Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downloading Java problem with Synology DS212j NAS
13-12-2014, 08:27
RE: Downloading Java problem with Synology DS212j NAS
(13-12-2014 07:40)InfernoSTi Wrote:  I'm trying to update Java on my PPC Synology NAS (213+). I can't manage it whatsoever. It always gives me the "digital copy not signed" or whatever that message is. Yes, I was signed in when I downloaded it. Yes, I unclicked "safe file" in Safari before I downloaded it. I've followed the same instructions I used to load it original Java edition. Totally frustrated here...

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks,
John

P.S. Why is it so impossibly hard to update Java on a NAS? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Can you post a screen shot of the exact error you are getting?

Which version of DSM are you running?

What is the exact name of the Java file that you downloaded?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 09:34 (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 09:43 by InfernoSTi.)
(13-12-2014 08:27)simoncn Wrote:  Can you post a screen shot of the exact error you are getting?

Which version of DSM are you running?

What is the exact name of the Java file that you downloaded?

Here is the error message:

Here is the Java file:

Here is the version of DSM (5.1):

And I'm sorry about my earlier post...I was (am) very frustrated. I should always post in a more positive manner, however.

John
13-12-2014, 11:49
(13-12-2014 09:34)InfernoSTi Wrote:  Here is the error message:

Here is the Java file:

Here is the version of DSM (5.1):

And I'm sorry about my earlier post...I was (am) very frustrated. I should always post in a more positive manner, however.

John

This message is caused by a change in DSM 5.1. To prevent it, you need to set the Package Center Trust Level to 'Any subscriber' and install the "Java SE Embedded 8" package again.

It is more difficult to install Java on a NAS that doesn't have Synology Java Manager available. Synology Java Manager is currently available for Intel and ARMv7 models. Because of Oracle's license terms for Java, it is unlikely that Synology will release Java Manager for PowerPC models (such as the DS213+) or ARMv5 models because this would require Synology to pay license fees to Oracle.
13-12-2014, 20:51
(13-12-2014 11:49)simoncn Wrote:  This message is caused by a change in DSM 5.1. To prevent it, you need to set the Package Center Trust Level to 'Any subscriber' and install the "Java SE Embedded 8" package again.

It is more difficult to install Java on a NAS that doesn't have Synology Java Manager available. Synology Java Manager is currently available for Intel and ARMv7 models. Because of Oracle's license terms for Java, it is unlikely that Synology will release Java Manager for PowerPC models (such as the DS213+) or ARMv5 models because this would require Synology to pay license fees to Oracle.

Simon,

This was exactly the solution. I was able to open the install, see that I needed to uninstall Java 7 before proceeding (which I did), and then install Java 8. Everything is current and running fine now!

On the why is it so hard question, that at least makes some sense. That said, I don't think I would ever have figured this out if you hadn't explained how to reset the package center "trust level" in DSM 5.1. I hope this post helps someone else out if they do a search.

I'm going to make a second (and equal) donation to MinimServer for the extra help you give everyone. I don't have a better way of showing my sincere thanks to you.

John
15-12-2014, 12:11
(13-12-2014 20:51)InfernoSTi Wrote:  On the why is it so hard question, that at least makes some sense. That said, I don't think I would ever have figured this out if you hadn't explained how to reset the package center "trust level" in DSM 5.1. I hope this post helps someone else out if they do a search.

I'm going to make a second (and equal) donation to MinimServer for the extra help you give everyone. I don't have a better way of showing my sincere thanks to you.

John

Thanks very much!

I have updated the installation instructions on this page to make other users aware of the Trust Level setting.