Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Transcoding HLS streams
05-04-2023, 11:11
RE: Transcoding HLS streams
Simon, apologies for not following the forum etiquette.

I tried an experiment this morning and now have my NP30 working with LPCM streams using the following

stream.transcode: aac:L16;44
stream.options: StreamSize=4GB

Will the steam size setting stop the stream after 4GB of data has been streamed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2023, 12:01
Well that's exciting, what led you to try that? I just looked back through our experiments and although we tried L16, we didn't in quite that way. The transcode and stream options you've described are working fine here too. I'm going out for the afternoon so I'll leave it running and see what I find when I get home.
05-04-2023, 12:23
Yes, the stream will stop after 4 GB of data. This is the size limit for WAV but not for L16. You should be able to use any streamSize value for L16.
05-04-2023, 12:30
I had tried the 'play list' approach to playing streams and saw the 'HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied' issue reported by others. I was looking at some of the streaming options this morning and saw that the stream size can be fixed. So, I thought I would give it a go.
05-04-2023, 12:32
Well that begs all kinds of questions. I'll try some other options when I get home, but are there any in particular you'd suggest, Simon?
05-04-2023, 14:17
I suggest setting stream.transcode to aac:L16 (without a sample rate) and streamSize to any large number that will be more than enough for a listening session.
05-04-2023, 14:34
I have removed the sample rate and set the StreamSize to 40GB which seems to work. The streams appear to default to 48kHz sample rate.
05-04-2023, 14:43
The default is to use the same sample rate as the original aac stream.
05-04-2023, 16:37 (This post was last modified: 06-04-2023 14:05 by FakePlasticDunk.)
I just tried using the same method to transcode the Radio Paradise flac stream to L16, adding *:L16 to the transcode line, but I'm still hitting the same snag as before I think - from what I can see in the log it looks like the stream might still be seen as content-type 'application/ogg', so is it still not being transcoded? I've properly stopped minimserver and started it again, and ogg isn't specified in the EXTINF line:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,[RP] Radio Paradise
http://stream.radioparadise.com/flac

The URL I'm using is

http://192.168.1.9:9790/minimstreamer/*/RP

Have I missed something?

Attached File(s)
.zip  MinimWatchLog (10).zip (Size: 7.11 KB / Downloads: 1)
05-04-2023, 18:15
(05-04-2023 12:30)amsub Wrote:  I had tried the 'play list' approach to playing streams and saw the 'HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied' issue reported by others. I was looking at some of the streaming options this morning and saw that the stream size can be fixed. So, I thought I would give it a go.

That was an inspired connection to make, whether they're related or not - it works like a dream, at least for the aac streams, and hopefully it will for the flac stream I've been trying to get to work too. I've specified a Very Large Number of gigabytes for StreamSize, which by my rough calculations leaves room for several days of uninterrupted streaming - should cover it, I'd have thought... Well done, and thank you!