Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oppo Media Control V3.0 app does not work with MinimServer
06-10-2014, 16:12
Oppo Media Control V3.0 app does not work with MinimServer
Oppo has just released v3.0 of their Media Control iPad/iPhone app for Oppo BDP-10x players. This version now supports DLNA.

Media Control 3.0 shows the MinimServer installation on my Synology NAS as an available source but selecting it just causes a refresh of the sources list.

I strongly suspect that this is an Oppo Media Control bug rather than an issue with MinimServer but thought it worth posting here just in case Simon has any thoughts on the matter.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 19:16
RE: Oppo Media Control V3.0 app does not work with MinimServer
(06-10-2014 16:12)haggis999 Wrote:  Oppo has just released v3.0 of their Media Control iPad/iPhone app for Oppo BDP-10x players. This version now supports DLNA.

Media Control 3.0 shows the MinimServer installation on my Synology NAS as an available source but selecting it just causes a refresh of the sources list.

I strongly suspect that this is an Oppo Media Control bug rather than an issue with MinimServer but thought it worth posting here just in case Simon has any thoughts on the matter.

David

Based on all my previous experience with OPPO, I think it's very likely that this is a bug in the OPPO software.
06-10-2014, 19:42
I have already reported it to Oppo tech support but have yet to receive a response.

David
09-10-2014, 11:55
My first attempt to contact Oppo tech support via an email address they used in the past did not seem to work, so last night I contacted them again via the support form on the Oppo UK website. As well as mentioning my problem with the version of Oppo Media Control 3.0 on the iPad I told them that the new Android version of their app also fails to work with MinimServer on my Synology NAS.

As a postscript, I asked if they planned to upgrade Media Control to display CD cover art and if they were making any progress on developing a firmware update that would enable the Oppo BDP-105 player to support gapless playback over DLNA, something they told me they were working on over a year ago. The gapless playback question seemed timely, as V3.0 of Oppo Media Control is the first to support DLNA.

I received the following reply this morning.

Quote:Dear David

The compatibility between OPPO and Synology has always been a bit unstable and have never worked as well as other NAS systems, this is very unfortunate but it is being looked into.
The Mediacontrol are working with cover art but it seems again that it does not work well with Synology servers.

Gapless over network has proven to be difficult because of the amount of buffer it needs to work, but engineers are still working to find a solution for this.

Best Regards
Bjorn
OPPO European Support Engineer

I'm quite surprised to hear that it is a Synology-related issue that is preventing Oppo Media Control 3.0 from talking to my installation of MinimServer. Synology is not exactly a minor player in the NAS world and solo developers like the Frenchman who created BubbleUPnP don't appear to have a similar problem.

The claim that CD cover art is normally displayed unless a Synology NAS is being used is incorrect. Oppo Media Control 3.0 can play files stored on my PC via a DLNA connection but still does not show the embedded cover art.

In addition to the above mentioned issues, this new version of Oppo Media Control seems even flakier than before and required me to restart the app several times. Thankfully, my current established music playback system, i.e. MinimServer on Synology NAS => BubbleUPnP => JRiver Media Center (in DLNA renderer mode) => Oppo asynch USB input, still works fine.

This thread has now strayed a bit far from MinimServer but perhaps other Oppo users may find this info useful.

David