Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC radio streams not working
17-02-2015, 21:38
RE: BBC radio streams not working
(17-02-2015 20:09)Cebolla Wrote:  
(16-02-2015 21:54)simoncn Wrote:  It seems that Naim streamers can't play ADTS AAC streams served by MinimServer. This might be caused by a MIME type mismatch but I can't find any information on this.
Simon,

My Pioneer N-50 & Denon DNP-F109 streamers have a similar problem with the ADTS AAC streams served by MinimServer over UPnP.

Both devices when used as DNPs don't even appear to react when the AAC stream is selected for immediate playback, with not even an error is reported. They remain on the track selection screen within the playlist, rather than move on to the now playing screen.

For both streamers, when used as DMRs with the BubbleUPnP control point, the DMC's UPnP Mime-type check has to be switched off, otherwise it immediately reports a "track is not playable: no compatible decoder found (try disabling the Mime-type check..." error when the AAC stream is selected to play.
With the controller's UPnP Mime-type check disabled, this time after a few seconds delay it reports an "illegal MIME-type(code 714)" error on playback, for both devices.
Interestingly, both streamers remain on standby with the Mime-type check enabled and come out of standby on play with it disabled. This would seem to imply that both control point and streamer are indepentally reporting a similar sort of error.

Could the issue be something as simple as the control point and/or streamers checking to see if the 'file's' extension matches the Mime-type and failing?
Given that UPnP/DLNA streaming is normally used for physical files, rather than network streams, it's possible that this may be a common check done by UPnP devices (maybe even more likely dictated by DLNA). I've noticed that you kept the original stream's 'file extension' as .m3u8 in MinimServer's URL for it. Could a simple name change to the URL by adding a '.aac' suffix, sort the problem out?

Incidentally, both the Pioneer & Denon streamers use vTuner. Using MinimServer's URL for the BBC stream as an added station in their vTuner accounts results in the radio station streaming properly on both devices! Sort of backs up the above theory, since network stream URLs don't even have to have a file suffix, making the actual file type vs file name extension check inapplicable for the devices' internet radio function.

John
And Marantz being a flavour of Denon it works on my M-CR603 streamer as well. Sadly not on my Musical Fidelity player. It's not impossible that the length of the URL could be an issue, since it does play from a local playlist containing the new BBC URLs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BBC radio streams not working - Pastim - 17-02-2015 21:38