Mac
03-07-2015, 06:37
Thanks everyone. I will try this and tell you the result.