Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimStreamer 0.5 is now available
15-12-2014, 00:53
MinimStreamer 0.5 is now available
MinimStreamer 0.5 has been released. For details of the changes, see the Release notes page.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2014, 16:47
RE: MinimStreamer 0.5 is now available
(15-12-2014 00:53)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer 0.5 has been released. For details of the changes, see the Release notes page.

Hi,

Where do I download this from as I can't find it on your site? I have a QNAP TS-131 NAS.

Thanks

Paul
31-12-2014, 17:16
(31-12-2014 16:47)paulebarrow Wrote:  Hi,

Where do I download this from as I can't find it on your site? I have a QNAP TS-131 NAS.

Thanks

Paul

See this page.
11-01-2015, 17:54
(15-12-2014 00:53)simoncn Wrote:  MinimStreamer 0.5 has been released. For details of the changes, see the Release notes page.

First I want to congratulate you on such superb software. I'm a newish user and it's been a delight to return to MinimServer after several weeks away from home. I've now had a chance to install MinimStreamer on my old QNAP TS-109 and am bowled over by the design and ease of implementation, allowing the process to be initiated and managed through MinimWatch running on my Ubuntu pc; it couldn't have been simpler. I shall certainly be donating in the near future.

A couple of things have not been quite what I expected, though, and I'm curious as to why.
First, I was surprised to be offered only version 0.4.[8.3?] of MinimStreamer when I went to install it yesterday. I figured this may be due to limitations in the QNAP, but checking through your intallation guides I realised I needed to update the JRE_ARM qpkg to v 8.0.1, having done which I was able to update MinimServer to the latest version. Great! I expected then to find MinimStreamer 0.5 perhaps listed as available, but to my suprise when I checked in the Packages tab I saw that it is already installed and running without further action on my part. I notice that in the System tab of the properties pane .auto-update is set to "true", so does this govern the behaviour of both MinimServer and MinimStreamer? Ie, providing the host system is running the requisite java etc, both programmes will update as and when new versions become available?

The other thing that puzzles me is that having set up a playlist for internet radio stations, following your guide and the relevant follow-up discussion on this forum, only one of the two versions of named stations will play. Fortunately it's the first one, that utilises MinimStreamer, but I'm puzzled as to why the one that should play direct from MinimServer doesn't seem to work. (Using BubbleUPnP on Android as a controller and Volumio on RaspberryPi B+ / Hifiberry+ as renderer.)
11-01-2015, 18:18
(11-01-2015 17:54)nickc Wrote:  First I want to congratulate you on such superb software. I'm a newish user and it's been a delight to return to MinimServer after several weeks away from home. I've now had a chance to install MinimStreamer on my old QNAP TS-109 and am bowled over by the design and ease of implementation, allowing the process to be initiated and managed through MinimWatch running on my Ubuntu pc; it couldn't have been simpler. I shall certainly be donating in the near future.

Thanks very much!

Quote:A couple of things have not been quite what I expected, though, and I'm curious as to why.
First, I was surprised to be offered only version 0.4.[8.3?] of MinimStreamer when I went to install it yesterday. I figured this may be due to limitations in the QNAP, but checking through your intallation guides I realised I needed to update the JRE_ARM qpkg to v 8.0.1, having done which I was able to update MinimServer to the latest version. Great!

MinimStreamer 0.5 requires MinimServer 0.8.3. Also, both MinimStreamer 0.5 and MinimServer 0.8.3 require Java 7 or later. You can't install MinimStreamer 0.5 unless you already have Java 7 or later and MinimServer 0.8.3 installed.

Quote: I expected then to find MinimStreamer 0.5 perhaps listed as available, but to my suprise when I checked in the Packages tab I saw that it is already installed and running without further action on my part. I notice that in the System tab of the properties pane .auto-update is set to "true", so does this govern the behaviour of both MinimServer and MinimStreamer? Ie, providing the host system is running the requisite java etc, both programmes will update as and when new versions become available?

Your assumption is correct. The .autoUpdate property controls the update behaviour for all installed packages, not just MinimServer.

Quote:The other thing that puzzles me is that having set up a playlist for internet radio stations, following your guide and the relevant follow-up discussion on this forum, only one of the two versions of named stations will play. Fortunately it's the first one, that utilises MinimStreamer, but I'm puzzled as to why the one that should play direct from MinimServer doesn't seem to work. (Using BubbleUPnP on Android as a controller and Volumio on RaspberryPi B+ / Hifiberry+ as renderer.)

When you use the MinimServer version of the stream, the renderer is communicating directly with the stream URL. If the URL resource is a .m3u or .pls file, some renderers can't handle this because they are expecting an audio stream.

When you use the MinimStreamer version of the stream, the renderer is communicating with MinimStreamer and MinimStreamer is communicating with the stream URL. MinimStreamer reads the .m3u or .pls file to locate the audio stream and sends the audio stream to the renderer.

If you would like to post your playlist entry for this station, I will investigate further.
11-01-2015, 21:17
Thanks for explaining this.

"If you would like to post your playlist entry for this station, I will investigate further."

Actually I've been using the playlist posted by largestgasman and editied by you (#22 here: http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...330&page=3) so as to be sure the playlist was in correct format. My main interest is with BBC radio 3, but I've tried several of the stations and all only play from the first entry. Maybe Volumio is one of those renderers you refer to which like to have an actual stream presented to them?
11-01-2015, 21:41
(11-01-2015 21:17)nickc Wrote:  Thanks for explaining this.

"If you would like to post your playlist entry for this station, I will investigate further."

Actually I've been using the playlist posted by largestgasman and editied by you (#22 here: http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...330&page=3) so as to be sure the playlist was in correct format. My main interest is with BBC radio 3, but I've tried several of the stations and all only play from the first entry. Maybe Volumio is one of those renderers you refer to which like to have an actual stream presented to them?

You could try adding a stream type to see if this helps:

#EXTINF:-1,[BBC3;aac] BBC Radio 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls

If this doesn't solve the problem, you will need to use the MinimStreamer version of the stream. To avoid confusion, you can hide the MinimServer version of the stream by using the '*' prefix, as follows:

#EXTINF:-1,[*BBC3] BBC Radio 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r3_aaclca.pls
12-01-2015, 09:12
No, adding the stream type doesn't help. But it's not an issue since I prefer using MinimStreamer anyway; I was simply curious, wanting to understand better how it all works! I shall add the asterisks to tidy up the interface and go on enjoying the benefits of such excellent streaming software. Many thanks for your help.