Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer Java memory problem
25-04-2015, 18:02 (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015 18:47 by highstream.)
MinimServer Java memory problem
Since Monday evening, I've been running my Win 8.1 computer close to 24/7, short shutdowns and reboots included, with music playing. I've used foobar mostly, some with sessions with Kazoo/MinimServer (also JPlay). MinimServer has typically been running even during the foobar sessions. And with that, everything was fine until early Friday morning and then again this morning (Sat). Upon returning to the computer each time, I found Windows effectively locked up with a memory error, Java Platform SE binary being named as the culprit* (I have 16GB RAM). Shutting down and a restart clears it, but I wonder why this is occurring. Other than MinimServer, I don't normally run Java - it's disabled in all my browsers - although a few programs do require it be installed. Java 8 Update 45 (32- and 64-bit) is installed. Any ideas? Thanks,

Afterthought: looking at System Explorer, the error box was actually showing javaw.exe as the problem, if I recall correctly. I didn't take a screenshot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2015, 21:16
RE: MinimServer Java memory problem
(25-04-2015 18:02)highstream Wrote:  Since Monday evening, I've been running my Win 8.1 computer close to 24/7, short shutdowns and reboots included, with music playing. I've used foobar mostly, some with sessions with Kazoo/MinimServer (also JPlay). MinimServer has typically been running even during the foobar sessions. And with that, everything was fine until early Friday morning and then again this morning (Sat). Upon returning to the computer each time, I found Windows effectively locked up with a memory error, Java Platform SE binary being named as the culprit* (I have 16GB RAM). Shutting down and a restart clears it, but I wonder why this is occurring. Other than MinimServer, I don't normally run Java - it's disabled in all my browsers - although a few programs do require it be installed. Java 8 Update 45 (32- and 64-bit) is installed. Any ideas? Thanks,

Afterthought: looking at System Explorer, the error box was actually showing javaw.exe as the problem, if I recall correctly. I didn't take a screenshot.

How much memory was javaw.exe using?
25-04-2015, 21:29
Right now with music playing for the past couple of hours via MinimStreamer/Kazoo (vs. foobar), 260,520 (mb?). At the time I've found it, I've been unable to open (or close) any programs or utilities, although it's not frozen, which is what I mean by Windows is effectively locked up.
25-04-2015, 21:41
(25-04-2015 21:29)highstream Wrote:  Right now with music playing for the past couple of hours via MinimStreamer/Kazoo (vs. foobar), 260,520 (mb?). At the time I've found it, I've been unable to open (or close) any programs or utilities, although it's not frozen, which is what I mean by Windows is effectively locked up.

If your computer has 16 GB of RAM, 260 MB for javaw.exe shouldn't cause any problems. I think the problem must be caused by something else. If it happens again, please post a screenshot of the Task Manager window.