Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iOS control app for MinimServer
19-05-2015, 14:31
iOS control app for MinimServer
I've not searched recent Forum threads in depth but I think this is a new option for controlling the playback of music files from MinimServer up to 24/192, gaplessly:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/musiclif...39521?mt=8

The free MusicLife iOS app from ARCAM does almost all that BubbleUPnP does on Android platforms, however while it can play the Linn streams it cannot play the BBC Radio streams. Because the app squeezes all the library, album and track playback information onto 1 page I still prefer the look and extra detail available from BubbleUPnP. The initial impression of the MusicLife app is that it is faster responding however it looks as though this is because it has a smaller cache than BubbleUPnP, as with my large library it has to stop to read more library data if I move far from my first choice of music.

The app is well worth a trial for new users of MinimServer who only have an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) and don't wish to buy an Android one.

David

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 16:20
RE: iOS control app for MinimServer
(19-05-2015 14:31)DavidL Wrote:  I've not searched recent Forum threads in depth but I think this is a new option for controlling the playback of music files from MinimServer up to 24/192, gaplessly:

The free MusicLife iOS app from ARCAM does almost all that BubbleUPnP does on Android platforms, however while it can play the Linn streams it cannot play the BBC Radio streams. Because the app squeezes all the library, album and track playback information onto 1 page I still prefer the look and extra detail available from BubbleUPnP. The initial impression of the MusicLife app is that it is faster responding however it looks as though this is because it has a smaller cache than BubbleUPnP, as with my large library it has to stop to read more library data if I move far from my first choice of music.

The app is well worth a trial for new users of MinimServer who only have an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) and don't wish to buy an Android one.

David

Thanks for this pointer. I have installed MusicLife and tried it. It seems to work well and I didn't notice any cache-related delays. I will investigate why it isn't playing network streams.
19-05-2015, 20:04
(19-05-2015 16:20)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this pointer. I have installed MusicLife and tried it. It seems to work well and I didn't notice any cache-related delays. I will investigate why it isn't playing network streams.

It seems that MusicLife can only play streams with a specified duration. You can add a fake duration to the BBC stream by editing the m3u playlist and changing the duration of -1 to something else such as 999999. After doing this, you need to do a MinimServer rescan.
19-05-2015, 21:18
(19-05-2015 14:31)DavidL Wrote:  I've not searched recent Forum threads in depth but I think this is a new option for controlling the playback of music files from MinimServer up to 24/192, gaplessly:

David
I have tried this app and it works with my Raspberry (Volumio) but not with the CA StreamMagic 6.
Is there a way to control volume with this app?

Peter.
31-05-2015, 04:51
Hello,
I'm quite a huge fan of Lightning DS by Auralic to control with mi iPad Volumio on my raspberryPi, browsing my Flac collection from a minim server running on a Synology NAS.
But it seems to be quite unstable, need to reboot the app quite often. Any personal experience?
Would love to get your feedback on that Simon
Thanks!