Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 14.10: Problems with MinimWatch 0.8.3
20-12-2014, 01:34 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 01:40 by alfreddo12.)
Ubuntu 14.10: Problems with MinimWatch 0.8.3
After having successfully upgraded minimserver and minimstreamer to the latest versions on my vortexbox, I uninstalled the existing minimwatch version and did a fresh install of version 0.8.3 on my notebook. When typing the setup command, I was informed that the desktop integration was not available.

The output of "minimwatch/bin/startc" is :
Code:
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Enter command (? for help), or null to exit:
Selected media server: MinimServer [VortexBox]
MinimServer [VortexBox] is running

Thus, minimwatch seems to be running. However, no minimwatch icon appears in the panel. Any ideas ?

Many thanks, alfreddo12

PS: The content of "minimwatch.log" is the following
Code:
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_65-b32)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Active subnet is 192.168.0.0
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2014, 07:45
RE: Ubuntu 14.10: Problems with MinimWatch 0.8.3
(20-12-2014 01:34)alfreddo12 Wrote:  After having successfully upgraded minimserver and minimstreamer to the latest versions on my vortexbox, I uninstalled the existing minimwatch version and did a fresh install of version 0.8.3 on my notebook. When typing the setup command, I was informed that the desktop integration was not available.

The output of "minimwatch/bin/startc" is :
Code:
Enter command (? for help), or null to exit:

Thus, minimwatch seems to be running. However, no minimwatch icon appears in the panel. Any ideas ?

Many thanks, alfreddo12

Which version of Linux are you running on your notebook? What is it using for the graphical desktop (e.g., Gnome, KDE, LXDE, Unity)?
20-12-2014, 09:05 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 11:42 by alfreddo12.)
Thank you, Simon.

Ubuntu 14.10 / Unity /64-bit

KR
alfreddo12

BTW: the previous version of minimwatch installed on my desktop computer (Ubuntu 14.04 / Unity / 64-bit) is still working fine (I shan't touch it - > see "EDIT" hereafter).

BTW2: I discovered another issue which seems to be vortexbox (i.e. fedora 20) related, see: http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/hel...sion-0-8-3

EDIT:
I could not resist and played around with my desktop computer, updated minimwtach to the current version, ran setup and opted for desktop integration and run at startup. After logging off and on, neither "[/home/USER/]minimwatch/bin/startc" nor [/home/USER/]minimwatch/bin/startd" nor double-clicking on the respective files in nautilus worked. Then I got aware of an apparently new file "starti; [/home/USER/]minimwatch/starti (or double-clicking the "starti" file) resulted in a lovely icon (see attachment).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

20-12-2014, 14:01
I am using Kubuntu 14/10 and also installed the latest minimwatch 0.8.3. When using "startd" the systray icon does not show up anymore. You have to run "starti" instead.

(When trying around with this I also run the "setup" command and choose "y" for desktop integration. Maybe this is required, too?)

But: minimwatch does not offer to update minimserver or minimstreamer to the latest versions. (This is why I updated minimwatch.) Choosing "Show Updates" in the about-requester tells me that all packages are uptodate!?

Currently running:
minimserver 0.8.1 update 42 on Synology NAS DS213+
MinimStreamer 0.4.3.

btw: Nice to see that you found the time to continue the development of minimserver. I am checking the release notes frequently as I am hoping for one special feature Wink
20-12-2014, 14:10
(20-12-2014 09:05)alfreddo12 Wrote:  Thank you, Simon.

Ubuntu 14.10 / Unity /64-bit

KR
alfreddo12

I have tested with 14.04 LTS but not with 14.10. I will try to test with 14.10 soon. I would appreciate any feedback from other users who have 14.10 installed.

Quote:BTW2: I discovered another issue which seems to be vortexbox (i.e. fedora 20) related, see: http://vortexbox.org/forum/vortexbox/hel...sion-0-8-3

I looked at this thread and it seems the problem was caused by not using the correct VortexBox installation procedure to install the new version of MinimServer.

Quote:EDIT:
I could not resist and played around with my desktop computer, updated minimwtach to the current version, ran setup and opted for desktop integration and run at startup. After logging off and on, neither "[/home/USER/]minimwatch/bin/startc" nor [/home/USER/]minimwatch/bin/startd" nor double-clicking on the respective files in nautilus worked. Then I got aware of an apparently new file "starti; [/home/USER/]minimwatch/starti (or double-clicking the "starti" file) resulted in a lovely icon (see attachment).

If you select desktop integration, you should see a MinimWatch launch icon on your desktop. Are you seeing this launch icon? This is the correct way to launch MinimWatch and get a system tray icon for managing MinimServer. See this section for details.

