Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcode FLAC to MP3
29-03-2015, 09:40
transcode FLAC to MP3
Hello,

I use the Synology NAS 411+II and Bose SoundTouch 20. I want to transcode FLAC to MP3 because SoundTouch20 does not support WAV and FLAC. I set "stream.transcode" to flac:mp3 but I got an error message "unsupported transcoding combination". ( stream.converter is ffmpeg ). Please advise how to transcode flac to mp3. Thank you.

Best regards,
Anat
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 17:19
RE: transcode FLAC to MP3
(29-03-2015 09:40)aruangra Wrote:  Hello,

I use the Synology NAS 411+II and Bose SoundTouch 20. I want to transcode FLAC to MP3 because SoundTouch20 does not support WAV and FLAC. I set "stream.transcode" to flac:mp3 but I got an error message "unsupported transcoding combination". ( stream.converter is ffmpeg ). Please advise how to transcode flac to mp3. Thank you.

Best regards,
Anat

You can't transcode files to MP3, only network streams. Does your renderer support the L16 format? If so, you could use flac:L16.
03-09-2015, 18:53
(29-03-2015 17:19)simoncn Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 09:40)aruangra Wrote:  Hello,

Best regards,
Anat

You can't transcode files to MP3, only network streams. Does your renderer support the L16 format? If so, you could use flac:L16.

Is there any reason why converting to MP3 can't be done?

My use case is not for streaming, but for downloading to a phone or other portable device to save disk space. I know Bubble does this but I'd rather it were performed on the server.

This of course would need to go hand in hand with my second request..which is to somehow in the tree make available the various conversion options, so that the mp3 song/album could be downloaded.

Ideally at the top level of the tree alongside album, artist etc you'd have a .conversion folder that below it would contain the items that are in a converted state
> flac
> mp3
which once selected would then present the usual navigation options.
I can see this presenting some challenges though, so how about having this option in the album window? Ideally from bubble I'd be able to download the album at this point clicking on the .flac or .mp3 or navigating into the folder and downloading individual songs.

This would also make it simple to perform listening tests. One could choose the flac version of the file and add it to the playlist, then add the equivalent wav24 and easily switch between the two.

I'd love this to available, but it doesn't detract from what is a fantastic product.

Thank you for all your hard work.
03-09-2015, 21:26
MinimServer isn't a file converter. There are other programs (for example, dBpoweramp, XLD and JRiver) that do a good job of file conversion.

Adding support for transcoding FLAC (etc.) to MP3 would be difficult and inefficient because of the need to support exact seeking within the transcoded stream. For example, if the renderer requests a seek to byte offset 12345678 in the transcoded MP3 stream, finding the corresponding byte offset within the original FLAC stream would require reading the complete MP3 output stream up to and including byte 12345678 to find the time/sample offset. If the output stream is WAV or LPCM, calculating the time/sample offset is simple and efficient and doesn't require reading the output stream.