Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equalizer
24-08-2015, 20:50 (This post was last modified: 24-08-2015 20:52 by jaaptina.)
RE: Equalizer
Great! Good to know that you need to acitvate transcoding to make the converter/equalizer work. Now I know I understand. But I have been wondering why converting did seem to do anything any more.

Back to my old question. Is there a way to combine two equalizer settings? f.e.
convOut=-af equalizer=f=58:width_type=h:width=10:g=-4, convOut=-af equalizer=f=3520:width_type=o:width=4:g=3

Greetings,
Jaap
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2015, 21:22
(24-08-2015 14:05)jensulrik Wrote:  It Works !
Back from work i tried this: 'convOut=-af highpass=f=100' and it works like a charm :-)
MP3 files also plays - havent tested wether they are affected by the ffmpeg.

To pass mp3 files through ffmpeg, you can specify mp3:wav in stream.transcode.

Quote:Will ffmpeg affect sound quality ?

This depends on what options you specify. Transcoding from flac to wav with the same sample rate shouldn't cause any problems. I haven't tried the ffmpeg equalizer, so I don't know what effect that has.

Quote:Thought I should tell you that I recently invested in a couple of
rather expensive Audiovector Sr3 and because of the bass resonance
I had to disable the lower bass unit (it works like a 'slave' unit now ...)
but now I can promote the unit back to active status and start experimenting with the ffmpeg - thanks very much for the help !

regards
Jens Ulrik

You're very welcome!
24-08-2015, 21:25
(24-08-2015 20:50)jaaptina Wrote:  Back to my old question. Is there a way to combine two equalizer settings? f.e.
convOut=-af equalizer=f=58:width_type=h:width=10:g=-4, convOut=-af equalizer=f=3520:width_type=o:width=4:g=3

Not yet. I think the best solution will be to change the convOut option syntax from:

convOut=some option string, perhaps including a comma

to:

convOut={some option string, perhaps including a comma}
25-08-2015, 17:04
(24-08-2015 21:25)simoncn Wrote:  Not yet. I think the best solution will be to change the convOut option syntax from:

convOut=some option string, perhaps including a comma

to:

convOut={some option string, perhaps including a comma}

Thanks for the reply. I'll be patient.

Jaap
02-09-2015, 19:11
I have been experimenting with the FFmpeg equilizer. This spring I bought some bigger monitor speakers with bigger sound (Penaudio Cenya). However I missed the nice vocals of my old speakers (Penaudio Rebel). My amp is an English Sonneteer Alabaster without sound adjustment possibilities. So I added a Behringer DEQ2496 digital EQ between streamer and dac to reduce bass at 58Hz and highten the higher frequenties.
With FFmpeg setting convOut=-af equalizer=f=3520:width_type=o:width=3:g=3 in Minimstreamer I was able to recapture the sparkling sound of the Rebel speakers.
I found this post and the linked pages on ffmpeq equaliser settings and frequenties in general very helpfull:FFmpeg Equalizer
13-09-2015, 20:27
I am trying to apply some equalizer settings for the first time now and cannot get it to work. To make it easier I have one question: Do you have to restart minim server after applying a property change?

If I want to reduce the highest highs, which frequency and filter I should choose? I am trying this setting:

convOut=-af equalizer=f=20000:width_type=o:width=500:g=-20

(minim server running on a Synology NAS DS213+)
13-09-2015, 21:12
(13-09-2015 20:27)tarnkappe Wrote:  I am trying to apply some equalizer settings for the first time now and cannot get it to work. To make it easier I have one question: Do you have to restart minim server after applying a property change?

If I want to reduce the highest highs, which frequency and filter I should choose? I am trying this setting:

convOut=-af equalizer=f=20000:width_type=o:width=500:g=-20

(minim server running on a Synology NAS DS213+)

I can answer the first of these questions. Some properties require a MinimServer restart after a change and some don't. If your question is about the stream.options property, changing this doesn't require a MinimServer restart.
13-09-2015, 21:19
Ok, thank you. Yes, I am asking for the stream.options property. This makes testing different settings much faster.

Unfortunately I cannot produce any effect with the equalizer. I am transcoding flac to wav24 and tried to achieve an effect in treble or bass with different gains (positive and negative). I will continue trying around...
13-09-2015, 21:26
(13-09-2015 21:19)tarnkappe Wrote:  Ok, thank you. Yes, I am asking for the stream.options property. This makes testing different settings much faster.

Unfortunately I cannot produce any effect with the equalizer. I am transcoding flac to wav24 and tried to achieve an effect in treble or bass with different gains (positive and negative). I will continue trying around...

Transcoding flac to wav24 doesn't pass the stream through a converter. This is why you aren't seeing any effect.

The next update will support a new setting to force the use of a converter for FLAC to WAV transcoding. For now, you can specify an explicit sample rate for the output stream (for example, flac:wav24;96 or flac:wav24;44) as a workaround to force the use of a converter.
13-09-2015, 21:44 (This post was last modified: 13-09-2015 21:46 by tarnkappe.)
LOL. I am glad that you write this. I do not know how long I would have tried several settings tonight Smile

With mp3 it works, but it is quite difficult to find the right settings... I will try the wav24;xx settings as well.

Thanks
Gert