Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is MinimServer capable to run on a Synology DSM 3.x device? (USB Station 2)
05-01-2015, 02:18 (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 02:57 by LarryJC.)
Is MinimServer capable to run on a Synology DSM 3.x device? (USB Station 2)
Hi all,

This is my 2nd post on this forum, I'm very happy to get to know this wonderful tool.

I'm currently using a HDD conected via USB to a Synology USB Station 2 running DSM 3.2-1983.

Would it be possible to run Minim on this device?

I'll upgrade to a proper NAS in the future, but by now this is what I have Smile!

Thanks and regards,

Larry

UPDATE:

Just found out there is an "alternative" firmware for the USB Station that allows to install IPKG package manager, so you can install additional software in top of the synology functionality... Would this be helpful to install Minim?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 08:24
RE: Is MinimServer capable to run on a Synology DSM 3.x device? (USB Station 2)
(05-01-2015 02:18)LarryJC Wrote:  Hi all,

This is my 2nd post on this forum, I'm very happy to get to know this wonderful tool.

I'm currently using a HDD conected via USB to a Synology USB Station 2 running DSM 3.2-1983.

Would it be possible to run Minim on this device?

I'll upgrade to a proper NAS in the future, but by now this is what I have Smile!

Thanks and regards,

Larry

You should be able to install Java and MinimServer on the USB Station 2 by following the instructions on this page for ARMv5 models. Please let me know how you get on with this.

Quote:UPDATE:

Just found out there is an "alternative" firmware for the USB Station that allows to install IPKG package manager, so you can install additional software in top of the synology functionality... Would this be helpful to install Minim?

It would be better to leave the firmware unchanged and install the Synology ARMv5 package.
06-01-2015, 04:14
Thanks for such a quick reply Simon,

(05-01-2015 08:24)simoncn Wrote:  You should be able to install Java and MinimServer on the USB Station 2 by following the instructions on this page for ARMv5 models. Please let me know how you get on with this.

Although the CPU of the USB Station is ARMv5, the DSM is 3.2 (not 5.x or higher) and it has limitations to install packages (actually there is no package manager in the GUI).

Anyway, I did download the Java package recommended but could not find a way to install it. I was about to try a CLI install by using Tar but I fell sleep Smile
Will try again tonight, but not sure if this is going to be possible (any suggestion here?)

Quote:It would be better to leave the firmware unchanged and install the Synology ARMv5 package.

My suggestion of changing firmware is due to the limitations quoted above in DSM 3.2 to install packages. Thanks anyway!
06-01-2015, 09:11
(06-01-2015 04:14)LarryJC Wrote:  Although the CPU of the USB Station is ARMv5, the DSM is 3.2 (not 5.x or higher) and it has limitations to install packages (actually there is no package manager in the GUI).

It appears that for some reason DSM 3.2 on the USB Station 2 doesn't include the Package Center (see this thread). There is a Package Center in DSM 3.2 for other Synology models.

Quote:Anyway, I did download the Java package recommended but could not find a way to install it. I was about to try a CLI install by using Tar but I fell sleep Smile
Will try again tonight, but not sure if this is going to be possible (any suggestion here?)

You would need to have a good knowledge of Linux and Synology DSM internals to successfully install Java and MinimServer in this way. I haven't attempted this myself.

Quote:My suggestion of changing firmware is due to the limitations quoted above in DSM 3.2 to install packages. Thanks anyway!

I don't think this would help because there isn't an ipkg version of MinimServer.