• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to organize and tag classical music
05-02-2016, 15:45
RE: How to organize and tag classical music
(05-02-2016 15:33)Pastim Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 15:18)Suth Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 11:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(05-02-2016 09:49)Suth Wrote:  Hi,
I am happy to share my experience with tagging classical music and you'll understand why i ended up using minimserver and nothing else.
I tagged my music with Foobar that is highly flexible. For Classical musical i created additional fields like area (Baroque, Classical, middle-age, etc...), performer (I use the composer as artist), instruments, tone, country. And for title, i reference the catalog number when it exists rather than a name (BWV for Bach, RV for Vivaldi, etc...) and i created a movement field. It is created with a number to indicate which movement it is and additional info like adagio, andante, etc...
I have done that to be able to find quickly in Foobar a given composition. Other name commonly used is refered as a comment.
Then i had to find a server able to display this information in a readable manner. In Minimserver, i have merged title and movement to see what i was playing. Anyway, the track number puts everything in the right order, but it is useful to see what you listen.
The only thing i am missing in minimserver is conditional choice. For exemple, i would like to do actions only if the track belongs to classical music. It would enable me to have the right view for each type of music.
If any of you have an idea, he is welcome !
I used Cambridge CXU as a renderer, Bubbleupnp as control point and Synology

Thanks for sharing this. Can you give some examples of the actions you would like to do for classical music only?

Typically, for rock music i do not need to merge title and movement fields as the moevement field is empty. I would use that typeof merging only for classical.
Another example, all my artists in classical are Last name, First name (Vivaldi, Antonio). In other genres they are First name last name (David Bowie). So if i start to do action on artist, it would end up in a big mess. I have not been consistent between classical and other music because my needs were different.
There's probably no harm in merging title and movement if movement is empty - you get the result you want all the same.

For names, one thing you could do is use mp3tag or puddletag to do some conditional generation of sort names (ARTISTSORT), or a new tag field if you prefer, based on the genre, so that the new tag ends up being consistent across all genres. It's not exactly trivial, but it can be done.

Another approach would be to do both types of 'action' (whatever it is - I'm not sure what you are trying to do) generating both non-classical and classical names, and then use the 'classical' filter I suggested earlier to see the type of thing you want.

Thanks, i'll try. I spend a lot of time on looking at all the possibilities and i would say it is a lot of fun and at the end a high level of comfort.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to organize and tag classical music - Suth - 05-02-2016 15:45