Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer 0.8.3 is now available
15-12-2014, 00:52
MinimServer 0.8.3 is now available
MinimServer 0.8.3 and MinimWatch 0.8.3 are available for download from this page. For full details of the changes in this release, see the Release notes page.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2014, 02:35 (This post was last modified: 15-12-2014 04:35 by InfernoSTi.)
RE: MinimServer 0.8.3 is now available
(15-12-2014 00:52)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer 0.8.3 and MinimWatch 0.8.3 are available for download from this page. For full details of the changes in this release, see the Release notes page.

Simon,

Is there a particular way that this should be installed? I ran the install from my NAS and it was up and running but when I got my log, I had a ton of errors. I was surprised since I had just this weekend cleaned up all my errors from 0.8.2 and now it was stuck. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled 0.8.2.

Any ideas? I was running great until I tried to upgrade to 0.8.3 (and I'm fine again after restoring to 0.8.2).

John

FOLLOW UP CORRECTIONS TO MY POST:

I reinstalled 0.8.3 (both on the NAS and MinimWatch). Remember, I had no error messages with 0.8.2 (both before and after re-installing). Now I have these type error messages (and lots of them):

MinimServer 0.8.3 update 50, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_06-b23)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 25.6-b23, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Language setting is 'enu'
starting MinimServer[MusicNAS]
Warning: illegal character in INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag value in file 1 Hi Rez/Jazz/Nina Simone/Little Girl Blue/01 - Mood indigo - Mood Indigo.flac (length 94327096)
Warning: illegal character in INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag value in file 1 Hi Rez/Jazz/Nina Simone/Little Girl Blue/01 - Mood indigo - Mood Indigo.flac (length 94327096)
Warning: illegal character in INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag value in file 1 Hi Rez/Jazz/Nina Simone/Little Girl Blue/02 - Don-t Smoke In Bed.flac (length 67696456)
Warning: illegal character in INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag value in file 1 Hi Rez/Jazz/Nina Simone/Little Girl Blue/02 - Don-t Smoke In Bed.flac (length 67696456)

Etc.... (please note that the same file/same error was listed multiple times in the log)

As well as:

Warning: illegal character in ORIGDATE tag value in file 1 Hi Rez/Jazz/João GilbertoStan Getz/GetzGilberto/1-The Girl From Ipanema.flac (length 114404136)

Etc....

Warning: ID3v2 APIC frame value contains illegal character at offset 55190000 in file 1 Hi Rez/Rock_Blues_Country/London Grammar/If You Wait/01-01-London_Grammar-Hey_Now-SMR.aif (length 55244510)

Error: ID3v2 'ÿPic' frame has invalid size 1953854053 at offset 55190027 in file 1 Hi Rez/Rock_Blues_Country/London Grammar/If You Wait/01-01-London_Grammar-Hey_Now-SMR.aif (length 55244510)

Etc...

I did give it a lot more time and it is now "not yellow" and runs fine. I am happy to correct tagging/file issues. It's just odd that they show up in this version and not in the previous one.

I've fixed the tagging errors but I don't know what the "Warning: ID3v2 APIC" and "Error: ID3v2 'ÿPic'" messages want me to correct.

John

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

15-12-2014, 02:42
Thank you, Simon.

If you don't mind, I'd like to draw attention to the points that
  1. as this is a new 'point' release, re-installation is required; the benefit to the user is the new, even smoother updating mechanism (nice!);
  2. Java 7 or 8 is required for this release, so Java 6 users will need to update Java as well (I needed to do this, as there is no auto updating mechanism for Java on my NAS);
  3. MinimWatch also needs to be updated to 0.8.3.
I know that all these points are covered in the release notes, but we users are an impatient lot and sometimes reading the release notes can seem like sooooooo much trouble ...

David
15-12-2014, 09:06
(15-12-2014 02:42)DavidHB Wrote:  Thank you, Simon.

If you don't mind, I'd like to draw attention to the points that
  1. as this is a new 'point' release, re-installation is required; the benefit to the user is the new, even smoother updating mechanism (nice!);
  2. Java 7 or 8 is required for this release, so Java 6 users will need to update Java as well (I needed to do this, as there is no auto updating mechanism for Java on my NAS);
  3. MinimWatch also needs to be updated to 0.8.3.
I know that all these points are covered in the release notes, but we users are an impatient lot and sometimes reading the release notes can seem like sooooooo much trouble ...

David

This information is intentionally in the release notes in order to encourage people to read the release notes and get the full picture. Smile

It should not be necessary to update both MinimWatch and MinimServer to 0.8.3 at the same time as you have suggested. Did you experience problems when updating MinimServer without updating MinimWatch, or vice versa?
15-12-2014, 09:32
(15-12-2014 02:35)InfernoSTi Wrote:  I did give it a lot more time and it is now "not yellow" and runs fine. I am happy to correct tagging/file issues. It's just odd that they show up in this version and not in the previous one.

I've fixed the tagging errors but I don't know what the "Warning: ID3v2 APIC" and "Error: ID3v2 'ÿPic'" messages want me to correct.

