Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 14.10: Problems with MinimWatch 0.8.3
20-12-2014, 20:38
RE: Ubuntu 14.10: Problems with MinimWatch 0.8.3
Quote:On Ubuntu 14.04/Unity:
Are you running setup as root/sudo or as a regular user? You should be running it as a regular user.

as a regular user

Quote:If you run setup now (as a regular user), does it say that desktop integration is enabled or disabled?

enabled, as per terminal output:

Code:
alfreddo12@Lanbox:~$ ~/minimwatch/bin/setup

MinimWatch desktop integration is enabled
MinimWatch automatic startup is enabled

Do you want to change these settings (y/n)?

Quote:If desktop integration is showing as enabled and you are running setup as the same user that you use to login to the desktop, I can't see how the launch icon would not be showing. To check whether or not desktop integration is enabled, setup looks for the existence of the launch icon. The file it looks for is ~/Desktop/minimwatch.desktop.

There is no icon, see attached screenshots.

According to minimwatch.log, everything seems to be ok:
Code:
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_65-b32)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Active subnet is 192.168.0.0
Selected media server: MinimServer [VortexBox]
MinimServer [VortexBox] is running

Less sure when looking at hs_err_pid14552.log (you got a pm)

KR
alfreddo12

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2014, 21:19
(20-12-2014 20:38)alfreddo12 Wrote:  There is no icon, see attached screenshots.

From the second screenshot, it looks like your desktop folder is named

..../Alfreddo12/Arbeitsfläche

instead of

..../Alfreddo12/Desktop

This seems likely to be the cause of the missing icon problem.

Is ..../Alfreddo12/Desktop linked to ..../Alfreddo12/Arbeitsfläche, or vice versa?

Does this name change (or additional link) for the Desktop folder happen automatically when the user language is set to German, or did you set this up yourself?

Quote:According to minimwatch.log, everything seems to be ok:
Code:
MinimWatch 0.8.3 update 30, Copyright (c) 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_65-b32)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Active subnet is 192.168.0.0
Selected media server: MinimServer [VortexBox]
MinimServer [VortexBox] is running

Less sure when looking at hs_err_pid14552.log (you got a pm)

KR
alfreddo12

I don't see this PM.
20-12-2014, 21:58
Quote:From the second screenshot, it looks like your desktop folder is named

..../Alfreddo12/Arbeitsfläche

instead of

..../Alfreddo12/Desktop

This seems likely to be the cause of the missing icon problem.

Is ..../Alfreddo12/Desktop linked to ..../Alfreddo12/Arbeitsfläche, or vice versa?

Does this name change (or additional link) for the Desktop folder happen automatically when the user language is set to German, or did you set this up yourself?

This change is done by the system automatically when setting another user language than English.
Nonetheless, your question is part of the solution: when checking my home directory, I realized that minimwatch created a fresh folder named Desktop during installation/setup (see attachment) ...
Thanks for helping a fool to see the evident.

The situation for the notebook remains unchanged (desktop integration not available, no new folder "Desktop" created), but has now lost much of its relevance from a user's perspective.

KR
alfreddo12

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

20-12-2014, 22:55
(20-12-2014 21:58)alfreddo12 Wrote:  This change is done by the system automatically when setting another user language than English.
Nonetheless, your question is part of the solution: when checking my home directory, I realized that minimwatch created a fresh folder named Desktop during installation/setup (see attachment) ...

Thanks for this information. I will need to think about how to handle this situation for all user languages.

Quote:The situation for the notebook remains unchanged (desktop integration not available, no new folder "Desktop" created), but has now lost much of its relevance from a user's perspective.

KR
alfreddo12

This might be a different symptom of the problem with the folder name changing because of the user language setting.

Thanks also for sending the hs_err log file. Did you see MinimWatch malfunction in any way or did you just notice that this file had been created?
21-12-2014, 06:10
(20-12-2014 22:55)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-12-2014 21:58)alfreddo12 Wrote:  This change is done by the system automatically when setting another user language than English.

Thanks for this information. I will need to think about how to handle this situation for all user languages.

Quote:The situation for the notebook remains unchanged (desktop integration not available, no new folder "Desktop" created), but has now lost much of its relevance from a user's perspective.

KR
alfreddo12

This might be a different symptom of the problem with the folder name changing because of the user language setting.

Thanks also for sending the hs_err log file. Did you see MinimWatch malfunction in any way or did you just notice that this file had been created?

No malfunction. KR alfreddo12
21-12-2014, 08:38
The setup command in MinimServer 0.8.3 doesn't create a new Desktop folder if this folder doesn't already exist. If this folder doesn't exist, setup says that desktop integration is not available. This is why you are getting this message on your 14.10 machine. On your 14.04 machine, the Desktop folder must have been created previously by some other program.

There is a file named ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs that specifies the language-specific name for the "Desktop" folder on your machine. I will change the setup command to read this file and use the name specified there.

The hs_err file is produced when the user logs out and MinimWatch is closed by the system. When this happens, MinimWatch restarts automatically as a daemon background process. I haven't yet found a way to prevent the hs_err file from being produced. It should be harmless and it shouldn't affect the correct operation of MinimWatch.

Thanks very much for reporting these issues. I will post back here when a fix for the Desktop folder issue is available.
21-12-2014, 12:14
I have just created manually a Desktop folder, run setup, moved the icon to Arbeitsfläche, deleted the Desktop folder, double-clicked the newly placed icon - and, hurray, MinimWatch works as it is expected to. Simply great. Thank you, Simon.
KR
alfreddo12
21-12-2014, 13:22
(21-12-2014 12:14)alfreddo12 Wrote:  I have just created manually a Desktop folder, run setup, moved the icon to Arbeitsfläche, deleted the Desktop folder, double-clicked the newly placed icon - and, hurray, MinimWatch works as it is expected to. Simply great. Thank you, Simon.
KR
alfreddo12

This might not work entirely correctly because MinimWatch will not be able to detect that desktop integration is enabled if there isn't an icon in the Desktop folder. Because of this, it would be better to retain the icon in the Desktop folder as well as having it in the Arbeitsfläche folder.
21-12-2014, 22:58
I have replaced the Linux 0.8.3 downloads with 0.8.3a versions. The 0.8.3a versions should handle a non-English name for the Desktop folder. I would appreciate it if someone with this setup could try 0.8.3a to confirm that it is working as expected.