Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
27-02-2017, 19:27 (This post was last modified: 27-02-2017 19:51 by zheng4.)
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
I am new to this forum, just joined a couple of minutes ago. Apology if the following question had been raised and answered previously here (I don't have time to read the whole yet). I noticed a very recognizable improvement in 3D image and clarity after I inserted an optical connection between my router and PS Audio DirectStream DAC Junior (router-ethernet-TP link media converter-optical fiber-TP link media converter-ethernet-DAC/player). My music files currently reside on my Buffelotech NAS, which is close to its storage capacity, thus consider to expand the NAS or purchase a Melco unit. I stream music with Roon on my PC. Do any of you have the optical connection along with Melco? If yes, what further improvement with the Melco following inserting the optical connection? I guess I don't fully understand how Melco improves the sound. The optical connection really reduced much noise through the line. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2017, 19:42
(27-02-2017 19:27)zheng4 Wrote:  I am new to this forum, just joined a couple of minutes ago. Apology if the following question had been raised and answered previously here (I don't have time to read the whole yet). I noticed a very recognizable improvement in 3D image and clarity after I inserted an optic connection between my router and PS Audio DirectStream DAC Junior (router-ethernet-TP link media converter-optic fiber-TP link media converter-ethernet-DAC/player). My music files currently reside on my Buffelotech NAS, which is close to its storage capacity, thus consider to expand the NAS or purchase a Melco unit. I stream music with Roon on my PC. Do any of you have the optic connection along with Melco? If yes, what further improvement with the Melco following inserting the optic connection? I guess I don't fully understand how Melco improves the sound. The optic connection really reduced much noise through the line. Thanks.

I use a wi-fi dongle (a TP-Link one) plugged into the back of the Melco which then connects with the rest of my network, so a wi-fi bridge essentially, and I think it's a pretty decent improvement - less harsh, seems to be a lower noise floor - so I can imagine an optical bridge could potentially be as good if not better.
27-02-2017, 20:50
Did anyone compare the following three different setups? A music player similar to Roon on PC/music files on a NAS similar to Buffalotech (this does not accept third party app) (my current setup) vs minimserver on Synology NAS (about $800 US dollar) vs Melco N1A (about $1900 US dollar)? Thanks.
27-02-2017, 22:16
(27-02-2017 19:27)zheng4 Wrote:  Do any of you have the optical connection along with Melco? If yes, what further improvement with the Melco following inserting the optical connection? I guess I don't fully understand how Melco improves the sound. The optical connection really reduced much noise through the line. Thanks.

When I installed my Melco N1, this improved the sound for me. Some time later, I added an optical link between the Melco and the switch and this provided a further improvement.
28-02-2017, 00:39
(27-02-2017 22:16)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 19:27)zheng4 Wrote:  Do any of you have the optical connection along with Melco? If yes, what further improvement with the Melco following inserting the optical connection? I guess I don't fully understand how Melco improves the sound. The optical connection really reduced much noise through the line. Thanks.

When I installed my Melco N1, this improved the sound for me. Some time later, I added an optical link between the Melco and the switch and this provided a further improvement.
That is great to know. Thanks.
22-03-2017, 19:16 (This post was last modified: 22-03-2017 19:16 by amiglick.)
RE: Problem installing Minimserver on Melco N1ZH60
New to this forum.
I made an attempt to install Minimserver to my new Melco.
Followed exactly the very detailed instructions.
Everything went smooth, but at the end of item 5 I received : I/O error, error 033.
Tried with other new USB flash drive, the same error.
Any help ?
22-03-2017, 21:04
This message means that there was a problem writing from the flash drive to the Melco system partition.

The first thing to check is that the flash drive was created correctly. Did you do this on Windows or Mac?
22-03-2017, 23:02 (This post was last modified: 22-03-2017 23:13 by amiglick.)
I did it on Windows 10
I tried with 3 different USB flash drives.
Formatted NTFS, FAT32.
I noticed that in the instructions, the folder structure presented is named - 15-03-30-083257.
In my USB it is 17-02-03-194623. Maybe there is a problem here ?

Thanks.
22-03-2017, 23:34
The folder name that you have is correct. I will update the page to fix this.

Please try doing Initialise Settings on the N1 and then repeat the MinimServer installation starting with step 2.
23-03-2017, 09:36
(22-03-2017 23:34)simoncn Wrote:  The folder name that you have is correct. I will update the page to fix this.

Please try doing Initialise Settings on the N1 and then repeat the MinimServer installation starting with step 2.

It worked, thanks a lot !!
Installed Minimserver, works smoothly, zero problems so far !
Improvements in each and every parameter.

Appreciate this forum and Simon's quick responses.

Amnon