Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
27-04-2019, 23:19
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(27-04-2019 17:08)simoncn Wrote:  The LAN player port and USB output port both produce excellent sound quality. Which is better will depend on the DAC you are using. In my setup with a DAC that has both USB and LAN inputs, the USB output sounds better (but only when using a good USB cable).

Out of curiosity, what are you using? I had a Vitus RD-101 on loan recently, much cheaper than the new price of my Linn Katalyst KDS, and the Vitus gave the Linn quite a kicking - just so much more analogue. I have heard the Vitus Signature at a dealer, similar price to the Linn, and the Vitus Signature DAC is so far ahead of Linn it's hard to believe.

I borrowed a Melco N1Z today and it's an immediate non-starter due to the whirring noise of the drives. Also, almost no improvement in sound at all in my system. Perhaps that's my ears, or the Russ Andrews power supply on my network switch, or Linn having designed a really good pre-DAC stage on the Katalyst KDS. But the improvement was negligible. I'm more interested in Melco as a transport for a USB DAC to replace the KDS (with which I've never really fallen for), and ideally Melco would do a transport-only box (I'm just not interested in setting up yet another storage platform, I already have two NAS units taking care of all media duties in the house). An alternative seems to be the Lumin U1 Mini, potentially good value if it's compatible with a wide range of DACs. So Lumin is probably my next lead to explore.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2019, 20:40
I am using a dCS Rossini DAC and in my opinion it is far ahead of my Linn KDS/1 in sound quality. Vitus is a new name to me and I am interested to hear about it.

The improvement from using the Melco was clear with my KDS/1. I have heard that it doesn't make as much difference when used with the KDS Katalyst. Your Russ Andrews power supply could also be having an effect.

I have put SSDs in my Melcos (I have an N1Z and an N1A) to eliminate the HDD noise and reduce power consumption. I also found the sound was improved but this required two attempts at choosing a suitable SSD model.

You will not get the full benefits of the Melco if you use a NAS to store your files. I use my N1A to store my files and my N1Z as a transport for the DAC. After trying many different combinations, I have found this produces the best sound.

Important disclaimer: all my above comments on sound quality are my subjective impressions of how things sound with my ears, my music, my setup and my listening space. Other listeners might reach different conclusions and there is no "right" or "wrong" here.
29-04-2019, 18:02
Vitus is a Danish company, they make some pretty exotic stuff. Entry level is Reference range, then Signature, Masterpiece and a money-no-object level beyond that.

Some dealers move Naim customers over to Vitus if they are fed up with the box count and noisy transformers while also wanting more refinement or an upgrade path that does not involve Statement. And their kit is so much more involving than Linn's. I run the RI-101 integrated amp and it's a superb one-box amp (it's a slightly large box though). And despite the big transformer inside, it is way quieter than the Naim rig I once ran for a few months, it's silent.

I agree with you that one can do much better than a KDS, I'd argue you can do better for less money, and for the same money you can get a long way ahead. And now that Linn have discontinued the DS range I think they have gifted a segment of the market to the competition as Linn is so system-level now.

Vitus are new to standalone streamers though a module has been available for their amps before. The RD-101 is a streamer/DAC that came out last year, and unlike my KDS it produces engaging music. At Signature level there is a DAC/CD combo that is also available in DAC-only form, though I've heard a rumour that a streamer version of the Signature DAC is coming soon. Similar ballpark in price probably to the Rossini.

Only thing that's poor with Vitus at present is their website. Hopefully they'll fix that as some product info is out of date.
01-05-2019, 08:05 (This post was last modified: 02-05-2019 21:12 by beckphotonik.)
(27-04-2019 23:19)ac16161 Wrote:  I borrowed a Melco N1Z today and it's an immediate non-starter due to the whirring noise of the drives.

Incidentally I had noisy hard drives on my N1ZH/2 when I purchased it, I complained to Melco and they changed them. Drive noise is now inaudible.

For the record I use my Melco to drive a Chord M Scaler/DAVE combo via USB. Very impressive IMHO.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
23-05-2019, 17:51
I have melco n10 on loan for few days and it is showing system software version 1.02 - I cannot load minimserver using the N10 configuration files? Any ideas. Thanks
23-05-2019, 20:16
Are you using the correct download for the N100/N10? What do you see in the minimsetup.log. minimserver-init.log, minimserver.log and minimserver-out.log files (see point 18 of this section).
24-05-2019, 11:58
(23-05-2019 20:16)simoncn Wrote:  Are you using the correct download for the N100/N10? What do you see in the minimsetup.log. minimserver-init.log, minimserver.log and minimserver-out.log files (see point 18 of this section).
Thanks Simon, was using right file but did not follow script exactly. All sorted now.
06-06-2019, 13:41
New firmware out today. Haven't explored it yet.

Donuk beautiful downtown York
06-06-2019, 16:22
06. June 2019
Firmware Ver 3.91 for N1, Ver 1.03 for N10/N100

Melco N1 firmware Ver 3.91 and N10/N100 firmware Ver 1.03 are released on 6th June.

Markerless DSD
Newly added Markerless DSD compatible USB-DAC. For example, NAGRA TUBE DAC, New T+A devices etc.

Fix "PC incompatible characters"
There are some cases the music files, imported by CD, USB memory, USB HDD into Music Library, has name that PC cannot show by SMB sharing.
Newly added feature fixes this kind of incompatible characters from front display menu. This feature is just to fix name, but not effect to the music data.

CD import
Even though CD music data is successfully imported , in some cases, it causes error because of special characters are used in meta data which is attached during CD import.
New CD import feature solves this problem.

Other
Behavior of stopping dark mode was improved.
Improved display showing playback source icon.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
07-06-2019, 09:59
Firmware v3.91, like its predecessor v.3.90 still truncates wav files over 2GB (16m 54s DXD) when played via a directly connected USB DAC, v3.8 was fine in this regard. Melco have been informed. If any forum member who uses the Melco ethernet interface could check this it would be appreciated as the problem does not appear if tracks are played via AirPlay, so it may be a USB issue.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors