Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC radio streams not working
18-02-2015, 21:08 (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 21:17 by Cebolla.)
RE: BBC radio streams not working
(18-02-2015 08:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 00:28)Cebolla Wrote:  On a related theme, have you considered providing native support for Ogg FLAC network streams?

It's how I originally found that you could use MinimStreamer to transcode a network stream of a type it didn't recognise to wav, via FFmpeg, if you used the * unspecified type input. I'd previously used the standalone FFmpeg application and observed that it could decode the Ogg FLAC stream very simply, without any input parameters other than the URL. So I hoped that MinimStreamer might use FFmpeg in a similar way with the * input type and luckily seemed to do just that. I now had MinimServer providing my streamers with Ogg FLAC lossless internet radio services, transcoded to wav!

Hence, I tested the similar setup with the new BBC HLS AAC streams and on finding it successful reported my findings here on my first post in this thread.

Admittedly, there aren't that many Ogg FLAC internet radio streams out there. There's the handful or so Absolute Radio ones:
Absolute Radio Ogg FLAC radio stream URLs
However, the main reason for having a lossless internet radio stream, IMO, is for classical. The Czech Radio's D-Dur (D-Major) 16 bit/48kHz Ogg FLAC stream is probably the world's highest resolution classical internet radio service:
Czech Radio D-dur/Český rozhlas D-dur Ogg FLAC stream

Hopefully, your recent venture into the Ogg container for Vorbis coding format and the network stream work done in the last few days, will make my suggestion at least a possibilty.

As I understand it, you are able to play these streams using the '*' transcoding input type. What would be the benefit to users of adding native decoding?
Well, with respect much the same could be said with the native decoding of HLS AAC - except that you'd already started work on it before I mentioned discovering the '*' method for it!

The benefits I assume (or hope!) would be similar, ie:
ability to stream the original audio format carried by the network stream rather than PCM;
external decoder not required;
can be used with more than one streamer at the same time;
the record function saves the decoded format.

Incidentally, using the '*' transcoding input seems to override native decoding, so I can't currenly find a way of accessing Ogg FLAC network streams and have native HLS AAC decoding performed by the same MinimStreamer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC radio streams not working - Cebolla - 18-02-2015 21:08