Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MiminServer and foobar
04-06-2015, 04:44 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 04:45 by Oroperplex.)
MiminServer and foobar
I will use foobar2000 on an pc as controller playing music from minimserver also installed on pc; I installed both software also that upnp component for foobar. But what are the nexts steps that foobar only works as control point and uses minimserver as server ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 09:44 by simoncn.)
RE: MiminServer and foobar
(04-06-2015 04:44)Oroperplex Wrote:  I will use foobar2000 on an pc as controller playing music from minimserver also installed on pc; I installed both software also that upnp component for foobar. But what are the nexts steps that foobar only works as control point and uses minimserver as server ?

You can control this from the View pulldown by using the UPnP Browser and UPnP Controller selections. I haven't found a way to disable the default non-UPnP library selection and playback.
05-06-2015, 09:37 (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 09:39 by Oroperplex.)
(04-06-2015 09:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 04:44)Oroperplex Wrote:  I will use foobar2000 on an pc as controller playing music from minimserver also installed on pc; I installed both software also that upnp component for foobar. But what are the nexts steps that foobar only works as control point and uses minimserver as server ?

You can control this from the View pulldown by using the UPnP Browser and UPnP Controller selections. I haven't found a way to disable the default non-UPnP library selection and playback.

thanks for the info, now it`s possible to find Server and albums via UPNP Browser and Controller; But it`s not convenient like my bubble app on my android. So i want to redraft my initial question.
What is the best Contoller Software working with Minim Server on the PC and ASIO Output. Best means, the controller shows the same detailed sortings and filtering as configured in MinimServer and is as user friendly as my bubble ap or near by
05-06-2015, 10:44
(05-06-2015 09:37)Oroperplex Wrote:  What is the best Contoller Software working with Minim Server on the PC and ASIO Output. Best means, the controller shows the same detailed sortings and filtering as configured in MinimServer and is as user friendly as my bubble app or near by

The first point is that the Bubble apps are the best I have used, and in my view there isn't a Control Point app to match them on Windows. Again in my view, Linn Kazoo is the best app on Windows, though some prefer the earlier Kinsky. But both of these are designed to work with OpenHome renderers, and I assume that the renderer(s)/player(s) you are using are UPnP only. You can use BubbleUPnP Server to 'bridge the gap'; among other capabilities, it in effect adds OpenHome compatibility and features to UPnP renderers.

Note that BubbleUPnP Server, despite its name, is not a server as such; you would continue to use MinimServer, and the Control Point would display the MinimServer Browse List, which is what you want. The disadvantage is that you are adding another layer of software into the system, but there are plenty of reports on this forum and elsewhere that BubbleUPnP Server works well. I should say that I don't use it myself, but that is because I use Linn players which are OpenHome devices in themselves.

David
22-01-2018, 09:46
So I spent several hours today trying to get sorting working in Foobar2000 as a control point, and finally tried BubbleUPnP on Android and everything was working as expected all along... Foobar was the problem. Is Foobar not really compatible, or is there a way to configure it to all the basic MinimServer fuctionality working? I don't think it should be listed as fully compatible if it doesn't support sorting, tagOptions, etc.

If it's not really compatible, what should we be using as a Windows control point?
22-01-2018, 11:59
Can you be a bit more specific about exactly what didn't work with foobar2000?
23-01-2018, 12:40
(22-01-2018 09:46)dukdukgoos Wrote:  So I spent several hours today trying to get sorting working in Foobar2000 as a control point, and finally tried BubbleUPnP on Android and everything was working as expected all along... Foobar was the problem. Is Foobar not really compatible, or is there a way to configure it to all the basic MinimServer fuctionality working? I don't think it should be listed as fully compatible if it doesn't support sorting, tagOptions, etc.

If it's not really compatible, what should we be using as a Windows control point?

What device are you trying to control? Assuming it's UPnP, you could try Linn's Kinsky (which is still available although deprecated). If it's OpenHome there's also Linn's Kazoo.
23-01-2018, 18:17 (This post was last modified: 23-01-2018 18:18 by dukdukgoos.)
I was trying to read my Synology NAS's music library with foobar2000 and the UPnP plugin by bubblegum. What I found is super basic stuff like sorting doesn't work. For example, years sorted low to high, tagOptions removal of intro words like "The" didn't work. It seems like foobar doesn't use the sorted list MinimServer sends at all (it just uses the raw data I guess). I thought I had configured something wrong in the Minim props but when I finally checked another control point (BubbleUPnP Android) it all worked. My fault I guess for not trying multiple control points earlier to compare...
24-01-2018, 15:14
(23-01-2018 18:17)dukdukgoos Wrote:  I was trying to read my Synology NAS's music library with foobar2000 and the UPnP plugin by bubblegum. What I found is super basic stuff like sorting doesn't work. For example, years sorted low to high, tagOptions removal of intro words like "The" didn't work. It seems like foobar doesn't use the sorted list MinimServer sends at all (it just uses the raw data I guess). I thought I had configured something wrong in the Minim props but when I finally checked another control point (BubbleUPnP Android) it all worked. My fault I guess for not trying multiple control points earlier to compare...

Foobar 2000 does many things but being a UPnP control point is not its strength. Much better for playback and CD burning. It works more reliable through a network share, I find.
24-01-2018, 15:45
I have contacted the developer of foo_upnp about this. When he responds, I will post an update here.