Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC Podcasts
29-03-2015, 14:44
BBC Podcasts
Will MinimServer transcode BBC podcasts into a format my Roberts Stream83i and Naim Internet radios can play?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 17:37
RE: BBC Podcasts
(29-03-2015 14:44)machare Wrote:  Will MinimServer transcode BBC podcasts into a format my Roberts Stream83i and Naim Internet radios can play?

I haven't tried BBC podcasts. MinimServer and MinimStreamer can play BBC live streams on both the Roberts and Naim.
30-03-2015, 12:14
I'd be interested in this (in fact, a good iPlayer Radio ListenAgain solution would have Sonos users climbing over each other to get MinimServer).

I did create a solution which required a non-streaming transcoding step, but it was a bit clunky.

This site was a good start

http://www.iplayerconverter.co.uk/default.aspx
01-04-2015, 17:18 (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 18:25 by Tell.)
There is get iplayer for technical devotees which has a windows interface to the background pearl script. Other platforms you just run the script and type in commands, Linux programmers would love it. It does the job or a job. Updated and amended by what would appear to be a large developer base that seems to know what they are doing or drink in the same pub as the BBC staff staying several steps ahead it appears at times of the BBC's audio changes of indexing programmes and internet delivery. Periodically it stops working till they fix it. Squarepenguin is the key word for that.

The penny dropped the other day and I can be told that I'm wrong if you wish. I don't have an Apple phone / tablet, I wouldn't touch Apple products for historic reasons of not being open platforms, but I believe that the airplay feature on these devices can be used to redirect the audio to airplay systems which means that the BBC implementation of having exclusive access to content only on BBC applications which is their thrust does cater for those people who do air play into their audio systems, so they aren't stuck by the BBC's app approach or BBC website access. You can only audio airplay on Android systems off any app if it's been routed (something you don't really want to do - route your phone or tablet) which means the BBC's love affair with Apple isn't a level playing field leaving the common man with their Android phone / tablet ecosystem at a disadvantage... I can now see why in some quarters the BBC wouldn't think it an issue that they turned off internet radios from their streams since when they get home they link up their Apple products to their audio systems....

Returning to the question there is a difference between "podcasts" and the iplayer radio materiel. Podcasts are the MP3 delivery edited materiel for wider access whilst the iplayer materiel is the listen again. Get iplayer does both. Some of the radio materiel never gets on to any radio app but is only available on the BBC website although mentioned software accesses this as well. Thinking of BBC Scotland's Travelling Folk. So the only tool I know that gets everything via a download is the one mentioned.