Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver help for dummy!
14-04-2015, 12:14 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 10:52 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimserver help for dummy!
(14-04-2015 10:08)kjbuk Wrote:  Yes, the Roberts works cleanly and the Onkyo doesn't. On the basis that it is not a buffering issue and that the Roberts is connecting by wi-fi and the Onkyo is on the mains distributed LAN, I decided to try the Onkyo by wi-fi. Guess what? It worked! I really don't understand why as I have no trouble with other internet stations using mains LAN. However I have now got a clean sound on the main hi-fi apart from the odd little spit which occurs on the Shoutcast stream anyway.

It's interesting to hear that this was the cause of the problem. I'm glad you have solved it now.

Quote:Using *:L16 to get decoded PCM UPnP on the Roberts still slows the audio down on both radios. Do you know of a cure for this?

The BBC streams have a sample rate of 48 kHz and MinimStreamer is assuming a sample rate of 44.1 kHz by default. This simplest fix is to add a sample rate value to the .m3u playlist entry for the stream. For example, instead of

[R3] BBC Radio 3

you can specify

[R3;aac,48000] BBC Radio 3

(edit: corrected typo in above line)

This setting is only needed if the stream is being transcoded to L16 or L24 but does no harm for other uses of the stream.

Quote:The Olympia radio via Reciva seems to be a hopeless case as the radio manufacturers in Germany will not support it any longer.

I will make a donation today.

Thanks very much!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 10:21
(14-04-2015 12:14)simoncn Wrote:  The BBC streams have a sample rate of 48 kHz and MinimStreamer is assuming a sample rate of 44.1 kHz by default. This simplest fix is to add a sample rate value to the .m3u playlist entry for the stream. For example, instead of

[R3] BBC Radio 3

you can specify

[R3;aac:48000] BBC Radio 3

This setting is only needed if the stream is being transcoded to L16 or L24 but does no harm for other uses of the stream.

That has cured the audio slowdown Simon but it only works with a full colon : after R3 and not a semi-colon ;

Also World Service is 24000 not 48000.

Thanks.
17-04-2015, 10:51 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 11:01 by simoncn.)
(17-04-2015 10:21)kjbuk Wrote:  That has cured the audio slowdown Simon but it only works with a full colon : after R3 and not a semi-colon ;

Also World Service is 24000 not 48000.

Thanks.

It requires a semicolon after R3 and a comma after aac (not a colon after aac as I said in my earlier post).

Edit: With this setting, you also need to change *:L16 to aac:L16 in the stream.transcode property.

Thanks for the information about World Service.
17-04-2015, 11:48 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 11:56 by kjbuk.)
Well, I'm still playing about with it! It seems WS does need 48000 now. UPnP plays on both radios at 1536kbps PCM at correct audio speed. However, internet radio will now only play on the Roberts and not the Onkyo and is also now coded to 1536 PCM! Is there any quality loss by the change to PCM?
17-04-2015, 12:40
(17-04-2015 11:48)kjbuk Wrote:  Well, I'm still playing about with it! It seems WS does need 48000 now. UPnP plays on both radios at 1536kbps PCM at correct audio speed. However, internet radio will now only play on the Roberts and not the Onkyo and is also now coded to 1536 PCM! Is there any quality loss by the change to PCM?

Did you change stream.trancode to aac:L16? This would explain why you are getting 1536 kbps PCM on the Roberts. It sounds like the Onkyo can't handle a PCM stream from an internet radio URL. This isn't surprising, as there probably aren't any intenet radio stations that use this stream format.
17-04-2015, 12:54
Yes it is aac:L16. I guess I'll have to live with just using UPnP on the Onkyo. Would you just confirm what audio quality is lost when decoding to PCM please.
17-04-2015, 13:42
(17-04-2015 12:54)kjbuk Wrote:  Yes it is aac:L16. I guess I'll have to live with just using UPnP on the Onkyo. Would you just confirm what audio quality is lost when decoding to PCM please.

There should be no loss in audio quality.

I have got a bit lost as to what you are trying to achieve. On the Onkyo, do you prefer to listen via internet radio or via UPnP? What about on the Roberts?
17-04-2015, 15:56
I was really trying to get the BBC streams both via internet radio and UPnP but there is probably no real logic in that if I'm only using Minimserver in one location.

I'm happy with using UPnP for both radios if there is no loss of quality with PCM coding. Anyway, it is probably the most direct route and also seems to clean up the noise problem which I was still suffering from to a degree.

Thanks again.