At present, double-clicking this icon runs the undocumented starti command that you have found but this could change in the future. The supported and recommended way to start MinimWatch is by double-clicking the MinimWatch desktop launch icon.
20-12-2014, 15:13
(20-12-2014 14:01)tarnkappe Wrote:  I am using Kubuntu 14/10 and also installed the latest minimwatch 0.8.3. When using "startd" the systray icon does not show up anymore. You have to run "starti" instead.

(When trying around with this I also run the "setup" command and choose "y" for desktop integration. Maybe this is required, too?)

If you select desktop integration, you should see a MinimWatch launch icon on your desktop. You should double-click this launch icon instead of running startd or starti. Are you seeing this launch icon?

Quote:But: minimwatch does not offer to update minimserver or minimstreamer to the latest versions. (This is why I updated minimwatch.) Choosing "Show Updates" in the about-requester tells me that all packages are uptodate!?

Currently running:
minimserver 0.8.1 update 42 on Synology NAS DS213+
MinimStreamer 0.4.3.

btw: Nice to see that you found the time to continue the development of minimserver. I am checking the release notes frequently as I am hoping for one special feature Wink

There will be no more updates for MinimServer 0.8.1. To get updates for MinimServer, you need to install MinimServer 0.8.3 on your Synology as described on this page.
20-12-2014, 15:53
Well, I now have read the minimwatch install instructions Wink Yes, everything works as mentioned. Starting the Desktop-minimwatch-Icon brings up the systray icon of minimwatch and I can interact with it.

regarding he server upgrade: Ok, I will check this out. It is uncommon that a minor version upgrade requires a manuall reinstallation, so I thought it would happen automatically as with the last updates.

Thank you
Gert
20-12-2014, 16:24
(20-12-2014 15:53)tarnkappe Wrote:  Well, I now have read the minimwatch install instructions Wink Yes, everything works as mentioned. Starting the Desktop-minimwatch-Icon brings up the systray icon of minimwatch and I can interact with it.

Thanks for confirming this. Smile

Quote:regarding he server upgrade: Ok, I will check this out. It is uncommon that a minor version upgrade requires a manuall reinstallation, so I thought it would happen automatically as with the last updates.

Thank you
Gert

All MinimServer and MinimWatch releases (minor and major) require a reinstallation. This is the main difference between a release and an update.
20-12-2014, 18:21
Re Post # 5

Quote:If you select desktop integration, you should see a MinimWatch launch icon on your desktop. Are you seeing this launch icon? This is the correct way to launch MinimWatch and get a system tray icon for managing MinimServer. See this section for details.

At present, double-clicking this icon runs the undocumented starti command that you have found but this could change in the future. The supported and recommended way to start MinimWatch is by double-clicking the MinimWatch desktop launch icon.

On my notebook (Ubuntu 14.10/Unity), desktop integration was declared to be "not available" (-> no desktop icon was created). I opted for "minimwatch automatic startup" at setup, but this was lost after a reboot (message: "not activated"). The incorrect use of the starti command was the only way to not only start minimwatch, but also to have the coloured icon in the panel.

On my desktop computer (Ubuntu 14.04/Unity) desktop integration was available. I thus opted for it aand also chose "minimwatch automatic startup". However, no desktop icon was created. After logoff/login, I used "starti" to check the configuration of my minimserver. OTH, I did not reboot the computer. Now, upon a reboot, the minimwatch icon is in the panel, but there is still no desktop icon (I could create one myself, but this is would not be lege artis).

KR alfreddo12
20-12-2014, 19:40 (This post was last modified: 20-12-2014 19:41 by simoncn.)
(20-12-2014 18:21)alfreddo12 Wrote:  On my desktop computer (Ubuntu 14.04/Unity) desktop integration was available. I thus opted for it aand also chose "minimwatch automatic startup". However, no desktop icon was created. After logoff/login, I used "starti" to check the configuration of my minimserver. OTH, I did not reboot the computer. Now, upon a reboot, the minimwatch icon is in the panel, but there is still no desktop icon (I could create one myself, but this is would not be lege artis).

KR alfreddo12

On Ubuntu 14.04/Unity:
Are you running setup as root/sudo or as a regular user? You should be running it as a regular user.

If you run setup now (as a regular user), does it say that desktop integration is enabled or disabled?

If desktop integration is showing as enabled and you are running setup as the same user that you use to login to the desktop, I can't see how the launch icon would not be showing. To check whether or not desktop integration is enabled, setup looks for the existence of the launch icon. The file it looks for is ~/Desktop/minimwatch.desktop.

I have tested this on Ubuntu 14.04/Unity and confirmed that it works as described above.