Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to organize and tag classical music
10-10-2014, 12:32
RE: How to organize and tag classical music
(10-10-2014 11:05)Pastim Wrote:  I have a solution, whose technical name is 'a bodge'.

I created 1 second silent flacs for the missing discs with the same Album name and AlbumArtist(s). Not pretty, but it stops the error messages and allows the groups to be defined.

The bulk of the work I have to do now to make groups work is attend to albums where there are multiple versions of the same work. I'm doing this by creating a new tag called GroupSuffix. This can be empty, present or FALSE. When my standard tagging action is invoked (which I use on all tracks) it copies Work (if present) plus GroupSuffix (if present and not FALSE and Work is present) to Group. If work is present and GroupSuffix is FALSE, the Group is not populated. GroupSuffix could also be used to contain 'Act 1' or whatever should I decided to split works up in that sort of way.

So most of my tracks have Work as Group. Where there are multiple versions, I enter a GroupSuffix. Where it's a recital disc and there are excerpts in sundry non-consecutive tracks, I copy the Movement name to the GroupSuffix.

As and when I have to re-tag all my tracks (as happened recently to solve my multiple AlbumArtist issue, and will happen again to solve other issues), all the tags get reset correctly without manual intervention.

Does any of that make sense? I hope it might be useful to others.

Thanks for posting this and it does make sense.

I am hoping to add support in MinimServer for multiple groups with the same name in the same album. See this thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to organize and tag classical music - simoncn - 10-10-2014 12:32