Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WD MyCloud and Minimserver
01-07-2015, 19:43
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver
(01-07-2015 16:33)JacBast Wrote:  I would like to use a WD MyCloud to stream my music with MinimServer.

In the forum, I saw that it was possible. But I did not find instructions that simply explain how to install MinimServer on WD MyCloud.

Would it be possible to you to send me this explanation?

Thanks by advance,
Jacques

If you have done any linux tinkering with a WD NAS there is enough on this thread to enable installation. However, if you are completely new to this there are some basics to cover as you cannot install anything on a WD NAS via the GUI, as it's so restricted. You might first want to confirm if there is a download of Minimserver that matches your CPU type, Simon may be kind enough to confirm if you can confirm your CPU. Then:

1. Enable SSH access. On mine I go to http://mybooklive/UI/ssh and check the option. There may be a warning message.
2. Download a terminal window client to your PC. I use PuTTY, just google it.
3. Open PuTTY and in the Host field type in the IP address of your NAS (I have mine set up as static so it never changes). Click on Open and you should get a terminal window with a prompt to login to the NAS.
4. Log in as "root" user. The default password on a MyBook is "welc0me" (note the zero in welc0me")
5. You are now ready to start doing stuff. I would start by trying to get Java running. Not sure if your NAS will have a different CPU to my old MyBook, you will need to check and download the appropriate "headless" version of Java. I did that via Windows and saved it to a /Public share on the NAS.
6. You can now follow my instructions in post above, do not proceed further until you have confirmed that Java is installed by typing "java -version" from a directory where Java is not installed, so you know it's found via the PATH.
7. Download Minimserver tar file that matches your CPU type
8. Follow instructions in previous post
9. Install MinimWatch on your PC, be patient, it should find the server.
10. Configure via MinimWatch and enjoy. I immediately disabled Twonky to save CPU time (type /etc/init.d/twonky stop), as I had no need of other media serving functions from Twonky, and as an audio server it's pretty rubbish.
11. I never solved auto-restart of Minim after NAS reboot, if you do have to reboot the NAS, simply log in via PuTTY, go to the Minim directory where the command scripts are (see previous post) and type "startd" which will launch Minim in the background.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 23:14
Thanks for posting these instructions. I think the correct download for the WD My Cloud is MinimServer-0.8.3d-linux-arm.tar.gz (see this page).
02-07-2015, 17:49
AC16116, thank you very much for your post !
I cannot wait to try this setup...
Jacques
09-07-2015, 16:55
Jacques: Any luck with the installation of Java and Minimserver on the WD My Cloud? If so, which version of Java did you download?
Thinking of trying this myself!
14-09-2015, 02:20
I am also very interested in the outcome. I am ready to ditch my Synology DS115j which has given me nothing but trouble and has far too many features for my needs. Based on the reviews at smallnetbuilder and users, it seems I might be be happier off with something like WD EX2100 (using an Marvell® ARMADA® 385 1.3 GHz dual-core processor). However, as a recent convert to minimserver, I want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong product.
( I know how to install packages on NAS but that is reaching the outer limits of my networking knowledge.)
17-09-2015, 21:29
(14-09-2015 02:20)branonx Wrote:  I am also very interested in the outcome. I am ready to ditch my Synology DS115j which has given me nothing but trouble and has far too many features for my needs. Based on the reviews at smallnetbuilder and users, it seems I might be be happier off with something like WD EX2100 (using an Marvell® ARMADA® 385 1.3 GHz dual-core processor). However, as a recent convert to minimserver, I want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong product.
( I know how to install packages on NAS but that is reaching the outer limits of my networking knowledge.)

If you are using MinimServer on Synology, the installation process is fully tested and supported, I have the hardware and can try any scenarios that are causing you problems and I can raise issues with my Synology contact when necessary.

If you are using MinimServer on WD, the installation process is untested and might or might not work, I don't have the hardware and can't try any scenarios that are causing you problems and I can't raise any issues with WD.
03-10-2015, 19:06
(17-09-2015 21:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 02:20)branonx Wrote:  I am also very interested in the outcome. I am ready to ditch my Synology DS115j which has given me nothing but trouble and has far too many features for my needs. Based on the reviews at smallnetbuilder and users, it seems I might be be happier off with something like WD EX2100 (using an Marvell® ARMADA® 385 1.3 GHz dual-core processor). However, as a recent convert to minimserver, I want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong product.

If you are using MinimServer on Synology, the installation process is fully tested and supported, I have the hardware and can try any scenarios that are causing you problems and I can raise issues with my Synology contact when necessary.

If you are using MinimServer on WD, the installation process is untested and might or might not work, I don't have the hardware and can't try any scenarios that are causing you problems and I can't raise any issues with WD.

Thanks for replying. To clarify, the problems I have had with Synology are not related to Minimserver at all.
I have moved to a QNAP right now which seems to be working great (and the userface is at least a little more intuitive than Synology).
27-10-2015, 10:18
First post, hello everybody!

Tried to install the mentioned version on my WD My Cloud. The java -version command results to "KILLED", which means that the linux kernel is killing the process immediately. As it seems, java is not running on this NAS ...
27-10-2015, 10:32
(27-10-2015 10:18)Panos Wrote:  First post, hello everybody!

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:Tried to install the mentioned version on my WD My Cloud. The java -version command results to "KILLED", which means that the linux kernel is killing the process immediately. As it seems, java is not running on this NAS ...

It sounds like you have downloaded the wrong version of Java. Which model of My Cloud do you have and what is the exact filename of the Java file you have downloaded?
27-10-2015, 22:57
(27-10-2015 10:32)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 10:18)Panos Wrote:  First post, hello everybody!

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:Tried to install the mentioned version on my WD My Cloud. The java -version command results to "KILLED", which means that the linux kernel is killing the process immediately. As it seems, java is not running on this NAS ...

It sounds like you have downloaded the wrong version of Java. Which model of My Cloud do you have and what is the exact filename of the Java file you have downloaded?

uname -a
Linux WDMyCloud 3.2.26 #1 SMP Thu Jul 9 11:14:15 PDT 2015 wd-2.4-rel armv7l GNU/Linux

and in /lib I have arm-linux-gnueabihf directory, which means AFAIK that I should select the hard floated version. I used for java ejre-7u75-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-server_headless-18_dec_2014, downloaded from the Oracle website.
I am not an expert, so if you know what I did wrong ...