Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to find MinimServer in Kinsky
31-08-2014, 19:01
Unable to find MinimServer in Kinsky
I have just returned from several weeks away during which I had switched off my QNAP server with MinimServer on it. I also have Twonky. When I switched the server back on again, I could not find MinimServer. Twonky is there, working fine. I also have Kazoo installed (although I am having problems with that, it does not display all my album art, etc).

My dealer who set up the system has not shown me how to "go into" the QNAP server, he installed MinimServer on it for me. I can contact him to come out and try to re-find MinimServer, but I wonder whether there is something simple that I can do to bring it back up.

Grateful for all advice.

Best regards,

Gonzalez
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2014, 21:04
RE: Unable to find MinimServer in Kinsky
(31-08-2014 19:01)Gonzalez Wrote:  I have just returned from several weeks away during which I had switched off my QNAP server with MinimServer on it. I also have Twonky. When I switched the server back on again, I could not find MinimServer. Twonky is there, working fine. I also have Kazoo installed (although I am having problems with that, it does not display all my album art, etc).

My dealer who set up the system has not shown me how to "go into" the QNAP server, he installed MinimServer on it for me. I can contact him to come out and try to re-find MinimServer, but I wonder whether there is something simple that I can do to bring it back up.

Grateful for all advice.

Best regards,

Gonzalez

The first thing to check is whether MinimServer is enabled in the QNAP App Center. Are you familiar with using the QNAP admin UI?
01-09-2014, 10:23
(31-08-2014 21:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(31-08-2014 19:01)Gonzalez Wrote:  I have just returned from several weeks away during which I had switched off my QNAP server with MinimServer on it. I also have Twonky. When I switched the server back on again, I could not find MinimServer. Twonky is there, working fine. I also have Kazoo installed (although I am having problems with that, it does not display all my album art, etc).

Grateful for all advice.

Best regards,

Gonzalez

The first thing to check is whether MinimServer is enabled in the QNAP App Center. Are you familiar with using the QNAP admin UI?

Thanks for your reply Simon. No, I am not familiar with the QNAP admin UI, but I am more than willing to learn!
01-09-2014, 10:42
(01-09-2014 10:23)Gonzalez Wrote:  Thanks for your reply Simon. No, I am not familiar with the QNAP admin UI, but I am more than willing to learn!

You can find the online manual for the QNAP admin UI on this page.

For instructions on how to login to the admin UI, see Getting Started > Connecting to NAS by Web Browser.

For details of how to use the App Center, see QNAP Applications > App Center.

Under My Apps in App Center, is MinimServer enabled (ON in green) or disabled (OFF in red)?
04-09-2014, 09:58
(01-09-2014 10:42)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 10:23)Gonzalez Wrote:  Thanks for your reply Simon. No, I am not familiar with the QNAP admin UI, but I am more than willing to learn!

You can find the online manual for the QNAP admin UI on this page.

For instructions on how to login to the admin UI, see Getting Started > Connecting to NAS by Web Browser.

For details of how to use the App Center, see QNAP Applications > App Center.

Under My Apps in App Center, is MinimServer enabled (ON in green) or disabled (OFF in red)?

Thanks for your reply, Simon. When I try to find the QNAP using the QNAP Finder installed on my computer it does not find the server (Is QNAP QFinder different from Finder?) I am working via wi-fi I have not tried a direct connection. I have asked my dealer to drop by, he will come on Tuesday.....shall I wait until then? I can still work the system using the dreaded Twonky.Confused

Regards
04-09-2014, 11:04
(04-09-2014 09:58)Gonzalez Wrote:  Thanks for your reply, Simon. When I try to find the QNAP using the QNAP Finder installed on my computer it does not find the server (Is QNAP QFinder different from Finder?) I am working via wi-fi I have not tried a direct connection. I have asked my dealer to drop by, he will come on Tuesday.....shall I wait until then? I can still work the system using the dreaded Twonky.Confused

Regards

QNAP Finder is working for me. I don't know what QFinder is. Perhaps you should wait for the dealer and watch and take notes on what he does to bring up the QNAP admin UI and get MinimServer to start.
09-09-2014, 10:00
(04-09-2014 11:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-09-2014 09:58)Gonzalez Wrote:  Thanks for your reply, Simon. When I try to find the QNAP using the QNAP Finder installed on my computer it does not find the server (Is QNAP QFinder different from Finder?) I am working via wi-fi I have not tried a direct connection. I have asked my dealer to drop by, he will come on Tuesday.....shall I wait until then? I can still work the system using the dreaded Twonky.Confused

Regards

QNAP Finder is working for me. I don't know what QFinder is. Perhaps you should wait for the dealer and watch and take notes on what he does to bring up the QNAP admin UI and get MinimServer to start.

Hi Simon,

My dealer has just been round and I thought you might like to know that we have sorted the problem. It was that the QNAP file was located in my Parallels environment and Finder could not find the QNAP . As soon as we downloaded the QNAP software in the OSx environment it found the QNAP straightaway and we were able to activate MinimServer. I have taken notes....
Thanks for your help. I now will think about updating my MinimServer version, I am still on 0.72 .
Regards Gonzalez
09-09-2014, 20:18
(09-09-2014 10:00)Gonzalez Wrote:  Hi Simon,

My dealer has just been round and I thought you might like to know that we have sorted the problem. It was that the QNAP file was located in my Parallels environment and Finder could not find the QNAP . As soon as we downloaded the QNAP software in the OSx environment it found the QNAP straightaway and we were able to activate MinimServer. I have taken notes....
Thanks for your help. I now will think about updating my MinimServer version, I am still on 0.72 .
Regards Gonzalez

I'm glad to hear the problem is fixed now.

If your QNAP NAS is running QTS 4.0 or later, it should be easy to update MinimServer to the latest 0.8.2 version using the QNAP App Center. See the "Updating MinimServer and Java using the App Center" section of this page for detailed instructions.
15-09-2014, 09:28
(09-09-2014 20:18)simoncn Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:00)Gonzalez Wrote:  Hi Simon,

Regards Gonzalez

I'm glad to hear the problem is fixed now.

If your QNAP NAS is running QTS 4.0 or later, it should be easy to update MinimServer to the latest 0.8.2 version using the QNAP App Center. See the "Updating MinimServer and Java using the App Center" section of this page for detailed instructions.

Dear Simon,

Successfully upgraded both QNAP firmware and MinimServer yesterday. Not so difficult really, even for a non-techy like me! Thanks for your help.