Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
08-07-2015, 14:53 (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 14:55 by Martin H.)
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
Simon, sorry I have misunderstood. I will go back and read things again. I started this with the understanding that minimstreamer transcoded DSF on the fly into WAV format so that it would play on the Linn (and other) DS. I.e. In the same way I had thought at least that it transcodes FLAC into WAV.

From your response, I guess not. Oops. Confused but nothing new there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 15:16
So is my only option for playing a dsf file on a Linn DS to convert it to something else beforehand ?
(Somehow)

I.e. There is no on the fly decoding to something playable?
08-07-2015, 15:31
(08-07-2015 15:16)Martin H Wrote:  So is my only option for playing a dsf file on a Linn DS to convert it to something else beforehand ?
(Somehow)

I.e. There is no on the fly decoding to something playable?

MinimServer does support transcoding DSF to WAV (not DoP/WAV). This requires a compatible version of ffmpeg to be installed as the stream converter. It is not possible currently to install ffmpeg on the Melco, so you would need to run MinimServer on a different platform to do this.
08-07-2015, 15:34
Thanks Simon. I am also running QNAPs on the network and so have options there. Apologies but is there somewhere that you recommend that I can read up on how to go about this or dome simply search for ffmpeg.

Also is this 'instead of minimstreamer or in tandem with it.
08-07-2015, 16:16
Actually I have an Oppo 95 and I suspect I can stream to that and it should work. Will check it later. Smile
08-07-2015, 18:43
(08-07-2015 16:16)Martin H Wrote:  Actually I have an Oppo 95 and I suspect I can stream to that and it should work. Will check it later. Smile

You should get better sound by streaming native DSD to the OPPO without transcoding to WAV. I am not sure whether the OPPO supports DoP/WAV. If not, you can remove dsf:dopwav from the stream.transcode property.
10-07-2015, 19:17
I had a demo of a Melco N1A today and very good it is but can anyone help to let me know if the following configuration is possible.

At present i have a Synology NAS running Minimserver and a Chord Hugo DAC with a Naim NDX, the NDX is about to be sold. Im looking for a new streamer and have also auditioned an Aurender, but was wondering if the Melco could be used with its USB out into Hugo, this part i know works, but rather than using the storage on the Melco i would like to keep my music files on my NAS.

Could Minimserver sitting on the NAS or on the Melco use the files on my NAS.

Graeme
10-07-2015, 21:03 (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 21:03 by simoncn.)
(10-07-2015 19:17)Foxman50 Wrote:  I had a demo of a Melco N1A today and very good it is but can anyone help to let me know if the following configuration is possible.

At present i have a Synology NAS running Minimserver and a Chord Hugo DAC with a Naim NDX, the NDX is about to be sold. Im looking for a new streamer and have also auditioned an Aurender, but was wondering if the Melco could be used with its USB out into Hugo, this part i know works, but rather than using the storage on the Melco i would like to keep my music files on my NAS.

Could Minimserver sitting on the NAS or on the Melco use the files on my NAS.

Graeme

I am using the USB streaming output of my Melco N1A to drive a Chord Hugo TT DAC. The sound (after burn-in) is excellent and the only problem is a short gap between tracks. Melco have told me this will be fixed in a future version of the N1A firmware.

I am running MinimServer on the N1A with my audio files also on the N1A. If you don't want to copy your audio files to the N1A, you could run MinimServer on your Synology NAS and use the N1A+Hugo as a UPnP renderer (streamer).
10-07-2015, 21:51
(10-07-2015 21:03)simoncn Wrote:  I am running MinimServer on the N1A with my audio files also on the N1A. If you don't want to copy your audio files to the N1A, you could run MinimServer on your Synology NAS and use the N1A+Hugo as a UPnP renderer (streamer).

Simon, so it is possible to run the Melco like this, as a upnp renderer. Basically then the Melco can be a direct replacement for my NDX.

Thanks as always Simon for the fast response

Graeme
10-07-2015, 22:11
Simon, Using the your instructions for BBC HLS streams will this work via the Melco also if Minimserver is installed on my Synology. Im presuming this would work for any iRadio station.

Graeme