Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch not starting
26-05-2015, 15:46
Minimwatch not starting
I installed the 64 bit version of Minimwatch, because I have 64 bit Windows 7. When I started it, I got a window saying I have the wrong version of Java. I installed the latest version of 32 bit Java from my 32 bit Chrome browser. Then I uninstalled 64 bit Minimwatch and installed 32 bit Minimwatch. When I tried starting Minimwatch, I got a window saying: "windows can't open this file. File: mwatch.jar".

I checked runtime environment settings in control panel>java, and found that product 1.8.0_45 is enabled.I don't know what else to check.

Can you help?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2015, 21:57 (This post was last modified: 26-05-2015 21:59 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimwatch not starting
(26-05-2015 15:46)MarcelZ Wrote:  I installed the 64 bit version of Minimwatch, because I have 64 bit Windows 7. When I started it, I got a window saying I have the wrong version of Java. I installed the latest version of 32 bit Java from my 32 bit Chrome browser. Then I uninstalled 64 bit Minimwatch and installed 32 bit Minimwatch. When I tried starting Minimwatch, I got a window saying: "windows can't open this file. File: mwatch.jar".

I checked runtime environment settings in control panel>java, and found that product 1.8.0_45 is enabled.I don't know what else to check.

Can you help?

You probably don't have the correct program association for .jar files. You can check this in Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. The .jar extension should be associated with "Java(TM) Platform SE binary".
28-05-2015, 19:24
You were right. .jar was not associated with any program. I associated it with C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin\javaw.exe. Now, if I look in Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program, I can see that .jar is indeed associated with "Java™ Platform SE binary". Unfortunately it is still not working. Now if I double click minimwatch, nothing happens at all. No error message, just nothing.

Any other ideas?
28-05-2015, 22:07
(28-05-2015 19:24)MarcelZ Wrote:  You were right. .jar was not associated with any program. I associated it with C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin\javaw.exe. Now, if I look in Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program, I can see that .jar is indeed associated with "Java™ Platform SE binary". Unfortunately it is still not working. Now if I double click minimwatch, nothing happens at all. No error message, just nothing.

Any other ideas?

This should place a small icon with a minim symbol (musical note) in your system tray at the bottom right of the screen. This icon might be in the overflow area which you can access by clicking the upward-pointing triangle. Do you see this minim icon?
29-05-2015, 06:42
No, I don't the minimwatch icon in the system tray. That is the point. Sorry - I wasn't clear.
29-05-2015, 08:12
(29-05-2015 06:42)MarcelZ Wrote:  No, I don't the minimwatch icon in the system tray. That is the point. Sorry - I wasn't clear.

If you open Task Manager, do you see a process named javaw.exe running?
29-05-2015, 10:47
No javaw.exe is not running. Should it be running all the time? I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin\ and double clicked javaw.exe. It is still not visible in Task Manager. When I go to "verify java version" on http://www.java.com is says I have the latest version.
29-05-2015, 21:52
(29-05-2015 10:47)MarcelZ Wrote:  No javaw.exe is not running. Should it be running all the time? I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_45\bin\ and double clicked javaw.exe. It is still not visible in Task Manager. When I go to "verify java version" on http://www.java.com is says I have the latest version.

This means that MinimWatch has failed to start for some reason.

Please post the contents of the minimwatch.log file. You will find this file in the following folder:

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data

The AppData folder is hidden in Explorer, so you need to type the above path into the Explorer address bar.
30-05-2015, 07:10
I can navigate to C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming. There is no MinimWatch listed in this folder. If I type MinimWatch in the address bar at this point, I am taken to the internet browser. I guess this means that MinimWatch is not in the folder (not even as a hidden file). For good measure, I uninstalled and re-installed MinimWatch, but still no MinimWatch in C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming
30-05-2015, 10:30
(30-05-2015 07:10)MarcelZ Wrote:  I can navigate to C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming. There is no MinimWatch listed in this folder. If I type MinimWatch in the address bar at this point, I am taken to the internet browser. I guess this means that MinimWatch is not in the folder (not even as a hidden file). For good measure, I uninstalled and re-installed MinimWatch, but still no MinimWatch in C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming

Try opening a command prompt window and typing the following two commands:

cd "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib"
mwatch.jar

What happens when you type the second command?