Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching for an artist
07-01-2015, 13:27
Searching for an artist
Hi,

I run MinimServer on a Synology NAS and play music on a Linn Akurate DS.

I would like to ask about searching for an artist. It seems to find music by a particular artist I have to search the artist field and the all artists field. Is there an easy way to make searches for an artist cover both in one search?

Thank you.

Bob.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 15:28
RE: Searching for an artist
(07-01-2015 13:27)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Hi,

I run MinimServer on a Synology NAS and play music on a Linn Akurate DS.

I would like to ask about searching for an artist. It seems to find music by a particular artist I have to search the artist field and the all artists field. Is there an easy way to make searches for an artist cover both in one search?

Thank you.

Bob.

By searching, do you mean doing a UPnP Search (e.g., with Kazoo), or do you mean browsing the index and choosing the artist from a list?
07-01-2015, 15:51
Thanks for your help.

To be honest I think the question assumes knowledge I don't have. UPnP search?

Within Kinsky I can select artists or all artists and then type the name in the box at the top.
I was amazed the first time I tried all artists that it didn't find all the artists I also had to search artist, if that makes sense.

I'm sure other people will have a good reason for that separation but for my simple needs that subtlety escapes me and i'd like 'all' to mean all.

Thanks again.
07-01-2015, 16:15
(07-01-2015 15:51)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Thanks for your help.

To be honest I think the question assumes knowledge I don't have. UPnP search?

Within Kinsky I can select artists or all artists and then type the name in the box at the top.
I was amazed the first time I tried all artists that it didn't find all the artists I also had to search artist, if that makes sense.

I'm sure other people will have a good reason for that separation but for my simple needs that subtlety escapes me and i'd like 'all' to mean all.

Thanks again.

If you are doing this from Kinsky, this is a local search that searches only what is currently displayed by Kinsky. A UPnP Search is sent by the control point to the server and searches the complete library. For this, you would need to use Kazoo instead of Kinsky.

The All Artists index excludes AlbumArtist values and this is why Kinsky isn't finding some of your artists. The Artist index does include AlbumArtist values and this why you are finding the "missing" artists there.

To make your AlbumArtist values show up in the All Artists index (and be found by a Kinsky local search of the All Artists index), you have two options:

1) Add Artist tags for all your AlbumArtist values that don't currently have Artist tags

2) Use the MinimServer tagValue "default" option to make MinimServer create Artist values from your AlbumArtist tags if these Artist values aren't already tagged. In the tagValue property, you would enter:

Artist.default={AlbumArtist}

and then restart MinimServer.
07-01-2015, 17:56
Hi,

Thanks for that.

Don't fancy changing the tags much as I *think* they are reasonably correct and the amount of work would be huge.

Am I correct in thinking that both of your options would allow any artist who is either an album artist or a track artist to be found with a single search of all artists?

Assuming so I tried your option 2 but must have done something wrong as minimwatch went red and refused to restart giving me an out of bounds error.

What I did was:

Right button click the minimwatch icon on the w7 task bar.
Selected properties from the menu.
copy and paste
to the bottom line ie. tagValue.
clicked apply and OK.
Selected restart from the menu.

Icon goes red.
error message= unexpected exception java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException 8.

I was only able to clear the error by removing the new text.

Thanks again.

Bob.
07-01-2015, 18:14
(07-01-2015 17:56)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks for that.

Don't fancy changing the tags much as I *think* they are reasonably correct and the amount of work would be huge.

Am I correct in thinking that both of your options would allow any artist who is either an album artist or a track artist to be found with a single search of all artists?

Yes, that's right.

Quote:Assuming so I tried your option 2 but must have done something wrong as minimwatch went red and refused to restart giving me an out of bounds error.

What I did was:

Selected properties from the menu.
copy and paste
to the bottom line ie. tagValue.
clicked apply and OK.
Selected restart from the menu.

Icon goes red.
error message= unexpected exception java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException 8.

I was only able to clear the error by removing the new text.

Thanks again.

Bob.

This is a bug and I will fix it in the next update.

As a workaround, you can add AlbumArtist to itemTags. This is currently required to make option 2 work.

Thanks for helping me find this problem.
07-01-2015, 18:54 (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 18:54 by simoncn.)
(07-01-2015 18:14)simoncn Wrote:  This is a bug and I will fix it in the next update.

As a workaround, you can add AlbumArtist to itemTags. This is currently required to make option 2 work.

Thanks for helping me find this problem.

The fix will be to check that that AlbumArtist is present in either the itemTags or indexTags list and produce a "nice" error message if it isn't.
07-01-2015, 21:26
That's no longer crashing out now, thanks.

I'll try out searches over the next couple of days but it's looking good.

Thanks again.

Bob.
08-01-2015, 16:11
(07-01-2015 17:56)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Don't fancy changing the tags much as I *think* they are reasonably correct and the amount of work would be huge.

This is an understandable view, but it is not necessarily correct. With a grid-based tag editor (such as MP3Tag on Windows or Metadatics on the Mac), changes of the kind Simon suggested can be made in a very short time.

Here is an example, using MP3Tag. Suppose you have a music collection in which All AlbumArtist tags are populated but some Artist tags are empty. You want to copy the AlbumArtist names to the empty Artist tags, but leave the populated Artist tags alone.

Begin by using recursive selection (i.e. including sub-folders) to list in the grid as much of your music collection as you are comfortable with changing in one go. You can do the whole lot at once, though with a large collection things will get a bit slow. Then filter the list on 'Artist MISSING' to show only those tracks where the Artist tag is empty. Select the whole of the filtered list.

Using the 'Copy tag to tag' function, copy all AlbumArtist values to their respective Artist tags. Press the Save button to ensure that all the changes are saved. Job done. Repeat as necessary to work through your collection, which would have to be enormous for the whole job to take more than an hour or so.

David
08-01-2015, 16:42
(08-01-2015 16:11)DavidHB Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 17:56)mightyoakbob Wrote:  Don't fancy changing the tags much as I *think* they are reasonably correct and the amount of work would be huge.

This is an understandable view, but it is not necessarily correct. With a grid-based tag editor (such as MP3Tag on Windows or Metadatics on the Mac), changes of the kind Simon suggested can be made in a very short time.

Here is an example, using MP3Tag. Suppose you have a music collection in which All AlbumArtist tags are populated but some Artist tags are empty. You want to copy the AlbumArtist names to the empty Artist tags, but leave the populated Artist tags alone.

Begin by using recursive selection (i.e. including sub-folders) to list in the grid as much of your music collection as you are comfortable with changing in one go. You can do the whole lot at once, though with a large collection things will get a bit slow. Then filter the list on 'Artist MISSING' to show only those tracks where the Artist tag is empty. Select the whole of the filtered list.

Using the 'Copy tag to tag' function, copy all AlbumArtist values to their respective Artist tags. Press the Save button to ensure that all the changes are saved. Job done. Repeat as necessary to work through your collection, which would have to be enormous for the whole job to take more than an hour or so.

David

This is helpful guidance for implementing option 1.

Isn't it even simpler and quicker to set the MinimServer "default" option (option 2)? This also allows the user to check whether the change produces the desired result in terms of indexing and searching before making any modifications to the files.