Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
07-06-2019, 19:31 (This post was last modified: 07-06-2019 19:35 by BB1.)
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(06-06-2019 16:22)Peter@57m Wrote:  06. June 2019
Firmware Ver 3.91 for N1, Ver 1.03 for N10/N100

Fix "PC incompatible characters"
There are some cases the music files, imported by CD, USB memory, USB HDD into Music Library, has name that PC cannot show by SMB sharing.
Newly added feature fixes this kind of incompatible characters from front display menu. This feature is just to fix name, but not effect to the music data.

Background information:
Depending on the file system in use, certain characters are illegal for file names. Eg. a question mark is illegal in NTFS, but perfectly legal in macOS extended. SMB sharing is the only way to browse the files present on the Melco.

If importing a track containing an illegal character (eg. "08 - Where Are You Tonight?.flac") by USB with v3.80 or v3.81, it was shown as eg. "0OAD6V~W" if browsing the Melco’s files on a Mac via SMB. Not very convenient, if you are searching for the track on the Melco for correcting tags ore any other file oriented action. Hence I’d reported this issue to Melco.

With v.3.90 things became worse. If importing the very same file via USB in this version, it was invisible, i.e. it couldn’t be edited, moved or deleted at all. In order to get access to the file I had to downgrade the firmware.

In v3.91 a workaround has been implemented (I wouldn’t call it a fix). By manually selecting "Support -> PC-incompatible characters" the question mark gets replaced by an underscore. I've suggested to Melco, that this replacement should happen automatically on import.

It also worth to note that there is no issue if you copy a file with a question mark in its file name via SMB to the Melco (from a Mac, of cause). What worries me are the different results for different ways of importing. Depending on the firmware and source it might result in "working as it should", annoying behavior or total failure.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2019, 16:50
Downloading FW version 3.91 from Melco download page, I get a file strangely named N10_N100_FW1.03.zip

Can it be FW 3.91 for Melco N1 ??
29-06-2019, 18:49
From the name of this file, it seems that it is firmware for the N10 and N100, not the N1.
30-06-2019, 08:22
Why not update directly from the Melco N1; no need to download the file manually from the site?
07-07-2019, 15:21
On my N1ZH unit the automatic update doesn’t make it but through the menu “from internet” all fine.
02-12-2019, 18:37
(28-04-2019 20:40)simoncn Wrote:  I am using a dCS Rossini DAC and in my opinion it is far ahead of my Linn KDS/1 in sound quality. Vitus is a new name to me and I am interested to hear about it.

The improvement from using the Melco was clear with my KDS/1. I have heard that it doesn't make as much difference when used with the KDS Katalyst. Your Russ Andrews power supply could also be having an effect.

I have put SSDs in my Melcos (I have an N1Z and an N1A) to eliminate the HDD noise and reduce power consumption. I also found the sound was improved but this required two attempts at choosing a suitable SSD model.

You will not get the full benefits of the Melco if you use a NAS to store your files. I use my N1A to store my files and my N1Z as a transport for the DAC. After trying many different combinations, I have found this produces the best sound.

Important disclaimer: all my above comments on sound quality are my subjective impressions of how things sound with my ears, my music, my setup and my listening space. Other listeners might reach different conclusions and there is no "right" or "wrong" here.

Hello
Can you tell us more about convenient SSD ?
Any brand can be suitable ? Only some ?... Many thanks for your help
Frederic
02-12-2019, 19:18
The Crucial MX500 is a good choice.
11-12-2019, 13:57
I know it's not an entirely on topic question but if I wanted to add HD movies rips of operas to store on my Melco (a 2x3Tb as 6Tb HD) does anyone in this forum know if the Melco disk format would be happy with 20+Gb video files being copied to it - or is there an upper file size limit?
David
11-12-2019, 23:45
If the disk was formatted using firmware 3.80 or later, the maximum size for a file is 16TB.
12-12-2019, 00:13
Many thanks for a definitive answer Simon. I'll give it a try.
David