Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A minor formatting problem
19-10-2014, 11:33 (This post was last modified: 19-10-2014 18:14 by Pastim.)
A minor formatting problem
I recently decided to include the disc and track number in track titles. My tagFormat is therefore like:

Code:
Title.displayFormat={$discnumber$tracknumber^^ - ^:$title^$date^ (^)$rating^ [^]$#AudioData^ [^]}

On multi-disc sets the nth track on the nth disc, instead of displaying, n:n shows just n. so in the example attached, 03:3 shows as just 03 (when there are more than 9 discs or tracks I tend to include a leading 0 for the benefit of systems that don't sort numbers correctly).

The first track on a single disc set is fine, as is the 2nd track on a 2 disc set.

I have tested this with two different control points (upplay and foobar2000).

Edit - As I sat down to listen to a single disc album I noticed track 1 had the same problem as the multi-disc sets (showing 1 instead of 1:1), but other albums don't have the problem I haven't tested much more (too busy listening) but it may be a more general, albeit trivial, issue.

Strange.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2014, 13:11
RE: A minor formatting problem
(19-10-2014 11:33)Pastim Wrote:  I recently decided to include the disc and track number in track titles. My tagFormat is therefore like:

Code:
Title.displayFormat={$discnumber$tracknumber^^ - ^:$title^$date^ (^)$rating^ [^]$#AudioData^ [^]}

On multi-disc sets the nth track on the nth disc, instead of displaying, n:n shows just n. so in the example attached, 03:3 shows as just 03 (when there are more than 9 discs or tracks I tend to include a leading 0 for the benefit of systems that don't sort numbers correctly).

The first track on a single disc set is fine, as is the 2nd track on a 2 disc set.

Edit - As I sat down to listen to a single disc album I noticed track 1 had the same problem as the multi-disc sets (showing 1 instead of 1:1), but other albums don't have the problem I haven't tested much more (too busy listening) but it may be a more general, albeit trivial, issue.

Strange.

Some of this is the result of MinimServer automatically removing duplicate identical values (e.g., 3:3 or 03:03). If the values aren't identical (e.g, 03:3 or 3:03), this shouldn't happen. For some reason, duplicate removal is happening for 03:3 but not for 3:03. I''ll investigate further and post an update.
22-10-2014, 13:39
(22-10-2014 13:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-10-2014 11:33)Pastim Wrote:  I recently decided to include the disc and track number in track titles. My tagFormat is therefore like:

Code:

Strange.

Some of this is the result of MinimServer automatically removing duplicate identical values (e.g., 3:3 or 03:03). If the values aren't identical (e.g, 03:3 or 3:03), this shouldn't happen. For some reason, duplicate removal is happening for 03:3 but not for 3:03. I''ll investigate further and post an update.
Why would minimserver detect 'duplicate' data when it is only numerically the same but different in meaning (eg one is disc and one is track, separated by a non-numeric separator)? I assume this detection was introduced for some other reason. It seems a little strange. I spent many hours trying to find out what was wrong with my disc and track numbers before posting here (I tend to assume it's my fault....).

Where else might minimserver do something like this?
23-10-2014, 09:33 (This post was last modified: 23-10-2014 09:33 by simoncn.)
(22-10-2014 13:39)Pastim Wrote:  Why would minimserver detect 'duplicate' data when it is only numerically the same but different in meaning (eg one is disc and one is track, separated by a non-numeric separator)? I assume this detection was introduced for some other reason. It seems a little strange. I spent many hours trying to find out what was wrong with my disc and track numbers before posting here (I tend to assume it's my fault....).

The format string is a sequence of one or more format items. Duplicate values are eliminated within a format item but they are preserved across different format items. If you don't want duplicate $discnumber and $tracknumber values to be eliminated, you need to put $discnumber and $tracknumber in different format items, as follows:

Title.displayFormat={$discnumber^^:^^$tracknumber^^ - ^^$title^$date^ (^)$rating^ [^]$#AudioData^ [^]}

Eliminating duplicate values within the same format item can be useful when multiple tags contains the same value. For example, the Artist might also be the Soloist, Performer, Conductor, Orchestra or Composer.
23-10-2014, 11:41
(23-10-2014 09:33)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 13:39)Pastim Wrote:  Why would minimserver detect 'duplicate' data when it is only numerically the same but different in meaning (eg one is disc and one is track, separated by a non-numeric separator)? I assume this detection was introduced for some other reason. It seems a little strange. I spent many hours trying to find out what was wrong with my disc and track numbers before posting here (I tend to assume it's my fault....).

The format string is a sequence of one or more format items. Duplicate values are eliminated within a format item but they are preserved across different format items. If you don't want duplicate $discnumber and $tracknumber values to be eliminated, you need to put $discnumber and $tracknumber in different format items, as follows:

Title.displayFormat={$discnumber^^:^^$tracknumber^^ - ^^$title^$date^ (^)$rating^ [^]$#AudioData^ [^]}

Eliminating duplicate values within the same format item can be useful when multiple tags contains the same value. For example, the Artist might also be the Soloist, Performer, Conductor, Orchestra or Composer.
Gosh - that's clever. Thanks. Smile
23-10-2014, 13:37
(22-10-2014 13:11)simoncn Wrote:  For some reason, duplicate removal is happening for 03:3 but not for 3:03. I''ll investigate further and post an update.

I've found the bug that's causing this and I'm working on a fix.
23-10-2014, 13:53
That's quick. In the mean time I'm using your alternative layout, since I don't want to detect duplicates in this case.

Thanks again.