Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
WD MyCloud and Minimserver
06-05-2015, 13:09
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver
Appreciate that you would even consider than. In case useful, I believe these are the current version details:

MyBookLive:~# ldd --version
ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.11.2-2) 2.11.2
Copyright © 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 15:21
(06-05-2015 13:09)ac16161 Wrote:  Appreciate that you would even consider than. In case useful, I believe these are the current version details:

MyBookLive:~# ldd --version
ldd (Debian EGLIBC 2.11.2-2) 2.11.2
Copyright © 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

I have a test build for this. Would you be willing to try it?
09-06-2015, 20:17
I certainly would.
10-06-2015, 12:51 (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 18:12 by simoncn.)
(09-06-2015 20:17)ac16161 Wrote:  I certainly would.

Thanks very much for trying the test build.

Official downloads for both MinimServer and MinimWatch for Linux PowerPC with this change are now available from the Downloads page. The new builds have "0.8.3e" in their filenames.
10-06-2015, 20:13
Simon,

Thanks again for all your work on the new build. It runs very well on a MyBook Live. For others that may be interested, here is a rough outline of what I did:

Downloaded the Java file recommended earlier in this thread and saved in a folder /shares/Public/Java. I used tar -zxf to extract it (not sure if those are the necessary options but it worked). I now have a directory called ejre1.7.0_75 in ../Public/Java. I wasn't sure how to permanently change the PATH environment variable so I created a link to the /usr/local/bin directory which is already in the PATH

ln -s /shares/Public/Java/ejre1.7.0_75/bin/java /usr/local/bin/java

Confirm Java can be found with the command "java -version", I get the following:

MyBookLive:/shares/Public# java -version
java version "1.7.0_75"
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_75-b13, headless)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode)

I then used tar to extract the new PPC build of MinimServer to a folder /shares/Public/Minim, then went down a couple of levels to /shares/Public/Minim/minimserver/bin where the key management scripts are. Typing the command "./startc" confirmed Minimserver no longer had the GLIBC crash

MyBookLive:/shares/Public/Minim/minimserver/bin# ./startc
MinimServer 0.8.3 update 66, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
MinimStreamer 0.5.12, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
starting MinimServer[MyBookLive]
Enter command (? for help), or null to exit:

Instead I guess I could have gone straight to ./startd, which I then did, to have Minimserver run constantly, and on running MinimWatch from my PC it picked up the new server straight away with a red icon to warn that no content directory had been specified - having specified the content directory I was all set. Installation of the transcoding package via MinimWatch also worked.

Performance? Way beyond what I was expecting. Server restarts are a tad slow (to be expected on a MyBook), but once running, it pretty much flies using Kinksy on an iPad. Transcoding works without skipping a beat.

Anyone out there who is trying to keep a MyBook going or otherwise has a WD NAS that is restricted to an old verison of Twonky, it's well worth having a go. Sound quality is noticeably better, and MinimServer is simply miles better than Twonky in so many ways. I had previously installed the current version of Twonky on my MyBook but it still has basic design flaws.

Just want to finish with a big Thank You to Simon, wherever you are, I am raising a beer to your good health.
10-06-2015, 20:24
Thanks for this feedback and the very helpful instructions for other users.

Have you used the minimserver/bin/setup command to configure automatic startup of MinimServer when the My Book Live is rebooted? I would be interested to hear whether this is working.
11-06-2015, 19:11
(10-06-2015 20:24)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this feedback and the very helpful instructions for other users.

Have you used the minimserver/bin/setup command to configure automatic startup of MinimServer when the My Book Live is rebooted? I would be interested to hear whether this is working.

Tried this, and although all appeared good in the terminal window, when I re-booted, Minimserver did not automatically start. Tried a couple of times, no joy. Not really an inconvenience though, re-boot events are not that common. For now using startd after a re-boot.
11-06-2015, 20:29
(11-06-2015 19:11)ac16161 Wrote:  Tried this, and although all appeared good in the terminal window, when I re-booted, Minimserver did not automatically start. Tried a couple of times, no joy. Not really an inconvenience though, re-boot events are not that common. For now using startd after a re-boot.

Thanks for letting me know.

It sounds like the My Book Live uses a nonstandard approach for controlling how programs are started automatically at reboot time. Without having a My Book Live for debugging and testing, there's not much I can do to find a solution for this.
11-06-2015, 22:03
It's really of no consequence. Probably easy enough for me to patch this if I feel inclined.
01-07-2015, 16:33
I would like to use a WD MyCloud to stream my music with MinimServer.

In the forum, I saw that it was possible. But I did not find instructions that simply explain how to install MinimServer on WD MyCloud.

Would it be possible to you to send me this explanation?

Thanks by advance,
Jacques