• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC radio streams not working
21-02-2015, 10:55
RE: BBC radio streams not working
(21-02-2015 10:01)PhilD Wrote:  
(21-02-2015 00:33)Pastim Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 22:20)PhilD Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 10:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-02-2015 09:59)PhilD Wrote:  Good question, the clients are in different rooms so I only heard the i83 stuttering before stopping the stream. I'm currently at work so I'll try to recreate the problem tonight or over the weekend then report back.

Phil

Thanks very much!

I've had the chance to play now and managed to recreate the dropouts, making the following observations:

1) If I stream from the pi to either Logitech Media Server (LMS) or the i83 alone, everything works perfectly. I can monitor the buffer on the i83 and it remains full 99% of the time with only tiny dips from time to time.

2) If I stream to LMS then start streaming to the i83 I get frequent dropouts on the i83 but LMS continues to play perfectly. The buffer on the i83 constantly fluctuates, reaching 0 a couple of times per minute. If I stop streaming to LMS the i83 dropouts and buffer fluctuations continue.

3) If I stream to the i83 and then start streaming to LMS both play perfectly. The i83 buffer behaves the same as in scenario 1) above.

A final observation, both LMS and the i83 are a few seconds out of sync, with LMS leading.

Hope this is of some help in the diagnostics. Let me know if you'd like me to try anything else.

Thanks,

Phil
Sorry for butting in on this, but I am intrigued. When you say 'stream to LMS' are you somehow streaming from minimserver to LMS, and if so, how and to what end?

No need to apologise!

I'm typing the MinimsStream url into the 'Tune in URL' of LMS. The reason is primarily to test the suitability of MinimServer/Stream as a stop-gap for my retired parents. I previously set them up running LMS on a basic NAS and I don't think it will be easy to implement the ffmpeg/bpa plugin solution for them. As it turns out, I inadvertently uncovered this problem so thought it was worth reporting to the community.

Phil
Thanks. It just hadn't occurred to me that one could do this, but of course one can, and why not. I can see that for many people anything that keeps things simple and stable is sensible, and in this case particularly since NAS's have been giving grief with ffmpeg and LMS. A stable solution for ffmpeg with LMS may come in time, along with a way to 'listen again' once that has been defined. The Beeb will then change the plot to DASH, or whatever, and we'll go round again, with simoncn probably first out of the blocks with a simple and reliable solution Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC radio streams not working - Pastim - 21-02-2015 10:55