Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcoding AIFF to...
21-04-2015, 16:23
Transcoding AIFF to...
Hello, I use minimserver/Minimstreamer for a while now and I'm happy with it.
I just bought a new renderer (Marantz MCR-510) but it is not compliant with AIFF.
I did not find any solution to transcode AIFF with minimstreamer : is it possible or any trick to read these AIFF files ?

Best Regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 17:34 (This post was last modified: 21-04-2015 17:36 by DavidHB.)
RE: Transcoding AIFF to...
You could use DbPoweramp Music Converter in batch mode (there is a 21 day free trial) to convert your AIFF files to a lossless format that MinimStreamer supports.

The ideal would be FLAC, as MinimStreamer can handle that natively without using FFMPEG. If the Marantz can play WAV24 files (the documentation is not clear on this), FLAC to WAV24 transcoding would then be the way to go; otherwise, you could use FLAC to WAV16. According to the documentation, the Marantz can also play FLAC files directly without transcoding, so that would also be an option.

David
23-04-2015, 06:07
Hello, thanks for your advice but I don't want to change format as I need AIFF to play on my iOS devices.
At this time I use Jriver instead of minimserver as Jriver can transcode AIFF to Wave natively. I don't know if it is a limitation of minimserver or just not done because nobody is requesting that.
23-04-2015, 09:34
(23-04-2015 06:07)Patatorz Wrote:  Hello, thanks for your advice but I don't want to change format as I need AIFF to play on my iOS devices.
At this time I use Jriver instead of minimserver as Jriver can transcode AIFF to Wave natively. I don't know if it is a limitation of minimserver or just not done because nobody is requesting that.

There have been a couple of requests for this. It is on my list of possible enhancements for a future release of MinimServer.
23-04-2015, 09:36
(23-04-2015 06:07)Patatorz Wrote:  Hello, thanks for your advice but I don't want to change format as I need AIFF to play on my iOS devices.

I think that the issue is that FFMPEG does not support .aif/.aiff files. These files are supported by MinimServer. One of the many reasons I do not use iOS devices is the paucity (actually, the selfishness) of their format support.

You could convert your AIFF files to ALAC, which is supported in iOS, by MinimStreamer and by your Marantz device.

David
23-04-2015, 10:29
(23-04-2015 09:36)DavidHB Wrote:  I think that the issue is that FFMPEG does not support .aif/.aiff files. These files are supported by MinimServer. One of the many reasons I do not use iOS devices is the paucity (actually, the selfishness) of their format support.

FFmpeg does support AIFF but I don't think it makes sense for MinimStreamer to invoke FFmpeg when converting from one uncompressed format to another. If and when this is supported by MinimStreamer, it will be done internally without using FFmpeg.
23-04-2015, 15:02
(23-04-2015 10:29)simoncn Wrote:  FFmpeg does support AIFF but I don't think it makes sense for MinimStreamer to invoke FFmpeg when converting from one uncompressed format to another. If and when this is supported by MinimStreamer, it will be done internally without using FFmpeg.

Thanks for the correction and clarification. I did check the FFMPEG documentation, but it's not all that easy for the uninitiated to find their way around it.

David
23-04-2015, 22:00
(23-04-2015 15:02)DavidHB Wrote:  Thanks for the correction and clarification. I did check the FFMPEG documentation, but it's not all that easy for the uninitiated to find their way around it.

David

To see the list of formats supported, you can type:

ffmpeg -formats

To see the list of codecs supported, you can type:

ffmpeg -codecs

I think this is the only way to get complete and correct information.
24-04-2015, 12:03
(23-04-2015 22:00)simoncn Wrote:  I think this is the only way to get complete and correct information.

I rest my case Smile.

David
25-04-2015, 09:21
(23-04-2015 09:36)DavidHB Wrote:  

I think that the issue is that FFMPEG does not support .aif/.aiff files. These files are supported by MinimServer. One of the many reasons I do not use iOS devices is the paucity (actually, the selfishness) of their format support.

You could convert your AIFF files to ALAC, which is supported in iOS, by MinimStreamer and by your Marantz device.

David

Thanks for your support. i understand your concerns but let's fit on the request to not re-open the debate around iOS and other OS...

Thanks Simon for your answer
Thanks Simon