John

In 0.8.2, there was a check for NUL (0x00) characters in tag values. These values are illegal because the UPnP protocol doesn't allow them to be sent to the control point. If a NUL character was found, it was removed from the tag value and a warning messge was shown in the log.

A problem was reported recently with other illegal characters such as 0x02 (see this post). MinimServer 0.8.3 checks for these characters as well. Unlike 0.8.2, it doesn't remove them from the tag value but instead ignores the tag value. This is a warning rather than an error, so the file is added to the library without the faulty tags.

It is possible that the code in MinimServer 0.8.3 that does this checking might be incorrectly detecting a problem even though the file is OK. When you looked at the INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST and ORIGDATE tags in the listed files, did you find anything that looked like an illegal character?

The APIC frame is "attached picture" (cover art). There is no frame named "ÿPic" and I suspect this file is corrupt in some way. Please upload this file to my FTP server so that I can take a look at it. I will send you a PM with the server details.
15-12-2014, 13:50
(15-12-2014 09:06)simoncn Wrote:  This information is intentionally in the release notes in order to encourage people to read the release notes and get the full picture. Smile

... but in the real world, as you surely know, it is impossible to make things foolproof, because fools are so clever Smile

(15-12-2014 09:06)simoncn Wrote:  It should not be necessary to update both MinimWatch and MinimServer to 0.8.3 at the same time as you have suggested. Did you experience problems when updating MinimServer without updating MinimWatch, or vice versa?

No, but the sequence I followed would probably not have picked up any issues. I stopped MinimServer on the NAS before doing all the work on the PC (including getting the downloads for the NAS). So, when I installed MinimWatch 0.8.3 on the PC, all I expected and got initially was the grey icon. Updating Java and MinimServer on the NAS, thanks to your excellent instructions, went without a hitch (except that I hate the confusing and bureaucratic Oracle site with a passion), and MinimWatch happily picked up the new installation.

I mistakenly thought that MinimWatch 0.8.3 would be required to support the new MinimServer auto-update. But if you are updating the one, it surely makes general sense to update the other one as well?

David
15-12-2014, 14:33
(15-12-2014 00:52)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer 0.8.3 and MinimWatch 0.8.3 are available for download from this page. For full details of the changes in this release, see the Release notes page.

Hi Simon. Nice to see a new update, anyway i was wating and hoped the feature of displaying "publisher" on tab playing now on bubbleupnp could be added.

Good job btw.
I hope you can add this feature next time.

Have a nice day

Reagards Meffy
15-12-2014, 17:32
I ran into the same issue as InfernoST after upgrading to 8.3. The log now shows many entries such as

Warning: illegal characer in INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag value in file [filename]

It's always the INVOLVED_PEOPLE_LIST tag, which I believe is an ID3 tag. I use FLAC tags exclusively, so these were put in by the company that prepared the file for download. I looked at the tags in mp3tag, and it appears that these illegal characters are a separator between items. For instance, I see "composerLSibelius, Jean" where the L that I typed here appears as a raised character that looks vaguely like an L but with a shorter bottom bar. When I copy this character in mp3tag and paste it into Notepad, it comes out looking like # . I have tried to identify this Unicode character without success.

I can change the tagging, but since I know nothing about MP3 tags I want to use the correct separator between function and name. Does anyone know what character I should use here that is both legal in the UPnP spec and functional in the ID3 scheme of things?

Thanks - David
15-12-2014, 18:11
@magister

If you are only using FLAC files, you should be tagging them in the format native to FLAC, which is Vorbis rather than ID3. I understand that the files can actually contain tags in both formats, but that this confuses some software, and leads to uncertainties as to which tag is actually being amended.

It is probably best not to target the separator as such, but to use software that writes the whole set of tags correctly. (Incidentally, there is a confusion of terminology here. Sometimes, as in MP3Tag for example, the term 'tag' is used to refer to the whole set of data in a file (corresponding to a record in a database), while more usually the term refers to a single data item (analogous to an individual field within the record).)

Have you used MP3Tag to re-write your tags? It is possible that by editing and saving, the tags will be written in the correct format. I believe that the tags are all re-saved together, so putting a dummy value in a tag you don't use, or otherwise making an edit of no consequence, might do the trick.

Another approach is to use a program such as the dBpoweramp batch converter to 'convert' the files to the same format in a different target folder. Again this will re-write the tag data, hopefully in a compliant format.

Presumably, once the files are compliant, they will not generate errors in MinimServer 0.8.3. I too use FLAC exclusively in my primary music library, and have had no errors.

David
15-12-2014, 18:31
(15-12-2014 13:50)DavidHB Wrote:  I mistakenly thought that MinimWatch 0.8.3 would be required to support the new MinimServer auto-update. But if you are updating the one, it surely makes general sense to update the other one as well?

David

It makes sense, but it isn't required. The new automatic update is performed by MinimServer alone (if it has an internet connection), not by a combination of MinimWatch and MinimServer as is done for the prompted update.