Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Success with BBC streams!
16-04-2015, 10:10
RE: Success with BBC streams!
(15-04-2015 20:05)machare Wrote:  Thank you for your help. I had to use AAC rather than aac! My Naim eqipment now works fine, but my Roberts Stream 83i can see the Playlist but not the contents. Strange!

It makes no difference whether you specify aac or AAC.

I tried the aac (and AAC) setting with a Naim Uniti (original model) and neither of them works. To get the stream to play on the Uniti, I need to transcode it using *:L16. (This setting will not work if you have put aac or AAC in the .m3u file.)

Did the problem with the playlist on the Roberts start when you added aac (or AAC) to the .m3u file or do you see the same problem if this setting is omitted?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2015, 10:10
(15-04-2015 20:41)machare Wrote:  Ah, the URL in the .m3u file is:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/man...ourfm.m3u8

Mike

This is a 320 kbps stream.
16-04-2015, 11:38
Thanks your for your help.

(16-04-2015 10:10)simoncn Wrote:  It makes no difference whether you specify aac or AAC.

When I had [*R2] my Qute would not attempt to play the stream.

When I changed to [*R2;aac] the box attempted to play the stream and then failed. When I changed to [*R2;AAC] the stream started to play, but after reading your post I changed in back to [*R2;aac] and it still works! The Qute always displays AAC not aac which is why I made the change.

Quote:I tried the aac (and AAC) setting with a Naim Uniti (original model) and neither of them works. To get the stream to play on the Uniti, I need to transcode it using *:L16. (This setting will not work if you have put aac or AAC in the .m3u file.)

I have an early Uniti, ~Oct 2009 ( as well as the Qute), the firmware is quite up to date, maybe that is why aac and AAC both work. I could tell you the firmware version if that would help.

Quote:Did the problem with the playlist on the Roberts start when you added aac (or AAC) to the .m3u file or do you see the same problem if this setting is omitted?

The Roberts 'sees' the playlist but tells me it is empty. I think this has always been the case, but I have not tried it so often. It certainly happens with and without ;aac. The Roberts also does not like an & in the server name!
16-04-2015, 15:47
(16-04-2015 11:38)machare Wrote:  When I had [*R2] my Qute would not attempt to play the stream.

When I changed to [*R2;aac] the box attempted to play the stream and then failed. When I changed to [*R2;AAC] the stream started to play, but after reading your post I changed in back to [*R2;aac] and it still works! The Qute always displays AAC not aac which is why I made the change.

I think this was probably because you didn't do a MinimServer rescan and then refresh the control point container after you first made the change to [*R2;aac].

Quote:I have an early Uniti, ~Oct 2009 ( as well as the Qute), the firmware is quite up to date, maybe that is why aac and AAC both work. I could tell you the firmware version if that would help.

I would be interested to know your firmware version. I have firmware 3.22 installed on the Uniti.

Are you playing this stream on the Uniti using UPnP or are you using an added station in iRadio? I can make it work with the latter but not the former. When the stream is playing, it shows as 61kb/s.

Quote:The Roberts 'sees' the playlist but tells me it is empty. I think this has always been the case, but I have not tried it so often. It certainly happens with and without ;aac. The Roberts also does not like an & in the server name!

The Roberts seems to be unhappy with certain "special" characters. Perhaps it doesn't like one or more of the [ * ] characters in the playlist item name.
16-04-2015, 16:48
My Uniti is on firmware version 3.21

I can listen to the new BBC streams using both iRadio and UPnP. The iRadio is a bit clunky and switches the box to UPnP mode to stream the BBC stations from MinimServer. UPnP flashes on the screen when I select a station.

The proper UPnP method is much better, I can change station easily and it does show 61K AAC. My Qute is very much the same.
16-04-2015, 22:53
(16-04-2015 16:48)machare Wrote:  My Uniti is on firmware version 3.21

I can listen to the new BBC streams using both iRadio and UPnP. The iRadio is a bit clunky and switches the box to UPnP mode to stream the BBC stations from MinimServer. UPnP flashes on the screen when I select a station.

The proper UPnP method is much better, I can change station easily and it does show 61K AAC. My Qute is very much the same.

I have now been able to play the ";aac" version using UPnP from the remote control and from BubbleUPnP. For some reason, it will not play using UPnP from the Naim app on iOS. This is why my previous attempts were unsuccessful.