Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
30-09-2016, 22:07
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(30-09-2016 20:54)malkit Wrote:  Is anyone out there using another server to back up there melco's share folder?
I've been very laboriously populating my melco's library from a 1tb plus iTunes library folder by folder correcting tagging errors and adding missing artwork etc it's taken so much work already (and I'm only up to L) i really need to start backing it up.
Ideally i'd like to set up an automated backup direct from the melco to my Synology nas, does anyone know if this can be done.
I'm Hoping that there might be a straightforward package that can be installed on the Synology that will see shared folders on the network and back them up, any ideas?

Backups are good.

I maintain my master copy on a QNAP from my windows PC. I then use SyncToy to copy anything new or changed to the Melco. If you have a PC and have the Synology and the Melco mapped as network drives, you could setup up a folder on the Synology to be an ECHO of the Melco. So it only copies things that are new or changed. So in your case the Melco is the master.

It is not automatic but I just run it when I've been doing some work on the "master" copy.

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2016, 06:30
(30-09-2016 22:07)Peter@57m Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 20:54)malkit Wrote:  Is anyone out there using another server to back up there melco's share folder?
I've been very laboriously populating my melco's library from a 1tb plus iTunes library folder by folder correcting tagging errors and adding missing artwork etc it's taken so much work already (and I'm only up to L) i really need to start backing it up.
Ideally i'd like to set up an automated backup direct from the melco to my Synology nas, does anyone know if this can be done.
I'm Hoping that there might be a straightforward package that can be installed on the Synology that will see shared folders on the network and back them up, any ideas?

Backups are good.

I maintain my master copy on a QNAP from my windows PC. I then use SyncToy to copy anything new or changed to the Melco. If you have a PC and have the Synology and the Melco mapped as network drives, you could setup up a folder on the Synology to be an ECHO of the Melco. So it only copies things that are new or changed. So in your case the Melco is the master.

It is not automatic but I just run it when I've been doing some work on the "master" copy.

I was really looking for a setup and forget solution than avoids the need for the computer at all as copying folders from one server to the other via my mac has given me incredibly slow file transfer speeds so far.
As both servers are on the same gb lan network I just feel there must be a more efficient automated way of achieving this.

Matthew
01-10-2016, 07:42
(01-10-2016 06:30)malkit Wrote:  I was really looking for a setup and forget solution than avoids the need for the computer at all as copying folders from one server to the other via my mac has given me incredibly slow file transfer speeds so far.
As both servers are on the same gb lan network I just feel there must be a more efficient automated way of achieving this.

Matthew

I think you'll have more luck looking at something to run on the Synology as the Melco is a restricted platform to run things on.
I don't know Synology but I know on QNAP you could set up a job to copy files on the QNAP to another device on the network.
So if you find a way to do this, you'd have to change your master copy to the Synology.
Is there a Synology website or forum where you can look for the appropriate utility.
01-10-2016, 09:02
Synology has an on board back up facility called "Hyper backup". Can be scheduled to run automatically whenever required. I back my music folder weekly to an attached usb drive.

Streaming from a Synology 1511+ to a Cyrus Stream XP2 QX, 2x Roberts 93i, A Revo Superconnect, a Mede8er 600 3D and a few Squeezeboxes thrown in!
01-10-2016, 16:37
(01-10-2016 06:30)malkit Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 22:07)Peter@57m Wrote:  

Backups are good.

I was really looking for a setup and forget solution than avoids the need for the computer at all as copying folders from one server to the other via my mac has given me incredibly slow file transfer speeds so far.

Matthew
Backups to the Melco are very slow. I use GetBackup on my Mac to sync my Melco to my master Qnap server. No problem for incremental backups but an all day job for a couple of TB. Not sure there is a better way until Melco add rsync to their operating system

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
08-10-2016, 11:22
how do you upgrade MinimServer on Melco
08-10-2016, 12:35
(08-10-2016 11:22)nrwatson Wrote:  how do you upgrade MinimServer on Melco

Please contact me by forum PM for questions about the installation and update process for Melco. I will reply to your question by PM.
14-11-2016, 09:31
Hello Simon,

Would you please be kind enough to pm the instructions for installing MinimServer on N1A? Thanks in advance.
14-11-2016, 22:29 (This post was last modified: 14-11-2016 22:37 by simoncn.)
The MinimServer installer for the Melco N1 is now available for public download. See this page for details.

If you have an older version of MinimServer installed on your Melco N1, this is no longer supported and you are advised to update to the new public download.
18-11-2016, 14:36
Simon - big thanks from a happy Melco and Minimserver user and I will make a further donation shortly to reflect that.

Can I just ask for confirmation that there is no action to take until the next release is available. i.e. the version numbers appear to coincide currently to my QNAP where relevant and so I assume this installer is ready for the next release.

Again thanks for the excellent quality of your code.