Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming multichannel dsf files
11-10-2014, 22:57
Streaming multichannel dsf files
Hello all, newbie, first post.

MinimServer is incredible! It has enabled me to stream stereo dsf files from my ethernet/networked Windows PC to my Marantz SR6009 AVR. The playback shows up as DSD 2.884MHz and sounds wonderful.

Now I am trying to get multichannel to work. When I try to play a multichannel dsf file I get the error "File Format Error". Any suggestions for a work-around?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2014, 23:04
RE: Streaming multichannel dsf files
(11-10-2014 22:57)cordobaman Wrote:  Hello all, newbie, first post.

MinimServer is incredible! It has enabled me to stream stereo dsf files from my ethernet/networked Windows PC to my Marantz SR6009 AVR. The playback shows up as DSD 2.884MHz and sounds wonderful.

Now I am trying to get multichannel to work. When I try to play a multichannel dsf file I get the error "File Format Error". Any suggestions for a work-around?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable renderer that I could use to test this.

Are you using the dsf:dopwav setting in the stream.transcode property?
11-10-2014, 23:42 (This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 01:50 by cordobaman.)
(11-10-2014 23:04)simoncn Wrote:  Unfortunately, I don't have a suitable renderer that I could use to test this.

Are you using the dsf:dopwav setting in the stream.transcode property?

Simon--
I added the dsf:dopwav setting in the stream.transcode property and then no DSD would play. It "tried" stereo as a WAV...just sat there. And the multichannel continued to have the file format error message.

I took the dopwav out, restarted everything, and stereo now plays again in glorious DSD 2.8224MHz

What else can we try?
12-10-2014, 07:58
(11-10-2014 23:42)cordobaman Wrote:  Simon--
I added the dsf:dopwav setting in the stream.transcode property and then no DSD would play. It "tried" stereo as a WAV...just sat there. And the multichannel continued to have the file format error message.

I took the dopwav out, restarted everything, and stereo now plays again in glorious DSD 2.8224MHz

What else can we try?

If you aren't using dsf:dopwav transcoding, MinimServer is streaming the exact contents of the original .dsf file for both stereo and multichannel .dsf files. Have you confirmed that this multichannel .dsf file can be played on the renderer using a USB connection?

If the file does play with a USB connection, there are two possible causes for the problem:

1) It's possible that the renderer doesn't support streaming multichannel DSF files across a UPnP network connection. Some renderers support certain stream types for USB connections only, and this might be what is happening here. You could check this with the renderer manufacturer.

2) It's possible that MinimServer is reporting the stream format incorrectly to the control point or renderer. If you can eliminate the other possible reasons for the problem, we can pursue this possibility.
12-10-2014, 13:28
(12-10-2014 07:58)simoncn Wrote:  ...Have you confirmed that this multichannel .dsf file can be played on the renderer using a USB connection?

Simoncn--good thinking having me try with USB. No joy unfortunately for multichannel using a flash drive plugged direct into the USB port of the Marantz. It tries, then simply does nothing.

Time to contact Marantz and see if we can add that function to the wish list for future firmware updates.

Thanks you very much for helping me troubleshoot!