Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple "Error: format error in WAV file"
14-08-2014, 20:09
RE: Multiple "Error: format error in WAV file"
(12-08-2014 22:16)simoncn Wrote:  This isn't the first time I have come across a form size problem with files downloaded from HDTracks (see this post). I will try contacting HDTracks to see if they have any interest in fixing this problem.

Could you upload to my FTP server a problem file that you ripped with JRiver so that I can see if this has the same format problem as the HDTracks downloads? Thanks very much for your help with this!

Thanks very much! I've checked this file and it has the same problem as the HDTracks download (form size is wrong).

I tried ripping a CD to WAV using JRiver 19.0.146 and the WAV files don't have this problem. Huh

Did you edit this file with a tagging program after ripping it? If so, the tagging program might have caused the problem. The other possibilty is that the file was ripped with an older version of JRiver that had a bug, but I can't find any reports of such a bug on the forums.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2014, 11:49
(14-08-2014 20:09)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks very much! I've checked this file and it has the same problem as the HDTracks download (form size is wrong).

I tried ripping a CD to WAV using JRiver 19.0.146 and the WAV files don't have this problem. Huh

Did you edit this file with a tagging program after ripping it? If so, the tagging program might have caused the problem. The other possibilty is that the file was ripped with an older version of JRiver that had a bug, but I can't find any reports of such a bug on the forums.

The mystery is solved. I found the following in the release notes for JRiver MC19:

19.0.57 (10/17/2013)
1. Fixed: When converting audio to WAV format, the RIFF chunk size could be set wrong by 8 bytes.

The file you uploaded was ripped using JRiver 19.0.32, so this is why the WAV file has an incorrect form size.
15-08-2014, 19:16
(15-08-2014 11:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-08-2014 20:09)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks very much! I've checked this file and it has the same problem as the HDTracks download (form size is wrong).

The mystery is solved. I found the following in the release notes for JRiver MC19:

19.0.57 (10/17/2013)
1. Fixed: When converting audio to WAV format, the RIFF chunk size could be set wrong by 8 bytes.

The file you uploaded was ripped using JRiver 19.0.32, so this is why the WAV file has an incorrect form size.

That explains most of it, there are still some files that were downloads from a few different sites and I still have the problem.

I did a WAV to WAV conversion on a few files and they work well. I am in the process of doing a batch conversion on the rest.

Kind of funny about JRiver since I have used it for ripping since JRiver 18 (probably 17).

Thanks. If you don't hear from me...

rwjr44
15-08-2014, 20:21
(15-08-2014 19:16)Rwjr44 Wrote:  That explains most of it, there are still some files that were downloads from a few different sites and I still have the problem.

These sites might have used the buggy version of JRiver to create the files.

Quote:Kind of funny about JRiver since I have used it for ripping since JRiver 18 (probably 17).

Perhaps the other servers you have used previously don't check the form size. MinimServer does this because there might be extra data at the end of the file (beyond the extent of the form size) which shouldn't be read by the server.
16-08-2014, 15:52
(15-08-2014 20:21)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-08-2014 19:16)Rwjr44 Wrote:  That explains most of it, there are still some files that were downloads from a few different sites and I still have the problem.

These sites might have used the buggy version of JRiver to create the files.

Quote:Kind of funny about JRiver since I have used it for ripping since JRiver 18 (probably 17).

Perhaps the other servers you have used previously don't check the form size. MinimServer does this because there might be extra data at the end of the file (beyond the extent of the form size) which shouldn't be read by the server.

Well it took 24 hours to completely batch Wav to Wav convert my PCM Files and now the rescan works well. Just three unknown albums, a number of incorrect date tags and two "Warning: ID3v2 TYER frame has incorrect value '0' at offset XXX" flags.

I'll decide whether any further tagging is needed later.

Thanks for your assistance.