Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
problem installing minim server on Synology NAS DS212J)
13-11-2014, 18:57 (This post was last modified: 13-11-2014 18:57 by simoncn.)
RE: problem installing minim server on Synology NAS DS212J)
(13-11-2014 18:32)pinchi22 Wrote:  Only problem is that Synology DSM no longer shows up as an option under UPnP servers on my control point (iPad2). I don't miss it for now, but shouldn't it still appear as an OPTION in addition to MinimServer? I would like to do a double blind test comparing DSM to MinimServer as I have managed to set MinimServer to transcode to wav24.

You might have accidentally disabled or removed the Media Server package in the Synology Package Center.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2014, 21:49
Media Server is installed and Audio Station/Media Server does show both Disk Station and MinimServer.

Problem solved: rebooted NAS, DSM and control point and BOTH now appear in Naim iOS app!

(Now, if only I could get hi rez files to play using Disk Station. Get "Can't play" message...)
14-11-2014, 10:25
(13-11-2014 21:49)pinchi22 Wrote:  Media Server is installed and Audio Station/Media Server does show both Disk Station and MinimServer.

Problem solved: rebooted NAS, DSM and control point and BOTH now appear in Naim iOS app!

(Now, if only I could get hi rez files to play using Disk Station. Get "Can't play" message...)

What do you mean by Disk Station regarding playing Hi res? I have no problem playing 24/192flac using DS media server but sometimes the DS Audio Station takes a while to get going on hi res sources. Currently I am having some problems with DSD64 files using MinimServer/MinimStreamer but that may be the fault of my streamer rather than the NAS.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
14-11-2014, 15:02
I mean that nearly all of my high resolution audio files do not play using Disk Station. I can see the tracks with my control point (iPad3), I can select them, and the Naim app does tell me those tracks have been "added". Then, nothing. A "Can't play" message appears where the type of file normally appears, and after 15 seconds a "No track playing" message shows up. Of course there is no music.

Yet, I am still able to play a few of my hi resolution albums (all of which are evidently WAV88.2 or 96 kHz files).

I am able to play standard resolution files using the same Disk Station.

I am using Disk Station 5.1, Java v8 and the latest version of MinimServer.

Dazed and confused.
14-11-2014, 15:13
(14-11-2014 15:02)pinchi22 Wrote:  I mean that nearly all of my high resolution audio files do not play using Disk Station. I can see the tracks with my control point (iPad3), I can select them, and the Naim app does tell me those tracks have been "added". Then, nothing. A "Can't play" message appears where the type of file normally appears, and after 15 seconds a "No track playing" message shows up. Of course there is no music.

Yet, I am still able to play a few of my hi resolution albums (all of which are evidently WAV88.2 or 96 kHz files).

I am able to play standard resolution files using the same Disk Station.

I am using Disk Station 5.1, Java v8 and the latest version of MinimServer.

Dazed and confused.
May I ask what resolution and file format are not playing?

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
14-11-2014, 16:24
[/quote]
[/quote]

That is an excellent question. The "Can't play" message appears precisely in the field on the Naim app that normally shows those data. Thus, I don't know.

Can I find these data elsewhere?
14-11-2014, 16:44
[/quote]

That is an excellent question. The "Can't play" message appears precisely in the field on the Naim app that normally shows those data. Thus, I don't know.

[/quote]

Not sure how to find out about the resolution without installing audio station but the format should be the file extension that you can see using the file manager. Formats like .wav, .flac, .dff, .dsf, .aiff etc.
Formats like .dff and .dsf need to be packaged to DOPwav using minimstreamer and resolutions greater than 24/192 are not supported over ethernet.

14-11-2014, 19:49
(14-11-2014 16:44)beckphotonik Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 16:24)pinchi22 Wrote:  

[/quote]

Not sure how to find out about the resolution without installing audio station but the format should be the file extension that you can see using the file manager. Formats like .wav, .flac, .dff, .dsf, .aiff etc.
Formats like .dff and .dsf need to be packaged to DOPwav using minimstreamer and resolutions greater than 24/192 are not supported over ethernet.
[/quote]

The high resolution files that don't play using Disk Station are in .flac format.

I don't know what resolution they are. I have looked in Audio Station/Media Server and File Station but do not see any resolution info.

Is it possible that ticking transcoding to wav in Disk Station (or even transcoding to wav24 in MinimServer) is the cause?
14-11-2014, 22:08
(14-11-2014 19:49)pinchi22 Wrote:  The high resolution files that don't play using Disk Station are in .flac format.

I don't know what resolution they are. I have looked in Audio Station/Media Server and File Station but do not see any resolution info.

Is it possible that ticking transcoding to wav in Disk Station (or even transcoding to wav24 in MinimServer) is the cause?

When you say "Disk Station", do you mean the Synology Media Server? If not, please post a link to the "Disk Station" software you are using.
15-11-2014, 01:40 (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 01:42 by pinchi22.)
(14-11-2014 22:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 19:49)pinchi22 Wrote:  The high resolution files that don't play using Disk Station are in .flac format.

When you say "Disk Station", do you mean the Synology Media Server? If not, please post a link to the "Disk Station" software you are using.

Yes, I mean the blue "Synology Disk Station" app - rather than the MinimServer app - that I open on my control point (iPad3) when I can choose a UPnP server to play the music.